The Official 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
    And in proper Illinois fashion, we re-elected an expelled, indicted state House rep...

God my state is full of idiots.
    QFT

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
      What a ridiculous thing to say.
      It's not, really. Non-Americans almost universally don't comprehend America's roots as a federation, not a homogenous nation. Quite a few Americans don't also, but that's beside the point. IMO, by definition anyone who says "the winner should always be the one with the majority of the vote" is making clear his/her lack of understanding of why the EC exists. You might as well abolish the Senate, if you're going that route; it exists for precisely the same reason, namely, ensuring the less populous states have a reasonable say in the running of our nation.

For those of you in Europe, it would be like telling Belgium they don't get as much of a say in the EU's governance as the French do because of the population imbalance. You certainly don't elect the head of the EU by strict popular vote (IIRC you select it by national delegates voting, right? EC is exactly that, but for states.)
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by H Tower View Post
        QFT
        At least Bill Foster won. Of the three gerrymandered districts, his was the one I thought the Dems needed to take. The other two I think are mistakes for our state - Duckworth is every bit as corrupt as the ads make her out to be (for once), although I think Walsh made a huge error in criticizing her for not being as much of a hero as she claimed; that's not a point you can win, Joe. And Dold is actually a very moderate guy who seems appropriate for that district, whereas Schneider seemed like he is just slimy. But what can you do.

Comment

• All four gay marriage ballot measures are trending for equality. NOM is about to lose one of their chief talking points.

Obama is ahead in VA by ~50,000 and all the outstanding areas are Democratic. He'll win it.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It's not, really. Non-Americans almost universally don't comprehend America's roots as a federation, not a homogenous nation.
            Yes it really is. You said basically that only an American could understand American history and your electoral process, which was a singularly ridiculous thing to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
              Bill O'Reilly has also flown off the handle.

"It's Not a Traditional America Anymore... The White Establishment Is Now a Minority..."

Bill O'Reilly is a pinhead. His show is only ever good because of the guests he has on.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• I don't see a good reason to suppose that distributing political power unevenly so that a vote cast in a less populous "state" will have more influence than a vote cast in a more populous "state" will lead to better results. It will probably just lead to stupid things like farm subsidies that allow the people in more rural, less populous states to leech off of everyone else.

Comment

Yes it really is. You said basically that only an American could understand American history and your electoral process, which was a singularly ridiculous thing to say.
                  However, I have yet to find an example that disproves this.

Comment

• OK, Colorado is bucking for 2nd on the idiot list tonight. A proposition was passed there making Marijuana legal in the state. Marijuana of course remains illegal in the US.

Fox News just repeated this quote from a member of the opposition to the prop:
                    "Don't break out the Cheetos and Goldfish just yet"

Comment

While I have always had a great deal of respect for snoopy (and still do ), I agree with kentonio...and would go so far as to say it's the pompous type of statement I would expect out of an American.
                      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

It's not, really. Non-Americans almost universally don't comprehend America's roots as a federation, not a homogenous nation. Quite a few Americans don't also, but that's beside the point. IMO, by definition anyone who says "the winner should always be the one with the majority of the vote" is making clear his/her lack of understanding of why the EC exists. You might as well abolish the Senate, if you're going that route; it exists for precisely the same reason, namely, ensuring the less populous states have a reasonable say in the running of our nation.
                        The Senate should be abolished, because it is INSANE that Wyoming has as much a say as California.

The Electoral College is a complete anachronism, as is the notion that the United States is still somehow 50 different countries.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          I don't see a good reason to suppose that distributing political power unevenly so that a vote cast in a less populous "state" will have more influence than a vote cast in a more populous "state" will lead to better results. It will probably just lead to stupid things like farm subsidies that allow the people in more rural, less populous states to leech off of everyone else.
                          It has zero to do with the individual value of a vote, and everything to do with the relevance of the state's interests. Farm subsidies are idiotic, true, but the opposite - a country run by urban voters exclusively - would hardly be better.

Comment

However, I have yet to find an example that disproves this.
                            I've never found a brazilian girl in my bed at night, obviously brazilian girls must not sleep.

Comment

It has zero to do with the individual value of a vote, and everything to do with the relevance of the state's interests. Farm subsidies are idiotic, true, but the opposite - a country run by urban voters exclusively - would hardly be better.
                              I agree with this. I think it's undeniable the electoral college is highly flawed, however.

Comment

I've never found a brazilian girl in my bed at night, obviously brazilian girls must not sleep.
                                Maybe not with YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                X