Pointless referendum on Scottish independance set for 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    It has nothing to do with whether they deserve it, it has to do with whether it serves our interests. The UN isn't about some pathetic notion of international fairness.
    It's in our interest to back a horse that can help us in a meaningful way. A truncated nuclear weaponsless UK that can't fight outside it's own borders anyway would not be anywhere near as helpful as India or Japan.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• The SC is meaningless if it doesn't contain the 'big boys'.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
        It's questionable that the UK deserves to be on the Security Council as it is. If Scotland goes you can bet your ass no one in the Rump UK is going to be willing to pay the costs entailed in building a new SSBN base, so there goes the UK nuclear deterrent. The UK conventional military is laughable(Denmark flew more combat sorties over Libya then the RAF did), and their economy isn't so powerful that they can throw their weight around with it.

So, stick Japan(the rump-IJN being bigger then the RN in tonnage) or India on there.
        Are you actually retarded? We have the 4th largest military expenditure on the planet, and no matter what Scotland wants to do with its oh so significant 5m people, we will retain the same nuclear capability we have right now just based elsewhere. If anything Scotland ****ing off would strengthen the odds on us remaining a nuclear power, because it makes the rest of the nation more conservative.

As for 'kicking us off the big boy table', a) What exactly makes you think the other members of that table would support you? and b) It says a lot about how incredibly stupid so many Americans are recently, that you'd spit in the face of your closest global ally.

Comment

• lonestar is still butthurt about that libya thread it seems.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I actually agree with this assessment...
            I don't, it's as retarded as saying many Republicans learnt everything they know about American history from watching The Patriot. No need to inflate Mel's ego.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It has nothing to do with whether they deserve it, it has to do with whether it serves our interests. The UN isn't about some pathetic notion of international fairness.
              You'll find that governments seek advancement of their interests mostly where they can construct a justification in terms of appropriateness. Notions of appropriateness mostly transcend simple ideas of fairness. False dichotomy on your part.

Comment

• It says a lot about how incredibly stupid so many Americans are recently, that you'd spit in the face of your closest global ally.
                Who says Lonestar speaks for Americans? Kicking the UK off the table would be dumb. UK needs to be there.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• At least Lonestar is an American unlike certain Canadian carpet baggers.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                    I don't disagree. I'm just amused that so many self-professed Scots, born in Scotland are not getting a vote.
                    The further the Scottish person gets away from Scotland, the more intensely Scottish they become. After all, how can sun and Sangria in Marbella compete with dreich days in Motherwell enlivened only by neeps, tatties, mince and the quaffing of Irn Bru ?
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                    X