Liberal Democrat says Algebra is not necessary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberal Democrat says Algebra is not necessary

A TYPICAL American school day finds some six million high school students and two million college freshmen struggling with algebra. In both high school and college, all too many students are expected to fail. Why do we subject American students to this ordeal? I’ve found myself moving toward the strong view that we shouldn’t.
    This debate matters. Making mathematics mandatory prevents us from discovering and developing young talent. In the interest of maintaining rigor, we’re actually depleting our pool of brainpower. I say this as a writer and social scientist whose work relies heavily on the use of numbers. My aim is not to spare students from a difficult subject, but to call attention to the real problems we are causing by misdirecting precious resources.

Last August, the same author wrote a piece for the LA Times in support of liberal arts, stating:

In our own teaching, we've found that students arrive at college interested in the economy, their society and its culture. They are not incurious, as many academics complain. Nor do we agree with Charles Murray, who argues we are sending too many young people to college. On the contrary, we believe that every undergraduate, even those now basically majoring in beer, would benefit from giving a seminar paper on Jane Austen's "Persuasion."
    Jane Austen trumps algebra?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

What an idiot.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      What an idiot.
      This is the guy:

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What does he say about Algeria though. Does he think it should have a capital like Algebra?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I don't see why, strictly speaking, any subject beyond basic literacy and arithmetic is "necessary" for all students.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

After arithmatic, algebra is the math I use most in real life.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/op...source=message

Last August, the same author wrote a piece for the LA Times in support of liberal arts, stating:

Jane Austen trumps algebra?

Please explain what the ideology and partisan affiliation of this person has to do with his opinions on the merits of Algebra and English literature.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                Please explain what the ideology and partisan affiliation of this person has to do with his opinions on the merits of Algebra and English literature.
                He says idiotic **** and is a liberal Democrat.

Comment

Thank you for failing to answer the question in a meaningful way. Also, good work on revealing the absurdity of thinking college students should read Jane Austen but high school students don't necessarily need Algebra.

Comment

This is the NY Times. Since when do they need to use Algebra? They might actually figure out that they are losing money.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I see no evidence that Hacker is a "Liberal Democrat" as well. I've been searching on Google, and while there are political science articles he's written about inequality and race, in his book "Higher Education" he argues for ending tenure - hardly a liberal Democratic argument.

Where's the beef in the claim?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The issue is not with algebra per se, but the overall difficulty level of high school. What he says is also true of languages - no matter how hard you try, some people just can't spell.

Finishing high school should be an accomplishment, not a given. Redirect those who can't (due to either social or natural sciences) to trades as early as 14-15 yo.
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I'd be wary of deciding a kid's future at 14. This isn't China.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's not really deciding the future IMO - a lot of jobs that require a college degree should not.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

You are so smart, Alby. And you complain to me because you think I'm too partisan??
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X