Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does this happen? Chick-fil-A branded as anti-gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
    And of course the end result would be the same if every business owned by an openly gay person were "coincidentally" blocked by zoning laws.
    Of course... Asher wouldn't be denying that either (ie, pay attention to his argument).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I can't recall ever having a CFA sandwich and thinking it was too dry. The meat has always been juicy.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        Of course... Asher wouldn't be denying that either (ie, pay attention to his argument).
        Oh, I couldn't possibly have been using that as an example of the absurdity of his position, could I?

Comment

So most people are up in arms about CFA's freedom being violated, but they support my having the freedom to marry a man whom I am romantically in love with to be denied.

I guess you guys are not really that big of a fan of freedom, then.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Oh, I couldn't possibly have been using that as an example of the absurdity of his position, could I?
            It's quite clear neither you nor your brother understand my position.

Because apparently I wasn't clear enough - I do not support the mayor's actions.

I'm illustrating the absurdity of the American ideal of freedom. You have lots of contrived examples of arbitrarily limiting freedom and no one bats an eye. I think you, specifically, have argued that you don't support gay marriage but "the people have spoken" (not your words, but your concept).

How can people democratically ban gay marriage but people can't democratically ban Chick-fil-A? Are individual rights really less important than the rights to do business?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Perhaps because one is protected by free speech and the other isn't?

Despite that, it should be mentioned that numerous courts in the US have decided that you can't. Examples include Iowa and Massachusetts.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

How can people democratically ban gay marriage but people can't democratically ban Chick-fil-A?
                exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  His argument doesn't seem to be leading anywhere in particular. Nobody ever said our various social restrictions were "about freedom," except to the extent that churches want the freedom not to recognize gay marriages, etc. The American conception of liberty is extremely individualistic and perfectly consistent (not always good, but consistent) to the extent that it is applied.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

Perhaps because one is protected by free speech and the other isn't?
                    Uh, what?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      His argument doesn't seem to be leading anywhere in particular. Nobody ever said our various social restrictions were "about freedom," except to the extent that churches want the freedom not to recognize gay marriages, etc. The American conception of liberty is extremely individualistic and perfectly consistent (not always good, but consistent) to the extent that it is applied.
                      Giving gay people equal marriage rights will not force churches to marry gay people.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        The American conception of liberty is extremely individualistic and perfectly consistent (not always good, but consistent) to the extent that it is applied.
                        Except for when it's not. If you need examples, you're too far gone to be helped.

His argument doesn't seem to be leading anywhere in particular. Nobody ever said our various social restrictions were "about freedom,"
                        I suppose you didn't read the posts in this thread by Americans bragging about American freedoms (while nasty Europe isn't free, of course)

Comment

His whole argument is about absurdity!!

Your purposely absurd arguments lead to absurdity!
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            Despite that, it should be mentioned that numerous courts in the US have decided that you can't. Examples include Iowa and Massachusetts.
                            Freedom != US Constitution.

Courts decide what is or is not legal within the framework of law. We do not philosophically define freedom by what legislators think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              Because apparently I wasn't clear enough - I do not support the mayor's actions.
                              OK, good. I hadn't read your posts closely enough and did not realize that.

I'm illustrating the absurdity of the American ideal of freedom. You have lots of contrived examples of arbitrarily limiting freedom and no one bats an eye.
                              We enshrine some rights (speech) and leave others subject to balancing tests of various strengths (constructing buildings). This is perfectly reasonable because some rights are genuinely more important than others. Pretending to restrict one right as a way to actually restrict another, more important one is a no-no.

I think you, specifically, have argued that you don't support gay marriage but "the people have spoken" (not your words, but your concept).
                              Uh, no?

How can people democratically ban gay marriage but people can't democratically ban Chick-fil-A? Are individual rights really less important than the rights to do business?
                              1) The distinction is peculiar to the particular legal rights enshrined in our Constitution as inviolate. I don't have any particular objection to enshrining this one, either, but it isn't there right now and so it would be inconsistent with democracy for our judiciary to invent one when our Constitution assigns that power to the electorate via the amendment process.

2) More generally, certain freedoms (speech, assembly, voting) are fundamentally necessary for democracy; marriage isn't one of them. That isn't to say it isn't an important right or that it shouldn't be protected, but restricting it isn't undemocratic, just bad.

edit: just to be clear, democracy and freedom are both valuable but distinct virtues, and they occasionally conflict. In some cases democracy should win, especially when it's clear that in the long run democracy will be consistent with freedom (e.g. gay marriage). In other cases freedom should win (e.g. speech).
                              Last edited by Kuciwalker; July 26, 2012, 12:30.

Comment

Can someone explain to Elok that giving gay people equal marriage rights does not force churches to marry gay couples?

Comment

Working...
                                X