Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does this happen? Chick-fil-A branded as anti-gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    You're simply wrong on the last point, if for no other reason that the definition of bigotry could be manipulated by the powerful.
    Isn't that how America works?

We're all about democratically banning gays from marrying, but to democratically prevent a business from operating within a city? THAT CROSSES THE LINE?

America still confuses me.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      ^^^ Someone who doesn't understand the meaning of the word "freedom" ^^^

By that logic, we should be free to ban synagogues...
      Or gay marriage.

I understand the word freedom, I'm trying to illustrate why you don't.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
        Whatever you do under no circumstance eat a Chik-fil-a chicken wrap. It is ass in a tortilla shell.
        Seriously. Biggest rip off ever. More lettuce in there than are in most salads .

But, their waffle fries are really good.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Waffle fries
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I skip the fries and substitute the yogurt parfait with granola.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

To be more clear, the problem with the word "freedom" is Americans have a very specific meaning of the word which they don't seem to realize.

True freedom is anarchy. Modern societies make compromises all the time - many times they are logically inconsistent.

Freedom means businesses SHOULD be able to discriminate however they want. Never want to hire women, gays, Christians, etc? Freedom means they're free to do that.
              Freedom means cities SHOULD be able to discriminate however they want (provided they're democratically elected). Never want to allow the KKK to set up offices, Chick-fil-A branches, NAMBLA sex parlours -- they should be able to do that, too.

What Americans mean by freedom is Judeo-Christian Freedom socially while economically they are slanted towards business freedom.

In this case, most Americans in this thread side with the freedom for businesses to operate in whatever city they want over the freedom for the people of a city to decide they don't want that business or its influence.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                Back in the seventies it wasn't uncommon to see shops in the UK with signs that read 'No Blacks, No Irish'. Is that really something you would find acceptable in modern America?
                CFA has not violated any employment laws, nor have they refused service to any section of the public. This is a first amendment issue, pure and simple. The "kiss in" is a legitimate response. What Chicago is doing, is not.

Comment

I assume that American cities don't have zoning laws? Businesses should be free to build where they please, amiright?

Comment

There's a difference between zoning laws and saying that PARTICULAR businesses cannot operate where similar businesses can simply because you disagree with their politics.

Asher is incredibly authoritarian. Apparently the government should be allowed to financially ruin anyone a majority of the populous disagrees with, and this is no worse than simply refusing to recognize the legal status of marriage.
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

x-hereti corp'd

Do you mean zoning laws as in "no restaurants in this zone", or you you mean as in "all restaurants except The Hardrock Cafe in this zone"?

Comment

There's a difference between zoning laws and saying that PARTICULAR businesses cannot operate where similar businesses can simply because you disagree with their politics.

Asher is incredibly authoritarian. Apparently the government should be allowed to financially ruin anyone a majority of the populous disagrees with, and this is no worse than simply refusing to recognize the legal status of marriage.
                        A majority of the relevant populace doesn't even agree with him.

Comment

The end result is the same - it's the government legislating where a business can operate.

Excuse me -- when the **** did I ever say I agreed with any of this?

I'm making a mockery of the American ideal of freedom. You guys do not understand freedom. You equate freedom with your own ideals and cannot comprehend others.

This is not the same as supporting what the mayor is doing.

Comment

The American government regularly ****s all over people's freedom, but Americans don't give a **** unless it conflicts with Christian values.

It's absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              The end result is the same - it's the government legislating where a business can operate.
                              And of course the end result would be the same if every business owned by an openly gay person were "coincidentally" blocked by zoning laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                                And of course the end result would be the same if every business owned by an openly gay person were "coincidentally" blocked by zoning laws.
                                Yes, exactly.

FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X