No announcement yet.

Perry Nullifies Obamacare in Texas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't do much about the hair, genes are genes.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Are you immortal? Or have you simply decided that if you get cancer you'll just let it go untreated and die?
      Umm, because I study actuarial tables and know that for a young man my age, coverage is something that costs me more than my net benefit? Especially since I haven't had any health problems in quite some time.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        Umm, because I study actuarial tables and know that for a young man my age, coverage is something that costs me more than my net benefit? Especially since I haven't had any health problems in quite some time.
        The point in insurance is not to receive more than you pay on average. The point in insurance is to avoid risk. You can't say "cancer treatment isn't something I might need in the future".

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post

Where did you read that? HMO Weekly?
          As Asher has already pointed out not only do other first world countries pay up to 1/8th what the US pays but out comes are also better even for the exact same medical conditions.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• The point in insurance is not to receive more than you pay on average.
            Actually, that's the entire point of insurance.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              As Asher has already pointed out not only do other first world countries pay up to 1/8th what the US pays but out comes are also better even for the exact same medical conditions.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...healthcare.cnn
              I think preventative medicine is why the outcomes are better. Things are caught earlier, and people live healthier lives due to interaction with family doctors.

Every Canadian has free and unlimited access to a family doctor/GP, and most use that. If you think you've got some kind of sickness that may or may not be innocuous, you can still get it checked out without paying out of pocket. The result is people get diagnosed with things faster and are treated faster, which is more economical AND more effective.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  Every Canadian has free and unlimited access to a family doctor/GP...

In theory.

Walk-in clinics are the reality for many.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Either way, it's free, no?

Only time I had trouble getting a family doctor was living in evil, evil, third-world Toronto.

Comment

• Sure it's free but a walk in and a family doc are two different things. You don't go to a walk-in for preventative care. You go there when you are already sick.

There are doctor shortages in many, many, cities.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        Sure it's free but a walk in and a family doc are two different things. You don't go to a walk-in for preventative care. You go there when you are already sick.
                        But people are still far more likely to go to such a clinic before things get too dire, even if it's something innocuous.

Things are different if you need to pay to see a doctor. You only go if you know it's very serious, which in many cases mean it's too late or much more expensive.

There are several practices which opened up near my (new) neighbourhood which have signs proudly proclaiming they welcome new patients.

Comment

• Absolutely. Walk-ins are better than nothing and problems will still get caught earlier.

My MD (family doc) availability has varied over the years and as I move about. Some cities I've lived in had lists of docs taking patients, others have had none.

Comment

Uhh then insurance companies wouldn't be profitable. They have to pay out less, on average, than they receive in order to make money.

Comment

• Every Canadian has free and unlimited access to a family doctor/GP, and most use that. If you think you've got some kind of sickness that may or may not be innocuous, you can still get it checked out without paying out of pocket. The result is people get diagnosed with things faster and are treated faster, which is more economical AND more effective.
                              Bull****. There are MSP costs, and a **** ton of access issues. Most GPs are overworked and few take on new clients.

Comment

• Uhh then insurance companies wouldn't be profitable. They have to pay out less, on average, than they receive in order to make money.
                                Which is why I take the time to read actuarial tables and you do not.

Comment

Working...
                                X