Chickenpox Lollipops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
    I don't find it any more offensive than that there are laws of physics behind humanity's achievements. Even if you are allowing for free will, in either case it's obvious that there are a great many things outside our control which impact the possibility and result of any action.
    It's completely different. One is humans working within the set laws of the universe and the other is some supernatural deity doing all the cool stuff through his human tools. I'm with Mike, thats just insulting.

Comment

• I think it is insulting when people don't recognize God.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• The good part is of course that it doesn't matter in the slightest whether either of us are offended by other peoples views.

Comment

• No, they both are cases where forces outside our control are dictating much (or all if you don't believe in free will) of what happens. In either case, we're just puny insignificant specks which play a part in a script not of our making.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
            The good part is of course that it doesn't matter in the slightest whether either of us are offended by other peoples views.
            Well, it matters if it means that we start treating others worse or have hubris or something else like that.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
              No, they both are cases where forces outside our control are dictating much (or all if you don't believe in free will) of what happens. In either case, we're just puny insignificant specks which play a part in a script not of our making.
              No they really aren't. One is conscious interference, the other is just playing within the sandbox you were born into.

Comment

The good part is of course that it doesn't matter in the slightest whether either of us are offended by other peoples views.

I'm offended by people taking offence to other peoples' inoffensive views.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                  Well, it matters if it means that we start treating others worse or have hubris or something else like that.

JM
                  I'd say it only matters if people are attempting to oppress your legal/human rights because of your beliefs. I really don't care if someone wants to believe that Gandalf is a real life wizard, and if I want to call that idea ridiculous then that is my right to do so. I wouldn't (to them anyway) because I don't like pointless rudeness, but there is no 'right' to not being offended.

Comment

• Is it ok to say they should all be given all the chickenpox lollipops they want? Natural selection and all that.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'd say it only matters if people are attempting to oppress your legal/human rights because of your beliefs. I really don't care if someone wants to believe that Gandalf is a real life wizard, and if I want to call that idea ridiculous then that is my right to do so. I wouldn't (to them anyway) because I don't like pointless rudeness, but there is no 'right' to not being offended.
                      I didn't say I was offended.

I said that it was insulting (to God).

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Don't you find that offensive? Good man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          I didn't say I was offended.

I said that it was insulting (to God).

JM
                          Maybe God needs to man up?
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• I think Aeson is saying there was the Big Bang and then everything happened according to the laws of physics so what should man be proud of. (I don't think we need to complicate matters by talking about free will anymore although there are other problems with materialism)
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

No they really aren't. One is conscious interference, the other is just playing within the sandbox you were born into.
                              They are indistinguishable in effect. Whether one is conscious or not is irrelevant.

In both cases we are simply following laws we didn't set, and being influenced by things completely outside our control.

Comment

• You wont do very well interfering with the laws of nature.
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X