Chickenpox Lollipops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    So believe in randomness when there is no evidence and there are simpler explainations?
    No offense, but a godess is actually a complication - not a simpler explanation Besides that, randomness is actually a simple an understadable explanation.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Actually, if it wasn't for randomness, it would really suck to be poor. If only god was to tell who might get rich (probably even without lifting a finger) it could create a lot of hate - if it's by chance, everyone has a lot and if personal effort can be a plus, i even helps society.

As proved here, randomness by nature is way better than godly randomness
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• I wasn't talking about God. Randomness and the existance of God aren't incompatable. I was simply talking about determinism (not the belief that humans can predict anything, but the absence of truly random events).
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
          Actually, if it wasn't for randomness, it would really suck to be poor. If only god was to tell who might get rich (probably even without lifting a finger) it could create a lot of hate - if it's by chance, everyone has a lot and if personal effort can be a plus, i even helps society.

As proved here, randomness by nature is way better than godly randomness
          No, none of this is relevant. People aren't poor because of randomness. They are poor because of determining factors.

Comment

• But that's your real problem - you can't have randomness if god can intervene when he wants. The randomness is controlled as long as it does what god wants but is corrected if it deivates.

Sorry food alarm calls
            Last edited by BlackCat; November 19, 2011, 23:34.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Um ... no.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                But that's your real problem - you can't have randomness if god can intervene when he wants. The randomness is controlled as long as it does what god wants but is corrected if it deivates.
                I don't see why you can't. God doesn't directly intervene all the time - in fact most (vast majority?) of the time he indirectly intervenes. He does it through people, but they have to listen to Him.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• As soon as you have a god who either intervenes or has a plan or plays any part in humanities goings on, then free will becauses nonsensical.

Comment

• Do children have free will?

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Of course they do. We deliberately curb their freedom of choice however because we don't judge them able to clearly choose their own paths and consider the repurcussions of their decisions. Are you saying that humanity under god is in the same position?

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                        As soon as you have a god who either intervenes or has a plan or plays any part in humanities goings on, then free will becauses nonsensical.
                        Indeed. "I'm going to let you do what ever you want but then I will torture the **** out of you when ever you don't do what I want."
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                          As soon as you have a god who either intervenes or has a plan or plays any part in humanities goings on, then free will becauses nonsensical.
                          When you believe in the supernarural making sense doesn't carry the meaning. But if you don't believe in supernatural then free will doesn't make sense. Then all your actions are predetermined because free will doesn't fit sensically into your belief system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                            Indeed. "I'm going to let you do what ever you want but then I will torture the **** out of you when ever you don't do what I want."
                            You believe in disciplining children? Why would God discipline his children?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              When you believe in the supernarural making sense doesn't carry the meaning. But if you don't believe in supernatural then free will doesn't make sense. Then all your actions are predetermined because free will doesn't fit sensically into your belief system.
                              I literally have no idea what you mean. Not believing in the supernatural means that free will is all there is.

Comment

• Like I told Molly, I believe he's trying to imply that, if you don't believe in God, you must necessarily be a strict materialist determinist, or whatever you call people who think choice is an after-the-fact label for our meat machines reacting in a theoretically predictable manner.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X