British Polytubby needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
    Fun fact: University disagrees that this is not history. Not to speak of countless historians, all which is more qualified to say than you.
    You obviously misunderstand what I said. Please give me an example of where a historian or university has said something that disagrees with my statement and I will clear up the confusion.

By reading your post, I am not instantly a historian, even though it was written in the past. Else everyone is a historian. It becomes a valueless comment.

As I say, I agree with your point. Someone can be a historian who is studying newspapers from the last year. I am saying there is more to it than JUST doing something like that. Purpose of doing it being another deciding factor.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Ben, I think people are only interested in your graduation, not matriculation. This indicates that you actually got a degree
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I think that guy was making fun of you for misspelling "matriculation" as you left out the i in your previous post. Typo, I'm sure, but still, the fact that you didn't catch it speaks volumes. And then you said "invocation," which only made things worse.

Invocation
        — n
        1. the act of invoking or calling upon some agent for assistance
        2. a prayer asking God for help, forgiveness, etc, esp as part of a religious service
        3. an appeal for inspiration and guidance from a Muse or deity at the beginning of a poem
        4. a. the act of summoning a spirit or demon from another world by ritual incantation or magic
        b. the incantation used in this act

Hence the other guy making the comment about chanting.

And yes, PH is quite right, you're probably thinking of "graduation," or in the case of my university, "convocation."

I hope this helped, and if you're a historian worth your salt, you'll never use a random website as a source again. I swear to god, that's only something a university frosh would do.

Anyways, don't want to get into your silly argument over what history is, but as far as I'm concerned the only history worth paying any attention to is pre-1527, but that's just me.

Comment

Who's hiding behind this troll?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Ben, I think people are only interested in your graduation, not matriculation. This indicates that you actually got a degree
            It depends on what you mean by the word as well. I did matriculate in 2006, depending if you mean where I started or where I finished. I was looking for the Latin word (and yes, it's invocation, in - vocation is one of the meanings of the word, although not it's more common use. Convocation is used more, but that's got a different meaning, "to bring together", rather then to "bring forth". My latin is not great.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I am not a troll. I am a woman. But then again, I wouldn't expect you to know how to recognize one of us.

Also, I didn't make the argument that you'd used the word matriculation wrong, though that doesn't change the fact that you did. The very thin excuse of trying to use your admittedly poor Latin, instead of a word anyone in the modern world would recognize as relating to being granted a degree by an accredited university is just lame. I'm sorry.

Comment

As I say, I agree with your point. Someone can be a historian who is studying newspapers from the last year. I am saying there is more to it than JUST doing something like that. Purpose of doing it being another deciding factor.
                Well, it depends on where you class demographics. I did have several classes, one devoted to the Population Bomb and to discussion of it thereof, and trends in the changes of the population over time. And it was classified as a history course.

Ask me to my face and I think it's one of the satellites of history, like Economics, Literature, Geography, Philosophy and Statistics. Something that helps immensely to your overall understanding of history but isn't integral to the discipline in and of itself. I think every historian should have at least one demographics class, because it really changes how you perceive the decisions made by people as a group and how it changes the overall tide.

One can explain Justinian's failure to put the old empire back together to his personal failings, over expenditure, or simply to the plague effectively curtaling further expansion.

Comment

I am not a troll. I am a woman. But then again, I wouldn't expect you to know how to recognize one of us.
                  Everyone's a woman on the internet. Troll.

Now do you have something to contribute or do you wish to continue with the chorus of criticism?

What do we have here a Prot or a prophet of Paracelsus?

Comment

I went to the BL for you, and this is the thanks I get? Wow, I think I'd like another tenner donated to charity. I'm assuming you're a homophobe based on what my boyfriend asked you to donate, but this time maybe you'd like to donate to a charity for battered women.

Comment

I went to the BL for you, and this is the thanks I get?
                      Then my apologies. Why didn't you say you were Dauphin's gf in the first place. I did thank you in my letter to Dauphin. I do appreciate your assistance, and your help has been worthwhile. I don't know however, if he passed on what I wrote to you.

Wow, I think I'd like another tenner donated to charity. I'm assuming you're a homophobe based on what my boyfriend asked you to donate, but this time maybe you'd like to donate to a charity for battered women.
                      Ok, so you sign on here, challenge my credentials personally, don't tell me who you are, attack my project, and you expect a red carpet rolled out for you? I'm sorry. I get lots of trolls on here. All you had to say was that you were Dauphin's gf, which I have no idea of knowing.

If you want to call me a misogynist, you might want to actually base that on facts not heresay.

Anyways, one thing I did write to Dauphin, is that I'd like yours and his permission to include the both of you in my acknowledgements. Did he mention that to you at all? I still do, as I feel I would like to show my appreciation publicly for what you and he have done to help me.

Comment

*cough* hearsay *cough*

I'm sorry you don't understand my humour

Comment

Hey you try switching between French, Latin, English, and German and keeping your spelling consistant. Bah.

So 1527? Are you a classicist or a medievalist?

Comment

I would respond to your PM in kind, but I don't have enough posts, so:
                            That's alright, I'm only teasing. If you want to put in your acknowledgments that you had help from a stranger in London, that's fine, but I'd rather it just be something about the willingness of academics to help others in their research.

And having been writing my thesis and doing extensive research in Italian and French, and even a little German (which I don't read at all), I'm still able to spell. But my mother always told me that correcting others was an unattractive trait, so I'll try not to do it again.

I'm an art historian, with a focus on late medieval and renaissance italian art.

Pop quiz: what is special about 1527 that it becomes my cut off? (and know that if you use google or wikipedia to guess, you fail as a person, not to mention historian)
                            Last edited by venart; August 28, 2011, 17:45.

Comment

Can I call you Dauphine?

I would respond to your PM in kind, but I don't have enough posts
                              How rude. Fix that Zoe.

If you want to put in your acknowledgments that you had help from a stranger in London, that's fine, but I'd rather it just be something about the willingness of academics to help others in their research.
                              Well, I haven't had much outside help yet. If you want to decline the honour as 'part of doing your job', fine, but I see it as something that I *should* acknowledge. Also, 'stranger in London', makes it sound, uh, weird.

And having been writing my thesis and doing extensive research in Italian and French, and even a little German (which I don't read at all), I'm still able to spell. But my mother always told me that correcting others was an unattractive trait, so I'll try not to do it again.
                              Oh neat, art historian. What's your opinion on Bernini?

I'm actually a Victorian historian of all things. History of the Empire, sun never sets, everything from Tennyson to Kipling. But, I find myself doing many different things.

Comment

Hi venart.

According to your first post here, you are quite right - it was a joke about a misspelling, but then it got quite funny with the invocation thing. Saying being bad at latin didn't exactly help.

PS Watch out for BK changing goalposts - he has a habit of doing such
                                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X