Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
    BTW I've been scouring Breivik's manifesto for references to religion:

His philosemitism appears to be secular. Also speaking against the Christian fundie hypotesis is that he appears to be pro-homosexual or at least normally (Scandinavian norm) tolerant of them. Also several sources say that a lots of the stuff there was plagiarised from Ted Kaczynski aka the Unabomber. I haven't had time to compare so I'm reserving judgement on that.
    The only people interested in this kind of writing are other sickos or those who's unfortunate job it is to study these kinds of people. So no surprise that you and Ben are the ones mining this for insight.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
      This is idiotic. Nothing ever happens somewhere until it does. Other police forces have learned from the mistakes at VT and Columbine, and have active shooter doctrines to prevent this type of tragedy from reaching this scale.
      Yeah, and they have of course measured in the effects of a 500 kg bomb in the center of the capital.

I'll bet that there are several of those units that now are busy reconsidering their plans.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
        The only people interested in this kind of writing are other sickos or those who's unfortunate job it is to study these kinds of people. So no surprise that you and Ben are the ones mining this for insight.
        Cool story bro. Anyway how dare I bring facts into Christian bashing!
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

QFT. Who gives a **** why this nut killed people?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• CNBC reporting that cops arrived 90 minutes after shooting began.

Police arrived at an island massacre about an hour and a half after a gunman first opened fire, slowed because they didn't have quick access to a helicopter and then couldn't find a boat to make their way to the scene just several hundred meters offshore.

A SWAT team was dispatched to the island more than 50 minutes after people vacationing at a campground said they heard shooting across the lake, according to Police Chief Sveinung Sponheim. The drive to the lake took about 20 minutes, and once there, the team took another 20 minutes to find a boat.

Footage filmed from a helicopter that showed the gunman firing into the water added to the impression that police were slow to the scene. They chose to drive, Sponheim said, because their helicopter wasn't on standby.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

People who are liable to be slandered by any association with him. Surely they have good motive to try and defend themselves from such accusations and insinuations?
              Last edited by Heraclitus; July 24, 2011, 19:25.
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Because some people are giddy at the chance to lay the blame for this tragedy at the feet of Christianity.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I include moby et al in my condemnation for the search for meaning in his actions.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Generally speaking it was safe to say he was a nut who wrecked great damage and effort spent understanding him or speculating about his motive is wasted and giving him undue attention. However showing why say something like the "triggered by fundamentalist Christianity" hypothesis is unlikely not that hard and dosen't require much effort.

Comment

My sentiments exactly when Ben said he was going to make it a project to read it and kept posting a running commentary of it. Like, what the **** why?
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                        People who are liable to be slandered by any association with him. Surely they have good motive to try and defend themselves from such accusations and insinuations?
                        What kind of idiot would think the actions of one Christian is representative of all Christians? Other than idiots like Ben who judge all muslims for what al qaeda does.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                          Because some people are giddy at the chance to lay the blame for this tragedy at the feet of Christianity.
                          Only to the people who already jumped the gun to lay blame for this tragedy at the feet of Islam.

I really hope it demonstrates to many anti-Islamic people that the problem isn't with the religions themselves, but extremists. There are demonstrably extremists on both sides. The problem is people living in North America are constantly being lectured about the dangers of Islam by many (not all, or even most) Christians. If anything, this is an opportunity for people to understand the problem is extremism, not a particular faith.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• My point was he most likley wasn't a Christian fundie.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                              What kind of idiot would think the actions of one Christian is representative of all Christians? Other than idiots like Ben who judge all muslims for what al qaeda does.
                              Oh please, like this isn't going to be used for political purposes? If he was a fundie then bad for Christians, but they shouldn't be associate with him if he didn't see his motivation as religious. Most Europeans are nominally Christian, it is more likley than not that this will be true of any crazies that decide to shoot a bunch of people as well.
                              Last edited by Heraclitus; July 24, 2011, 20:26.

Comment

• Probably true- he's more likely the result of norwegian denialsim.
                                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X