No announcement yet.

Oslo bombed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You ****ing ******* go to this site and listen to how the name is ****ing pronounced:

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I have a ****ing half-brother named Ahmed. My mother's ex-husband was named Ahmed. How the **** do you think I don't know how to pronounce the name in Arabic?
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        I have a ****ing half-brother named Ahmed. My mother's ex-husband was named Ahmed. How the **** do you think I don't know how to pronounce the name in Arabic?
        Nobody said you didn't know how to pronounce it in Arabic, you piece of philly trash; I simply don't think you know how to pronounce things in English.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I also am not sure you're aware that there are phonemes in other languages which literally have no exact duplicate in English. For instance, the first syllable in "achmed"...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            Nobody said you didn't know how to pronounce it in Arabic, you piece of philly trash; I simply don't think you know how to pronounce things in English.
            You ****ing pompous ass, the pronunciation inferred from Docfeelgood's erroneous spelling is wholly incorrect. Watch the Jeff Dunham sketches and you will hear the incorrect pronunciation Docfeelgood's spelling emulates. It is incorrect.

Comment

• Sheesh. We need somebody with a real Phd in comparative languages or some such.

KH. Do you work at being a dickwad or does it come naturally?

Comment

• I can't wait for albie to explain to us how to properly represent Khoisan clicks in the Roman alphabet...
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You ****ing pompous ass, the pronunciation inferred from Docfeelgood's erroneous spelling is wholly incorrect. Watch the Jeff Dunham sketches and you will hear the incorrect pronunciation Docfeelgood's spelling emulates. It is incorrect.
                  So is "ahmed" by that standard (it completely lacks any of the guttural qualities of the original). Germanic influences on English have provided us with a poor approximation (as I mentioned, "ach" or "auch").
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• And while Ahmed may not be a perfect transliteration since it will, if spoken as the English language would expect, likely result in the lack of that gutteral sound in the actual name, it is the globally accepted spelling of the name.

Ackmed is not. Not only is it phonetically wrong, it is not used by anyone with the name.

Therefore, barring a letter combination to perfectly emulate that sound in Arabic, we revert to the established spelling which is AHMED.

Ackmed is not a name. Ahmed is the name.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      I can't wait for albie to explain to us how to properly represent Khoisan clicks in the Roman alphabet...
                      And I can't wait for KH to then tell Albie how they really should be represented.

Comment

• Ahmad and (for Turks) Ahmet are also acceptable. Note that the divergences are in the second syllable. The spelling of the first in English is well-agreed.

Comment

And while Ahmed may not be a perfect transliteration since it will, if spoken as the English language would expect, likely result in the lack of that gutteral sound in the actual name, it is the globally accepted spelling of the name.

Ackmed is not. Not only is it phonetically wrong, it is not used by anyone with the name.

Therefore, barring a letter combination to perfectly emulate that sound in Arabic, we revert to the established spelling which is AHMED.

Ackmed is not a name. Ahmed is the name.

Repeating yourself over and over again doesn't make you any more correct. "Ahmed" is no closer to the original pronunciation that "Ackmed" is. DFG's choice of transliteration is perfectly reasonable, and you berating him for that choice is idiotic.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Even when you go on wikipedia, there is no Ackmed variant listed.

Comment

• Ahmad and Ahmed
                              Pronunciation Arabic: [ˈæːħmæd], or
                              [ˈæːħmed].
                              English: /ˈɑːmæd/, or
                              /ˈɑːmɛd/.
                              Gender Male
                              Language(s) Arabic
                              Origin
                              Meaning Highly praised
                              Other names
                              Variant(s) Achmad, Achmat, Achmed, Achmet, Ahmat, Ahmet
                              Do you see Ackmed anywhere?

Find me one person with the name who uses the Ackmed spelling.

Comment

• I don't particularly care if it's on your silly list or not. The relevant phoneme is as closely related to "ack" (depending on the dialect of English being spoken) as "ah" is...
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X