No announcement yet.

A Song Of Ice And Fire: book discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started reading them when they came out, and have read the first two books many times... so I know.

Although I didn't really think the 4th book was lower in quality like people have claimed. I should reread it directly after the first 3 next month and then I will have a better feel (only read it once...).

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• George R.R. Martin is a master of surprise!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Yesterday they a new trailer for the Game of Thrones season 2 show on HBO.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
          I started reading them when they came out, and have read the first two books many times... so I know.

Although I didn't really think the 4th book was lower in quality like people have claimed. I should reread it directly after the first 3 next month and then I will have a better feel (only read it once...).

JM
          I think the 4th book was more missing some of most readers favourite characters rather than lower in quality.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

• agreed.

I can see why some people didn't like 4 & 5, but I happened to pick up the series just at the right time to read them straight through, just as 5 was released, and I thought they were all terrific. 3 is clearly the high point, but there isn't that much of a drop off.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Hi,

I just started the Books, so can someone explain why he made Dani so young? I really dont want to read Sexscenes with a 14 year old :/
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

• Because that's how old girls were when they got married back in the day. If that bugs you, you should probably stop before all the mass rapes and whatnot kick in.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Yeah, you really shouldn't read these books if you're made uncomfortable by... uh... anything.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• For example, I'm a third of the way through book 3 right now. Just recently there was a scene in which a character declined to go to a show in which the main attraction would be a bear and three children - one covered in honey, one in blood, and one in rotting fish - and spectators were encouraged to bet on which child the bear would eat first! Yay!
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Just got done reading the series. I usually don't like fantasy, but I enjoyed the books.

If I had to rank them it would ble:

1. A storm of swords
                      2. A game of thrones
                      3. A feast for crows (don't understand the hate this one gets)
                      4. A clash of kings
                      5. A dance with dragons (this one totally deserves the hate it gets, hope the next one is better).
                      Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        *sigh* I need commentary!
                        Have you seen the forums at Westeros?
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                          For example, I'm a third of the way through book 3 right now. Just recently there was a scene in which a character declined to go to a show in which the main attraction would be a bear and three children - one covered in honey, one in blood, and one in rotting fish - and spectators were encouraged to bet on which child the bear would eat first! Yay!
                          I... don't remember this. At all.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Spoiler:
                            Happened when Dany was at Astapor, if iirc.
                            Last edited by flash9286; December 5, 2011, 15:23.
                            Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                              I... don't remember this. At all.
                              Spoiler:
                              It's when Dany goes to Astapor to pick up the Unsullied.

Comment

• Oh, we're not spoiler tagging things? Bah!

Comment

Working...
                                X