No announcement yet.

A Song Of Ice And Fire: book discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin has put up a sample chapter of "Winds of Winter" (spoiler alert, obviously):

So, we're on track for 2020, right?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Yeah, in the brief monthish or so between the time I finished #4 and #5 was released, I was delighted to find the book five sample chapters linked on towerofthehand.com. IIRC, they were released in 2008 or so.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Just started reading it:

Minor spoiler in that a couple characters who appeared to be in mortal danger are (relatively, especially in one case) better off, but what excites me most so far: the Action/Adventurer Banker of Braavos returns!

Comment

• Well, that chapter pretty much answers the cliff hanger at the end of the last book.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• That chapter is from before the end of aDwD, chronologically speaking.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• How can you tell? That's definitely after we left those characters, and it is certainly possible that the news from the Wall has yet to reach Stannis & Co.

It could be co-temperous, or even completely chronological-but-sooner-than-a-raven-can-fly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                Well, that chapter pretty much answers the cliff hanger at the end of the last book.
                Not following you here.

Comment

• Winds of Winter is the not yet released next book in the series; the cliff hanger at the end of the last book was Jon Snow got stabbed and we didn't know if he was dying or not. Jon Snow was mentioned in the new chapter ergo he must have survived unless Krill is right and the chapter pre-dates Jon Snow being wounded/killed. Martin does like to do funny things with the time line so who knows where this chapter falls chronologically?

Comment

• As I said, this may have happened before word of the coup at the Wall has reached Stannis, but still after the actual event.

Comment

• Yeah, according to GRRM that chapter happens before the end of Dance.
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• I think he mentions it in his blog, not entirely certain, but it is there.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
                          Yeah, according to GRRM that chapter happens before the end of Dance.
                          Which, I guess, still leaves the distant possibility that Stannis, Theon, and co have been wiped out.

Of course we all assume that Mellisandre is going to resurrect Jon Snow a la Beric Dondarion, right?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I thought it would have something to do with Ghost, actually, given the warg prologue chapter.

Comment

• Wait, I think I see what I'm confused about... I forgot that Ramsey sent that crazy, taunting letter to Jon, just before that Julius Caesar scene.

Frankly, I never believed a word of it to begin with, so I still think my take could be accurate.

EDIT: As an example of similar games played in previous books, think of when Lord Too-Fat-To-Sit-A-Horse "executed" Davos.
                              Last edited by Guynemer; December 31, 2011, 02:28.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                                As I said, this may have happened before word of the coup at the Wall has reached Stannis, but still after the actual event.
                                Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
                                Yeah, according to GRRM that chapter happens before the end of Dance.
                                Yeah, that seems to be the way of it and I should have known better then to think GRRM would give away his great cliff hanger so soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X