Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christianity ruins families.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    For you to claim that you can determine your own means of serving God... is that humility?
    Everyone has their own callings, that's a reference to Ephesians 4:16. Christ is the head, and we are the Body of Christ. As the body has many different functions so does the body of Christ. Think of it like cells in the body.

    Note the sequence of events... the golden calf was built and worshiped while Moses was receiving the Commandments. The people of Israeli had not yet received the prohibition against idolatry yet they were punished for a crime they did not yet know was a crime!
    Wrong. They were told in the time of Abraham, "you will be my people, and I will be your God".

    As for deuteronomy,

    But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
    Romans 12:19-21

    Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head
    As for Aquinas, he was wrong that heretics, those who have turned against God should be killed. Excommunication, expulsion from the body of Christ is both necessary for manifest unrepetent sinners, and sufficient.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jon Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    No. You are only called to serve God's will and worship him:

    Matthew 28:18-20
    And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

    Mark 16:15-16
    And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

    Mark 6:11
    And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment, than for that city.


    For you to claim that you can determine your own means of serving God... is that humility?
    You are doing the wrong of the fundamentalist. Quoting verses, and not understanding the narrative.

    Jeremiah 10:23
    O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself, it is not in man who walks to direct his own steps.




    Note the sequence of events... the golden calf was built and worshiped while Moses was receiving the Commandments. The people of Israeli had not yet received the prohibition against idolatry yet they were punished for a crime they did not yet know was a crime!
    They still had instructions from Moses (and before...) which they were not obeying. The 10 commandments was a particular list of instructions "This is what is important for you". Not some crazy, never before told to them, new statements.


    yes.

    Deuteronomy 13:6-10
    If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
    Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;
    Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
    But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
    And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

    Or take Aquinas in Summa Theologica:
    I answer that, With regard to heretics two points must be observed: one, on their own side; the other, on the side of the Church. On their own side there is the sin, whereby they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death. For it is a much graver matter to corrupt the faith which quickens the soul, than to forge money, which supports temporal life. Wherefore if forgers of money and other evil-doers are forthwith condemned to death by the secular authority, much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death.
    Why don't you understand the narrative in the Bible, instead of just quoting versus you don't understand?

    And yes, there are lots of different views by theologians. That is because religion is complicated and difficult to understand like science/joyce/faulkner/etc, not simple like Dick and Jane/etc.

    JM

    Leave a comment:


  • MrFun
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
    Sounds *exactly* like every single atheist I've ever known. Out of all the people I've ever met (Jews, Muslims, Christians, liberals, conservatives, etc) atheists are hands down the most hateful of the bunch. So, by your logic atheism = hatred & intolerance.

    I could also, but your same logic, conclude that if I ever met an atheist who *wasn't* full of hate that he must not *really* be an atheist.

    But of course I'm not an idiot, so I don't jump to such short-sighted conclusions.
    QFT

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Really. You should try asking around wherever you work Albert. You'd be surprised. Each of us have missions of own own. Some are called to be missionaries, but most of us have other callings.
    No. You are only called to serve God's will and worship him:

    Matthew 28:18-20
    And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

    Mark 16:15-16
    And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

    Mark 6:11
    And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment, than for that city.


    For you to claim that you can determine your own means of serving God... is that humility?

    Jeremiah 10:23
    O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself, it is not in man who walks to direct his own steps.


    That's what idolatry is. Did you read that entire passage of the golden Calf? God was giving the laws to Moses on Sinai, and in the time it took for him to climb up and down, they had started an idol of a calf and worshipping it. They they proceeded to have an orgy. Moses comes down with the tablets of the Law of God, and sees his people, Israel, set aside by God and rescued from Egypt, defiling themselves through calf worship.
    Note the sequence of events... the golden calf was built and worshiped while Moses was receiving the Commandments. The people of Israeli had not yet received the prohibition against idolatry yet they were punished for a crime they did not yet know was a crime!


    Do we kill other people who fall away from the faith. Do we force people to worship God as we do?
    yes.

    Deuteronomy 13:6-10
    If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
    Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;
    Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
    But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
    And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

    Or take Aquinas in Summa Theologica:
    I answer that, With regard to heretics two points must be observed: one, on their own side; the other, on the side of the Church. On their own side there is the sin, whereby they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death. For it is a much graver matter to corrupt the faith which quickens the soul, than to forge money, which supports temporal life. Wherefore if forgers of money and other evil-doers are forthwith condemned to death by the secular authority, much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death.

    Leave a comment:


  • OzzyKP
    replied
    Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    And I do not believe a tolerant or reasonable or good or anything completely positive Christian truly exists for a couple of reasons.

    I have rarely observed such people. Religious people are typically very judgmental but also sin considerably. They are extreme in their proselytizing and refuse to even associate with people of other faiths or atheists except to try to convert them or convince them that they are going to hell. They have very little understanding of the religion or the Bible
    Sounds *exactly* like every single atheist I've ever known. Out of all the people I've ever met (Jews, Muslims, Christians, liberals, conservatives, etc) atheists are hands down the most hateful of the bunch. So, by your logic atheism = hatred & intolerance.

    I could also, but your same logic, conclude that if I ever met an atheist who *wasn't* full of hate that he must not *really* be an atheist.

    But of course I'm not an idiot, so I don't jump to such short-sighted conclusions.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    Oops!
    Just remember, pneumos is spirit and mnemos is mind.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    I have rarely observed such people. Religious people are typically very judgmental but also sin considerably.
    How do you know what sin is?

    They are extreme in their proselytizing and refuse to even associate with people of other faiths or atheists except to try to convert them or convince them that they are going to hell.
    Really. You should try asking around wherever you work Albert. You'd be surprised. Each of us have missions of own own. Some are called to be missionaries, but most of us have other callings.

    They have very little understanding of the religion or the Bible
    How so?

    (honestly, can anyone REALLY read the Old Testament... I mean really read it and come out of it not thinking that God is a huge douche? His response to such things as the golden calf [ordering the slaughter of thousands at the hands of one of the tribes of Israel and then punishing everyone with 40 years of wandering in the Sinai] is bizarre for a supposedly merciful God but is standard operating procedure for the OT God).
    That's what idolatry is. Did you read that entire passage of the golden Calf? God was giving the laws to Moses on Sinai, and in the time it took for him to climb up and down, they had started an idol of a calf and worshipping it. They they proceeded to have an orgy. Moses comes down with the tablets of the Law of God, and sees his people, Israel, set aside by God and rescued from Egypt, defiling themselves through calf worship.

    This is why he made them wander through the desert until the generation that had defiled themselves had died away. All except Caleb who had told the truth in Israel.

    The problem with Christianity is that it has two opposing beliefs... peace and love for your brother man and intolerant conversion or else crap.
    Conversion or else, what? Eternal damnation in hell? Do we kill other people who fall away from the faith. Do we force people to worship God as we do? No. Conversion is an act of the will. It must be freely chosen. Peace and love of our fellow man is not optional.

    Leave a comment:


  • OzzyKP
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Did you go to trade school, Ozzy?


    Oops!

    Leave a comment:


  • SlowwHand
    replied
    Most Christians would admit they're not perfect. If they don't, they're not really Christian.

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    And I do not believe a tolerant or reasonable or good or anything completely positive Christian truly exists for a couple of reasons.

    I have rarely observed such people. Religious people are typically very judgmental but also sin considerably. They are extreme in their proselytizing and refuse to even associate with people of other faiths or atheists except to try to convert them or convince them that they are going to hell. They have very little understanding of the religion or the Bible (honestly, can anyone REALLY read the Old Testament... I mean really read it and come out of it not thinking that God is a huge douche? His response to such things as the golden calf [ordering the slaughter of thousands at the hands of one of the tribes of Israel and then punishing everyone with 40 years of wandering in the Sinai] is bizarre for a supposedly merciful God but is standard operating procedure for the OT God).

    The problem with Christianity is that it has two opposing beliefs... peace and love for your brother man and intolerant conversion or else crap.

    The problem is that, in my view, the dumb prejudiced Christians are actually getting half of the message of the faith completely right. The 'liberal' Christians, meanwhile, who are so tolerant and deemed as good by some of you posters, have actually bastardized the faith because they are not spreading God's Word and the fact that salvation can only be had through acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. They are COMPELLED by God to spread the faith, yet they do such things as say there are many ways to God, etc. NO! There is only Jesus Christ!

    I'm sorry but those Christians are NOT Christians.

    Leave a comment:


  • giblets
    replied
    Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    I think Imran more felt love for the chick and less Agape.

    I hate to sound like that but I don't buy an atheist who already rejected what I frankly find to be a more reasonable religion (Islam), would go all Pentecostal Christian (I am aware he is non-denominational but he seemed to indicate the experience happened around Pentecostals. I apologize if I mis-interpreted).

    Again, I hate to sound like that because Imran clearly believes in his heart but it just doesn't sound right to me.
    What do you find more reasonable about it, besides the believers being less likely to think nonbelievers are going to hell?

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    I hate to sound like that but I don't buy an atheist who already rejected what I frankly find to be a more reasonable religion (Islam), would go all Pentecostal Christian
    Why on earth would a muslim appeal to agape? It's a greek concept.

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
    It just depends on how it is done. You certainly wouldn't want to harass someone who firmly isn't interested. But a lot of it is just exposing people to new information or experiences they haven't had before. No pressure or anything. Like Imran's experience. That's the real way to do it. Be a pure example of living your faith and share your life and your experiences with others.
    I think Imran more felt love for the chick and less Agape.

    I hate to sound like that but I don't buy an atheist who already rejected what I frankly find to be a more reasonable religion (Islam), would go all Pentecostal Christian (I am aware he is non-denominational but he seemed to indicate the experience happened around Pentecostals. I apologize if I mis-interpreted).

    Again, I hate to sound like that because Imran clearly believes in his heart but it just doesn't sound right to me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    pneumatic devices
    Did you go to trade school, Ozzy?

    Leave a comment:


  • OzzyKP
    replied
    It just depends on how it is done. You certainly wouldn't want to harass someone who firmly isn't interested. But a lot of it is just exposing people to new information or experiences they haven't had before. No pressure or anything. Like Imran's experience. That's the real way to do it. Be a pure example of living your faith and share your life and your experiences with others.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X