No announcement yet.

Philly says Boy Scouts have to accept gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the building isn't theirs, the land isn't theirs, and the agreement they had was nullified when the laws changed and forbade the city from leasing the land to bigots.

And?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So the building isn't theirs
      They built the building, a considerable asset now owned by the government. They should be compensated for the full value of that asset, especially as the Philly council has had full use of the building.

the agreement they had was nullified when the laws changed and forbade the city from leasing the land to bigots.
      Question, asher. If their agreement was nullified, shouldn't the building revert to the Scouts? Their lease agreement is no different from the ownership agreement. They are one and the same.

If their lease agreement is terminated, then so is the deed that the government has over the building. They have to choose one or the other. Either uphold the lease, or failing that, return the building to the Scouts, failing that, pay the scouts the full market value of the building.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        They built the building, a considerable asset now owned by the government. They should be compensated for the full value of that asset, especially as the Philly council has had full use of the building.
        The building isn't theirs.

Question, asher. If their agreement was nullified, shouldn't the building revert to the Scouts?
        Not if they gave it to the city.

Unless you can point to a clause in the least stating the building only belongs to the city for the duration of the lease.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Unless you can point to a clause in the least stating the building only belongs to the city for the duration of the lease.
          As the lease was in perpetuity, I'd wager this is why it was a perpetual lease.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

How much will you wager?

As my favourite Alabama lawyer friend said, those are suspect anyway.

Comment

Don't have the lease in front of me.

Say, Avatars?

Comment

How about $100

Comment

I think Ben has a gambling problem... he's always wagering money...

"But you who forsake the LORD, Who forget My holy mountain, Who set a table for Fortune, And who fill cups with mixed wine for Destiny, I will destine you for the sword, And all of you will bow down to the slaughter. Because I called, but you did not answer; I spoke, but you did not hear. And you did evil in My sight And chose that in which I did not delight. Therefore, thus says the Lord GOD, "Behold, My servants will eat, but you will be hungry. Behold, My servants will drink, but you will be thirsty. Behold, My servants will rejoice, but you will be put to shame."
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'd have to think about that. Don't think I'm 100 dollars sure about this.

Comment

I think Ben has a gambling problem... he's always wagering money...
                      Albert, you know that the term "Wager" simply means a solemn pledge?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        I'd have to think about that. Don't think I'm 100 dollars sure about this.
                        You should also think about Isaiah 65:11-13, Proverbs 6:12-15, and Proverbs 16:33.
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Ben you stated yourself that you are not sure about this... that implies uncertainty... you are gambling on the chance that you are correct when you are not sure you are correct. I personally don't think anything's inherently wrong with gambling, but it's your religion.

Comment

Definition, Synonyms, Translations of wager by The Free Dictionary

a. An agreement under which each bettor pledges a certain amount to the other depending on the outcome of an unsettled matter.
                            b. A matter bet on; a gamble.
                            2. Something staked on an uncertain outcome; a bet. See Synonyms at bet.

Comment

I dont support the subsidy but I dont support the state using subsidies as an excuse to make everybody getting one comply with requirements we expect from the state. If my tax rate is less than yours, am I getting a subsidy? Can the state walk into my life now and demand I give up more freedom? Thats how I feel when I hear people demanding drug tests of welfare recipients.

Comment

Ben you stated yourself that you are not sure about this... that implies uncertainty... you are gambling on the chance that you are correct when you are not sure you are correct. I personally don't think anything's inherently wrong with gambling, but it's your religion.
                                That's protestants, sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X