Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Children of gay parents also targets of discrimination.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children of gay parents also targets of discrimination.

Kevin Cathcart, Executive Director

Kevin M. Cathcart
    Executive Director
    "U.S. Constitution requires states to honor the court orders and judgments of other states – including adoptions – and there should be no 'gay exception' to this principle."
    From March 2010 eNews (Vol.7, No. 3)

We want Oren Adar and Mickey Smith's son to have a proper birth certificate with both his fathers' names on it so he can enroll in pre-school this fall. Lambda Legal went to court to fight for it, and we won twice – first at the federal trial court level and then before a panel of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Now the Louisiana Attorney General is seeking a re-hearing before the full Court of Appeals and once again preventing the state from issuing a birth certificate. This fight is not over.

There are two vital issues at stake: First, no child should face discrimination and unfair treatment because some state officials disapprove of the child’s parents. Second, the U.S. Constitution requires states to honor the court orders and judgments of other states – including adoptions – and there should be no "gay exception" to this principle.

This is why we do impact litigation – it can bring the authority of the U.S. Constitution to the defense of a little boy and his fathers. When we win, we can fix a problem while making a very big point.

A panel of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously on February 18 that the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution requires the State of Louisiana to honor the adoption granted by the courts in New York, upholding the victory we won in 2008 at the trial court. State governments do not get to pick and choose which court orders and judgments they like and which they do not. They do not get to “undo” the judgments of other states and impose different – and in this case, discriminatory – rules. It’s a constitutional principle that holds our republic together: Legal agreements and arrangements ordered by courts do not dissolve when the parties cross state lines.

Lambda Legal fought for this same principle in Oklahoma, and we won there in 2007. In that case, the State of Oklahoma itself had passed a law so extreme that it would have nullified any adoptions obtained by same-sex couples in other states and would have rendered children of same-sex parents orphans if they entered the state. In a case called Finstuen v. Edmondson, we challenged the law and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit struck it down.

With Lambda Legal at their side, Adar and Smith started this fight for their son’s birth certificate when he was an infant. The family lives in Florida now. On the day the Court of Appeals ruled in their favor, they were enrolling their son in pre-school where they were asked to provide a birth certificate. They need the State of Louisiana to issue it because that is where their son was born. But Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell does not think that two gay men should be fathers. And now, after two federal courts have told him that his state does not have the right to ignore a legal adoption from another state – just because he has a prejudice against same-sex parents – he still refuses to follow the law.

That's a violation of the Constitution, and it’s unfair to a little boy and his fathers. Lambda Legal is continuing the fight for this family, and for all of us.
    Children of Gay Parents Target of Bigotry

What precedents are there in our country's history that politicians can legally disregard court rulings?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Taking all the issues out of this, since I agree that the child shouldn't be punished, but shouldn't the child's birth certificate have the mother's name on it so genealogy can be checked later if necessary. I know sometimes the father's name isn't given but I always thought the mother's was mandatory. Was the mother not known here?
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

How does not having both fathers on the birth certificate impugn the rights of the child?

How does it stop him from enrolling?

This is a stupid non issue when there are far greater gay rights issue to fight for.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
        Children of Gay Parents Target of Bigotry

What precedents are there in our country's history that politicians can legally disregard court rulings?
        There are plenty, dating back to the 19th century. They generally rest on the public policy exception to the Full Faith and Credit Clause.
        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Mr Fun thread? Yes.

Does the thread mention gay people? Yes.

Does the thread mention discrimination? Yes.

I don't see why Louisiana should be forced to recognise other state laws. This is just the standard procedure. Gay people move to states in order to force them to change their laws. You aren't a 'victim' if you've got an agenda backing you.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            Mr Fun thread? Yes.

Does the thread mention gay people? Yes.

Does the thread mention discrimination? Yes.
            Does Ben jump at the opportunity to post in it and surround himself with gay men? Yes.

I don't see why Louisiana should be forced to recognise other state laws. This is just the standard procedure.
            It is standard procedure to recognize other states laws. Particularly with regards to family law (marriage, adoption, etc). This is the standard procedure.

Why don't you know anything?

Gay people move to states in order to force them to change their laws. You aren't a 'victim' if you've got an agenda backing you.
            You just called anyone discriminated against for being a Christian "not a victim". I don't think you realize that yet.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I don't want to get in the middle of this, but state laws are only good in that particular state. If I get busted for pot, it doesn't matter what California's law is on it. By the same token, just because a union is recognized in one state, doesn't make it mandatory to recognize in another state.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

How could there be more than one father? Even if they skeeted into the same cup, it's not hard to determine paternity.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  I don't want to get in the middle of this, but state laws are only good in that particular state. If I get busted for pot, it doesn't matter what California's law is on it. By the same token, just because a union is recognized in one state, doesn't make it mandatory to recognize in another state.
                  I think you'll find recent court precedents are that out-of-state unions/marriages must be recognized unless there is specific legislation to the contrary.

Eg: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/feb/2
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It's an adoption, Felch. It's about gays adopting. Did you just wake up? Need some coffee?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It is standard procedure to recognize other states laws. Particularly with regards to family law (marriage, adoption, etc). This is the standard procedure.
                      No, it's not the standard procedure. States are under no obligations to recognise other state laws.

If this were not so, how could Massachusetts change their law wrt to marriage? The sword cuts both ways asher.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

No, it's not the standard procedure. States are under no obligations to recognise other state laws.

If this were not so, how could Massachusetts change their law wrt to marriage? The sword cuts both ways asher.
                        Uh, WTF?

States can change their own laws to recognize whatever they want. The standard procedure is to recognize marriages/unions from other jurisdictions unless there is legislation specifically to the contrary (eg, State A gay-marries Ben and Ned, Ben and Ned move to Arkansas which has legislation banning gay marriage, so their marriage is not recognized in Arkansas).

Comment

You just called anyone discriminated against for being a Christian "not a victim". I don't think you realize that yet.
                          Freedom of religion is guaranteed under the constitution.

If you want sexual preferences to receive the same recognition, pass an amendment.

Comment

I think you'll find recent court precedents are that out-of-state unions/marriages must be recognized unless there is specific legislation to the contrary.
                            Not the case wrt to Massachusetts, although this is a common tactic. Get married there, move to a state that bars gay marriage and try to overturn the law there. Again, these folks aren't targets, the states are targets.

Comment

Freedom of religion is guaranteed under the constitution.

If you want sexual preferences to receive the same recognition, pass an amendment.
                              Once again you completely miss the point.

You asserted that no one can be a victim if they have an agenda backing them. That applies to anyone and everyone regardless of what the US constitution says.

For instance, a Christian who is killed going door-to-door preaching is nota victim as he has an agenda backing him. That's your logic.

Comment

Working...
                              X