Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by germanos View Post
    Facts

heard that there was a 5.5 afterschock today - sincerely hope that it soon settle
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Very powerful aftershocks are hitting my city tonight.. this afternoon a 5.6 hit Viña del Mar and Valparaíso. An hour ago a 6.1 hit Viña del Mar again. It's quite scary at this point, but I'm glad the epicenter happened offshore Valparaíso and not in the devastated south.

Here two pictures, one from a collapsed road between the towns of Lota and Coronel and the other one of the O'Higgins Tower at Concepcion, which its collapse is inminent.

>>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

yikes are these aftershocks some distance from the original?

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
          yikes are these aftershocks some distance from the original?
          Aprox. 600 km.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
            Both are external to the rate of spin and both reshuffle mass.
            Yeah, but the application of an external force clearly disrupts the conservation of angular momentum, which is what was asked in the first place.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Yesterday official deadtoll: 803
              Today official deadtoll: 279

No, it's not that we have 524 undead running thru the cities of the south, it's that the ONEMI (National Emergency Bureau) mixed the list of the dead and the missing persons. Although one can understand a confusion after a huge disaster like the one hit Chile last saturday, the mistake is so big that probably the director and subdirectors of the ONEMI will be fired in the next few days.

On other news, lastnight Antofagasta was hit by a 6,4 Richter. The thing is, Antofagasta is located 1600 KM north of the Saturday quake's epicenter.

This morning Concepcion woke up with a powerful 6,8 Richter.

Comment

I don't see how it is possible for so few people to die with an 8.8 and multiple 6s for days, in a developing country.
                Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Well the 524 are missing, so probably we'll get the 800 deads anyway.

Look at this picture, it's amazing. A 25K ton ship moved 20 meters in land at Talcahuano port.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Chilean Presidentâ„¢; March 5, 2010, 12:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
                    I don't see how it is possible for so few people to die with an 8.8 and multiple 6s for days, in a developing country.
                    Well, Chileans aren't your typical Latin Americans. I've always considered them almost a Nordic country that for some reason speaks Spanish and is Catholic. If they spoke a Germanic language and were Protestants, no one would consider them Latin Americans.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                      If they spoke a Germanic language and were Protestants, no one would consider them Latin Americans.
                      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

That right's up there with sports commentators.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

After a week since the massive earthquake and tsunamis that hit the Nation, Chile begins to rise from the ground.

A 24 hours Telethon called 'Chile helps Chile', hosted by Chilean presentator Mario Kreutzberger ("Don Francisco") and others, broadcasted by all the networks, had the goal of raising 28 million dollars to build emergency houses and rebuild destroyed schools. At the end of the Telethon, in which participated actively President Michelle Bachelet and President elect Sebastian Piñera (actually the outgoing government and the elected one worked together along the crisis), the amount of money raised reached a double goal, 60 million dollars... as the earthquake, this Telethon was EPIC!!!

The iconic image of lastnight fundraising Telethon was the emotive embrace of both Presidents, an image that shows the unity of Chile in our darkest hour. Because 2 minutes and a half can tear down buildings, but could not topple 200-year history. There is a force on Earth greater than the earthquakes and tsunamis, the human will can lift a country from the ground! I yell to be heard everywhere ... CHILE IS RISING!

At the end of the Telethon Chile raised 60 million dollars

President Bachelet, President elect Piñera, host Don Francisco, humorist Juan Carlos Melendez, singer Diego Torres and former football player Ivan Zamorano, among others, sing the National Anthem

Emotive embrace between President Bachelet and President Piñera
                          Last edited by Chilean Presidentâ„¢; March 7, 2010, 16:10.

Comment

The whole world is pretty impressed and many countries would do well to emulate Chile's preparedness and boot-strapping.
                            Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Keep drinking the hateraid Ecofarm. I made a prediction and I was still far off, thanks to Chile doing even better then I expected.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X