No announcement yet.

Chile Massive Earthquake and Tsunami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's very late so I'm going to sumarize the latest news.

More information and broadcasting from the coast of the south shows extreme destruction. The government declared this has "an epic catastrophe". Most of Chileans believed (include me in that bunch) that 2010, the year of the Bicentenary, we'll be able to become the first Southamerican country in become a developed nation, the truth now is that 2010 will be the year of the reconstruction.

The Region (State) of Bio Bio has been declared in Martial Law, the Marines and military have taken over. The Region of Maule is under militar control too, but the Martial Law has not been implemented.

I visited the downtown of Viña del Mar, my city and Valparaíso today. I can tell you that this was a very cynical earthquake in this cities, 'cause it seems to be ok in most of the districts, but I could see a lot of people leaving their homes and apartments. The destruction seems to be inside and we live more than 600 km from the epicenter. At least three 15 to 25 floors buildings are sinking in the ground of Viña. Evacuation has been the order for the day and the buildings will be demolished in the next days.

Valparaíso suffered a lot in the very old patrimonial district. The front of the houses are on the ground.

Here a few pictures I took today.

Some of the collapsed buildings in Viña del Mar, 600 km. north of the epicenter. Here the Earthquake hit us with a +7.5º Richter.

The roof of the BCI Bank suffered a few damages. The antenna is about to fall the 30 floors.

A parking lot of a small hotel in Viña del Mar.

The old district of Valparaíso with a lot of damages.

... but the most important of all things, we are picking ourselves up, Chile will not be surrended into hopelessness and sorrow!

Survivor from the vanished town of Pelluhue
    Last edited by Chilean Presidentâ„¢; March 1, 2010, 02:08.
    >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

Chile has shown me a lot through this tragedy. Your country initially said, "We can handle it. Nobody do anything yet". Now, they acknowledge that they can use a little help, but you're pulling yourselves up. Taking what you need and no more. I read that the grocery stores have been opened to hand out food and that water is being dispersed.
      Good job.

That last photo is excellent.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post

That last photo is excellent.
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Dude, 8.8 is some serious ****. Thank goodness Chile has its act together.

I'm really glad you & yours are ok, CP.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I just can't stop crying.. the south is going to hell! It's like a zombie movie. People shouting they need food but steal LCDs, are taking over the cities with guns and over running (sp?) Military Forces that have order of not to shoot. Concepción, Talcahuano and Talca are under siege by CRIMINALS! Two division of the Marines of Viña del Mar entered Concepción this morning, but aren't able to reach every corner of the city.

A few moments ago, a bomb blast destroyed a Mall at Concepcion. Firemen didn't have more water to fight it. The Mall collapsed completely over one important avenue of the city. Leopard thanks are moving to the hills.
            Here some tv pictures:

As if this wasn't enough punishment to the city, an airplane has crashed in Concepcion. Little do we know about the crash.

On a good news I spoke with a friend that was missing. She saw the tsunami entering the town. Her beach house is in the Pacific Ocean, she escape on her jeep that later saw in the middle of the Maule River while she was being evacuated in a Navy helicopter. Her house in Talca is on the ground, but all of her family is ok.

Comment

Destruction is also big in the region north of Talca. Santa Cruz, where I lived for half a year, destroyed, surfer beach of Pichilemu and other coastal towns hit by the tsunami, apparently dozens missing, several friends homeless.

This is big ****. Aguanten!
              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

More pictures (from emol.com) of what is called right now 'Megacataclysm'

Martial Law on Concepcion

Pelluhue's houses on the Pacific Ocean

Bilbao Building Towers - Santiago

Church at Santiago

Buin Battallion arrives to Talcahuano

Containers almost over Talcahuano's houses

The vanished Talcahuano downtown

Crushed cars at Viña del Mar

People of Talcahuano and Concepción have welcomed with tears in their eyes the Marine troops and soldiers of the Army that have just arrive in the cities.
                Last edited by Chilean Presidentâ„¢; March 1, 2010, 20:20.

Comment

You really have some good photos. Heart-wrenching, but very good.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You could probably sell the flag one to a news outlet.
                    Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Oh no, the pictures from Viña del Mar and Valparaíso are mine. The one of the man with the flag in Pelluhue and the last ones are from TVN News Channel and El Mercurio Newspaper. I apologize if I wasn't clear on that.

Comment

Chilean President, are those armored vehicles in that picture Strykers or related somehow to Strykers?
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Those are Mowag units, from the Viña del Mar division of the Marines. As far as my limited military knowledge, they are similar to the Strykers.

EDIT: Mowag Famae, a local version with modifications of the regular Mowag.
                          Last edited by Chilean Presidentâ„¢; March 2, 2010, 18:15.

Comment

Well it seems like my prediction was pretty close. About 750 suspected casulties, and 723 confirmed.

You folks did an awesome job. I hope when Vancouver gets their big one that we are as prepared.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You "guess" correctly and it becomes a "prediction". This is how we get religious people.
                              Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                                About 750 suspected casulties, and 723 confirmed.

You folks did an awesome job.
                                Sorry, couldn't resist.
                                Graffiti in a public toilet
                                Do not require skill or wit
                                Among the **** we all are poets
                                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X