Humanure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humanure

I've been noticing several hippies on youtube advocating the storing and composting of human waste for use as organic fertilizers claiming 1) it is free (actually the saw dust will likely cost most people money) 2) it is environmentally friendly and lowers carbon emissions but I can't help but think this is the past and not the future. Here's a video:

Given the large number of pathogens in human waste the humanure must be aged for 1-2 years before use as fertilizer plus there is the whole grossness of having to **** in buckets and then handle the waste during the composting process. I really have to question wither this sort of stuff is really that beneficial and if our time would be better spent on other things. I mean a 20lb bag of cow manure fertilizer can be bought for $5 and most cities have a green waste recycling program where you can get fresh compost for free so what's the economic benefit? Lastly, given the risk of leachate contaminating ground water during the 1-2 year aging process, using the humanure to soon could contaminate crops with pathogens, wouldn't it be more sanitary and safe for human and ecological health to just deal with sewage in a modern sewage processing facility? We all want to help the environment but ****ting in buckets just doesn't seem like a practical way forward.

A wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanure

I've seen several Hollywood types and eco types advocating the use of humanure and I'm wondering if anyone here knows someone crazy enough to try this, would actually do this themselves, or think this is really the way to help the environment. Anyone?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Don't **** where you eat?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Night soil is the reason you can't get a salad in China.

If they really want to do this use it to on stuff not meant for human consumption like reforesting or what not. And let the hippies do it.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Farmers still use manure from livestock as part of their fertilization of fields. So doesn't livestock manure have numerous pathogens as well, just as human **** does?
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I"m sure it does though I'd guess human feces has a lot more human specific pathogens then say cow dung. It's not completely on topic but this is what wiki says about night soil.

Sanitation issues

Without proper treatment, the use of human feces as fertilizer is a hazardous practice because of disease-causing microbes it contains. Nevertheless, in developing nations it is a common practice. Parasitic worm infections, such as Ascariasis in these countries are linked to night soil, since the larvae are in feces. There have also been cases of disease-carrying tomatoes, lettuce, and other vegetables being imported from undeveloped nations into more developed nations.[citation needed]

Human waste may be attractive as fertilizer because of the high demand for fertilizer and the relative availability of the material to create night soil. In areas where native soil is of poor quality, the local population may weigh the risk of using night soil.

The safe reduction of human waste into compost is possible. Many municipalities create compost from the sewage system biosolids, but then recommend that it only be used on flower beds, not vegetable gardens. Some claims have been made that this is dangerous or inappropriate without the expensive removal of heavy metals. There are other simple yet effective ways to process the compost into safe and usable material. One method that has been successful is known as "humanure" where the material is composted with kitchen refuse and high-carbon materials such as yard waste, heated through biological activity and kept for an optimal period of time whereby the pathogens are destroyed. Many people in the United States and other countries have been practicing this method for over ten years now without any negative consequences.[1]
          I guess that's why it needs the long 1-2 year compost time while cow manure doesn't need to be cured for as long.

Comment

Nice one, smartass. You should have read my post as asking if say, cow manure would have just as much cow pathogens as human **** would have just as much human pathogens. Why would one be safer than the other in this case, then?

Comment

You got DanSed.

Comment

The organic food craze is completely retarded.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

On many points.

The large amount of hormones that they stick into chicken/cows I think does have real impact in our bodies though, and shouldn't be ignored.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The large amount of hormones that they stick into chicken/cows I think does have real impact in our bodies though, and shouldn't be ignored.

Let me know when there's some scientific evidence on this point. Until then, I'll continue eating cheaper and safer non-organic produce.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

When I buy snacks, I try to buy organic snacks - or, if not organic, "all-natural" snacks to try to avoid as much junk ingredients such as high fructose syrup as possible. I'm not strict about this, but I am certainly aware of what I buy for snacks, and read ingredient labels.

And I do not like being DanSed.

Comment

People freaking out about HFCS is also retarded.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                          Look at me, I'm retarded.
                          get help

Comment

Organic 'has no health benefits'

New data: High-fructose corn syrup no worse than sugar
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I used to sell organic food. Excellent scam.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X