Kennedy's seat to turn Republican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
    It still has public support, just not in its current form. Thats one of the Democratic mistakes, thinking that the mandate the recieved for change ment whatever change they wanted. It wasn't a blank check, it was an invitation to make an offer.
    And their offer is molded by the GOP, despite having only 40 senators, framing the debate. The have no balls to offer real reform, so instead they offer this milquetoast turd sandwich that does nothing that it was initially planned to do: it still leaves millions uncovered, it still doesn't do anything to significantly control costs, it still doesn't do anything to significantly curb the power of insurance companies (or, as I've come to think of them, disease profiteers). It doesn't do anything the Democrats wanted to do, because they always let the Republicans frame the debate.

It's not so much that the Democrats have brought a knife to a gunfight; it's that they've brought boxing gloves to a thermonuclear war.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Dude, I just flipped over to CNN after watching Olbermann rail against "teabaggers" and Anderson Cooper is showing Haitian kids waiting to get limbs amputated...

CNN having its priorities straight

CNN bumming me the **** out
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

As a side note, the curling iron comment wasn't an out-of-the-blue incitement to violence as GePap and Olbermann would have you believe, but a reference to some rape case Coakley was involved in that angered people in Massachusetts.

edit:
        In October 2005, a Somerville police officer living in Melrose raped his 23-month-old niece with a hot object, most likely a curling iron.

Keith Winfield, then 31, told police he was alone with the toddler that day and made additional statements that would ultimately be used to convict him.

But in the aftermath of the crime, a Middlesex County grand jury overseen by Martha Coakley, then the district attorney, investigated without taking action.

It was only after the toddler’s mother filed applications for criminal complaints that Coakley won grand jury indictments charging rape and assault and battery.

Even then, nearly 10 months after the crime, Coakley’s office recommended that Winfield be released on personal recognizance, with no cash bail. He remained free until December 2007, when Coakley’s successor as district attorney won a conviction and two life terms.

KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GePap View Post
          And as Obermann says right in the video - he was asked AFTER the rally about that statement (no excuse to claim he didn't hear the question) and even given the chance, he wouldn't denounce that call for violence.
          Look, I don't disagree that Brown is a douche, and yes, if told about the comment, he should have disavowed it (or at least come up with something better than he did). But that's still a leap to "sexist".
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
            As a side note, the curling iron comment wasn't an out-of-the-blue incitement to violence as GePap and Olbermann would have you believe, but a reference to some rape case Coakley was involved in that angered people in Massachusetts.

edit:
            In October 2005, a Somerville police officer living in Melrose raped his 23-month-old niece with a hot object, most likely a curling iron.

Keith Winfield, then 31, told police he was alone with the toddler that day and made additional statements that would ultimately be used to convict him.

But in the aftermath of the crime, a Middlesex County grand jury overseen by Martha Coakley, then the district attorney, investigated without taking action.

It was only after the toddler’s mother filed applications for criminal complaints that Coakley won grand jury indictments charging rape and assault and battery.

Even then, nearly 10 months after the crime, Coakley’s office recommended that Winfield be released on personal recognizance, with no cash bail. He remained free until December 2007, when Coakley’s successor as district attorney won a conviction and two life terms.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar..._05_rape_case/

Sorry, still a reference to violence against Coakley, even if it refers to a case she mishandled.

As for commentary about the race, the Daily Show was right on last night about the race.

If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Good!

It is done. The people have spoken. The battle is only now beginning and we have a long fight ahead to regain our endangered freedom.
              signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

And as Obermann says right in the video - he was asked AFTER the rally about that statement (no excuse to claim he didn't hear the question) and even given the chance, he wouldn't denounce that call for violence.
                Are you seriously considering this an a call for violence. You think that person literally wanted Brown to stick a curling iron up her ass?

Jesus, I hope you don't play any competitive sports or multiplayer video games for that matter...
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                  Oh Jesus, I didn't even think of that possibility. I was just expecting healthcare reform to be rammed down the country's throat in spite of Brown's win...
                  Beware Voinovich. He's been in talks with Obama all day. I don't see how anyone with a brain in there head would consider a deal at this point considering the mood at the voting booth, but Voinovich is retiring and has no reasons to worry about his constituency.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

<--- is very happy he lives in a country with a (relatively) sane health care system.

Some of the highest life expectancies in the world for about 5% of GDP spent on healthcare, not freaking bad...
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                      Are you seriously considering this an a call for violence. You think that person literally wanted Brown to stick a curling iron up her ass?

Jesus, I hope you don't play any competitive sports or multiplayer video games for that matter...
                      I hope he doesn't own a firearm (OR a curling iron). **** games.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos View Post

Unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                          However, back in 2008, health reform had strong public support, too. The Dems, per usual, let the GOP frame the debate, and frittered everything away.
                          Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                          And their offer is molded by the GOP, despite having only 40 senators, framing the debate. The have no balls to offer real reform, so instead they offer this milquetoast turd sandwich that does nothing that it was initially planned to do: it still leaves millions uncovered, it still doesn't do anything to significantly control costs, it still doesn't do anything to significantly curb the power of insurance companies (or, as I've come to think of them, disease profiteers). It doesn't do anything the Democrats wanted to do, because they always let the Republicans frame the debate.

It's not so much that the Democrats have brought a knife to a gunfight; it's that they've brought boxing gloves to a thermonuclear war.

Before you throw out that trite "framing the debate" catchphrase for the gazillionth time, could someone explain to me what that even means? Do the Dems not frame the debate anytime they make a well-founded argument that invites rebuttal, or vice versa?

What's a specific example of how the GOP frames the debate in a way that totally forecloses the possibility of the Dems making X or Y argument? I just don't understand the concept. Either you're persuasive, or you're not, right?
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

• "Framing" is one of the dumbest scapegoats the Dems have ever latched onto. They'd probably be more effective at achieving their political goals if they stopped listening to intellectual hucksters like George Lakoff...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• My own political party is becoming more retarded everyday.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Imagine that.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X