No announcement yet.

How Long is Your Commoote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jan-Feb are bad. December and March are snowy and around freezing. The rest of the year is more pleasant than DC/MD/VA weather

IIRC Montreal spends more on snow removal than any other city in the world.

St. John's has us beat for pure depth, though. I think we average ~8 feet a year. St. John's gets ~12.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

10 minute bike ride along the river past the Millennium Stadium, through the park past the castle and then through the beautiful civic centre buildings to my destination, which is one of those buildings.

This evening I managed to get a present in one shop, buy some groceries in another and still be home before 17:40...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

There are circles of Hell more pleasant than summers in DC.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I remember one stretch about 3 summers back where it was exactly 99F every day for 10 days straight with very high humidity.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hmm, we only get 5 and a half feet on average in a year.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm 7 minutes. Winding hilly forested road, two lanes, 2 stop lights, one right turn, very light traffic.

However, if that road is closed for some reason (power line or tree falls, car wreck, deer) it will take 20 minutes to take the alternate route. Last week a power line fell about 100 feet from my last turn. I had to turn around and go 30 minutes out of my to get around it. That sucked. Still beats my last commute which was 50 miles/minutes
              Monkey!!!

Comment

10-15 minute commute by foot.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  Jon, true big city residents and small town people have much shorter commute times than people living in suburban/exurban sprawl.
                  Oddly, this is not the case. F.e., the boroughs of NYC have the highest commute times. That is unless you consider the boroughs not the true big city.

Consider that public transportation tends to take more time than hopping in a car, even discounting the stop-and-go traffic. That said, you're ready for war at work once you've fought through traffic getting there.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    You don't own a car? Honestly, I remember commuting using public transportation in Montreal in winter (for 11 years) and it ****ing sucked.

Me? I have a car, it used to take 15-20 minutes to drive to work, and then we moved to a new building which is close to my house. If I drive now it takes about 8 minutes. Biking is faster, and walking is more relaxing.
                    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Oddly, this is not the case. F.e., the boroughs of NYC have the highest commute times. That is unless you consider the boroughs not the true big city.

a) I'm a bit surprised at how long the NYC times are.
                      b) Even so, 38.5 minutes isn't very long compared to most people who pull the standard rush-hour commute in most big cities in the US (suburb to urban core)
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

a) I'm a bit surprised at how long the NYC times are.
                        b) Even so, 38.5 minutes isn't very long compared to most people who pull the standard rush-hour commute in most big cities in the US (suburb to urban core)
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

15 minute walk through the neighborhood i grew up in... brick roads, few traffic, oak trees, fresh air. I know at least a dozen different routes, an unnecessary precaution now, but one i picked up a decade ago when i lived in the ghetto of the most dangerous city in Florida.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

30 minutes. 10 minute walk to the train station and then a 20 minute train ride.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

and you work at the other train station? Perhaps you can get a transfer?
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

My commute is 1hr usually, half of it walking time, half of it on the train.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X