**** you, method of characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
    I have no insight as to that case at all. However, I will say that I can't take RS seriously after the laughable GS piece.
    Yeah, no question that RS is biased. Doesn't mean that they are wrong about everything.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't care about bias. I care about ignorance and stupidity.

Like I said, I'm not saying that they don't have a real story; I just don't know anything about it.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Skimmed the rest of the article. Whoever wrote it doesn't even have a clue about how short selling works. It's nothing but an ignorant screed.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

There really is no problem with naked shorting that needed fixing. PEOPLE COVERED THEIR SHORTS. There wasn't a string of cases where people failed to cover or something. WTF is the problem?

EDIT: read some more. what a ****ing retarded article. I like how he started with some claim of an actual crime and then proceeded to write a bunch of crap that doesn't even make logical sense. "Counterfeiting shares" my ass. Do banks "counterfeit money" when they print deposit statements exceeding their reserves? What a ****ing nincompoop.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, some things didn't make sense even to me.

But the 1.7m for it dropping 50% in 10 days is a bit suspect. As were some of the other things.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I can't stop running that through my head, trying to see if there was some kind of meaning buried in it...
              I'll try again.

Is KH referring to the daily world of trades? If so, I agree with his comment that the prices of stocks go up randomly.

I am arguing that as a larger process, that the overall value and wealth in the market will increase over time, wrt to constant dollars (ie, taking out inflation). This is not random, and is predicated by larger market forces towards increases in efficiency and production.

I guess I'm drawing the analogy between brownian motion being predominant for very small things, while Gravity becomes predominant for the larger things.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                Yeah, some things didn't make sense even to me.

But the 1.7m for it dropping 50% in 10 days is a bit suspect. As were some of the other things.

JM
                That was the part I read first, and I had assumed the rest of the article was about that. He just used it as a springboard.

Options with 9 days to expiry that deeply out of the money are NOT usual, AFAIK. And they certainly would be the best way to make the most out of insider knowledge of a looming catastrophe. But I have no knowledge of whether what's being claimed is true, nor am I particularly trusting, given the source.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  I'll try again.

Is KH referring to the daily world of trades? If so, I agree with his comment that the prices of stocks go up randomly.

I am arguing that as a larger process, that the overall value and wealth in the market will increase over time, wrt to constant dollars (ie, taking out inflation). This is not random, and is predicated by larger market forces towards increases in efficiency and production.

I guess I'm drawing the analogy between brownian motion being predominant for very small things, while Gravity becomes predominant for the larger things.
                  Quoted to punish KH
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Gravity? If you're going to use half baked physical analogies, the second law of thermodynamics is where you'd want to go.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      Quoted to punish KH
                      quit it
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Quoted to punish KH
                        I ****ing hate you.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                          So Goldman Sachs is looking to hire a physicist who is boning up on his math
                          Seriously, WTF? Maybe I should lock my content advisor onto some wiki articles and start applying.
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

• Goldman Sachs doesn't even look at people who are dumb enough to do any liberal arts.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                              Seriously, WTF? Maybe I should lock my content advisor onto some wiki articles and start applying.
                              Good luck. There are some places that hire non-mathy types. The quant divisions at Goldman are not among those.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Uh, it was KH with the half-baked analogy of comparing shifts in prices to brownian motion.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X