No announcement yet.

**** you, method of characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is one rule I'll never break. I freak out when I get the 5 o'clock shadow. It's disgusting!
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
      I can't believe I actually tried to explain the coordinate singularity at the Schwarzchild radius of a black hole to him.
      Arpanet?
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

That was the part I read first, and I had assumed the rest of the article was about that. He just used it as a springboard.

Options with 9 days to expiry that deeply out of the money are NOT usual, AFAIK. And they certainly would be the best way to make the most out of insider knowledge of a looming catastrophe. But I have no knowledge of whether what's being claimed is true, nor am I particularly trusting, given the source.
        Out of the money options that close to expiration are the new deep in the money options of tomorrow.
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
          That wasn't even the worst post this thread.
          Thanks, you're too kind.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
            Out of the money options that close to expiration are the new deep in the money options of tomorrow.
            Neither are particularly useful. delta = 0 or 1 doesn't do much that you can't accomplish just by holding cash/buying the sock)
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I always thought there was something in PID control logic that could apply to option pricing, never bothered to go much further than an inkling because it made my brain hurt. KH, make it so.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Neither are particularly useful. delta = 0 or 1 doesn't do much that you can't accomplish just by holding cash/buying the sock)
                It was a joke, but I can see you just want to shoe me away.

Comment

• Free boundary problems are awesome

American options as 2nd order phase transitions

Money = Gibbs free energy
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I want to design a pricing scheme dependent on observing a physical second order phase transition. Get the relevant parameters from the markets, tune the temp., pressure to match. If the helium turns superfluid then you exercise the option

It'd be like cutting open chicken livers to tell the future

(except it would actually work)
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I want to design a pricing scheme dependent on observing a physical second order phase transition. Get the relevant parameters from the markets, tune the temp., pressure to match. If the helium turns superfluid then you exercise the option

It'd be like cutting open chicken livers to tell the future

(except it would actually work)
                      This sounds like something out of a steampunk graphic novel.

Comment

• Disregarding all the physics stuff in this thread -- I just hope this interview goes well for you

For some reason I never thought you would be a finance guy -- There's no real reason for my thinking since its a good fit-- I just figured you would be in a physics department somewhere perpetually-- I admit I was curious if you fit any of the characters on the TV show the Big Bang Theory though
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• a) I don't watch it
                          b) Graduate school has been one long, slow decline in my motivation to continue doing physics. I think there are far too many physicists, and an even greater oversupply of physics PhDs trying to do physics full-time
                          c) I hope my interview goes well too. Thank you.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• While overall I have had a decline, there is a lot more oscillation. Right now I am on an upward curve.

I also had a lot of decline in the first three years.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

a) I don't watch it
                              b) Graduate school has been one long, slow decline in my motivation to continue doing physics. I think there are far too many physicists, and an even greater oversupply of physics PhDs trying to do physics full-time
                              c) I hope my interview goes well too. Thank you.
                              And there isn't an oversupply of quants? Or is the fact you have an interview evidence that there isn't?

Comment

• The fact that they get paid 3 times as much as academic physicists is proof that there isn't as much of one.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X