Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[serious] Off Topic Moderation Input - Part 2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • C0ckney
    replied
    it seems to me that we have three choices. we can either

    a) ban ben
    b) continue as we are now
    c) show a bit of restraint when dealing with him

    unfortunately c) is a lot like b) in practice. i doubt making new rules will really work. ben/others will find a way around them and it will, as elok rightly said in the other thread, lead to a lot of passive-aggressive nonsense and endless whining.

    Leave a comment:


  • giblets
    replied
    I would like to politely ask Kidicious, Ben Kenobi and AAHZ to never post in my threads again.

    Leave a comment:


  • giblets
    replied
    Is it okay to say someone has a child molester mustache?

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    like not calling people child molesters etc?
    Yeah, that's a bit excessive. Once or twice, ok. 17 times in the same thread?

    Leave a comment:


  • Aeson
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Also, I'd like to see a return of the rule of deleting threads attacking posters. We had that before. Posters right now feel that they are free to say whatever they like without repercussions. That's not really helping things. Poster A says that Poster B is the devil, and then goes around attacking poster B for 'making arguments he doesn't like. The inmates run the asylum now, Aeson.
    I am ok with this. Though it would need to include indirect attacks (attacking stereotypes) to be even-handed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kidlicious
    replied
    I hate to even ask, but can we not implement excessive rules? How about the important things like not calling people child molesters etc?

    Leave a comment:


  • giblets
    replied
    If I'm ignoring Ben I don't want and entire page full of hidden Ben posts.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by giblets View Post
    Ban triple (and quadruple, etc.) posting, if someone wants to respond to multiple posts they should use the multi quote feature.
    Why?

    Leave a comment:


  • giblets
    replied
    Ban triple (and quadruple, etc.) posting, if someone wants to respond to multiple posts they should use the multi quote feature.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aeson
    replied
    Yah, they would need to be spelled out more clearly if such a rule was made.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elok
    replied
    Spite/hate could be somewhat subjective and hard to quantify for the purposes of discipline.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    I think the real solution instead of an imposed one is to simple *ask* that poster X not post in your thread, rather than some heavy handed moderation solution. It's a social problem with a social solution.

    I've mostly abided by my personal rule of not posting my own political threads. I'm willing to abide with the "do not post in my threads" with one exception - anything concerning the Catholic church. Given that it's my faith I think it should be fair game. I think both of these is a good compromise. People get some of what they want, I get some of what I want. I've already sort of done that by signaling what threads I won't post in, "ie, threads with ****" in the title. That seemed to be working well.

    Also - the whole, 'post is boring, let's ban, seems to me an even WORSE idea. Who defines 'boring'?

    Also, I'd like to see a return of the rule of deleting threads attacking posters. We had that before. Posters right now feel that they are free to say whatever they like without repercussions. That's not really helping things. Poster A says that Poster B is the devil, and then goes around attacking poster B for 'making arguments he doesn't like. The inmates run the asylum now, Aeson.

    But I'm not sure any of this will resolve the core issue, of people not wanting to read opinions that they disagree with being contrary to what's in the best interest of Poly. I think, really, the best solution is to just tell the folks who are complaining about views they don't like to just live with it. The more they feel that their views ought to be catered to in moderation, the demands will continue. If they feel that by complaining enough they will get what they will want - you've established a reward cycle.

    I really suggest, for once, not rewarding them.
    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; June 2, 2015, 20:10.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aeson
    replied
    OT Rules/Conduct Discussion

    What rule changes would you like to see? Or are things the way they should be? All input welcome. Ming is apparently chomping at the bit to have something to enforce.

    For my part I am committed to stop participating in spiteful (even feigned) discussions, and also from long/boring exchanges. As a matter of self-improvement and focusing on more productive uses of my time, regardless of what the rules are/will be.

    If forum wide changes aren't necessary, just the need for "places of refuge", perhaps we could revisit the [serious] thread tag and/or something along the lines of [civil] to allow humor and friendly ribbing but not spite/hate. They won't work unless strictly enforced of course.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kidlicious
    replied
    They hate our tradition

    Leave a comment:


  • Egbert
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeson View Post
    Threadjacking is a proud and glorious OT tradition.
    Aeson speaks the truth.

    Tradition

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X