This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post

Do you also get those instant-loading blank pages?
    Got a couple, but since bbc, imdb and others did the same we probably can't blame Aeson for that
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• from the looks of it, whenever anyone makes a post, the whole site becomes unresponsive and comes up with a 504 gateway timeout. And i have a feeling anyone loading any page on the site causes the same thing. What's the server got for a CPU? A 333MHZ celeron?
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Powered by hamsters on little wheels.

Aeson probably has them doped up.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Hey, I'm a nice guy. Have to let the hamsters take a break every now and then!

Apolyton is hosted on a VPS with 16GB RAM, 6 cores, 320GB SSD. However so are several other websites, some of which get pretty intense traffic at times. And the Apolyton database is bloated beyond belief, that may have something to do with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
            Hey, I'm a nice guy. Have to let the hamsters take a break every now and then!

Apolyton is hosted on a VPS with 16GB RAM, 6 cores, 320GB SSD. However so are several other websites, some of which get pretty intense traffic at times. And the Apolyton database is bloated beyond belief, that may have something to do with it.
            Maybe you could transfer the really old threads into a separate archive that is read-only.
            That*s what we do in another Forum where I am mod. This and closing threads after 5000 postings and let the users create a continutation thread for the closed one (because really long threads also create a huge load on the database)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Is the VPS shared or dedicated?
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Aeson - Your hamsters need more drugs. The site has been incredibly slow the last number of days (timeout errors common).
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Weekends are the worst.
                  I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    Aeson - Your hamsters need more drugs. The site has been incredibly slow the last number of days (timeout errors common).
                    I agree ... hickups and times where the site was not reachable en masse
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• The VPS is on shared hardware. Not sure if the problem is something I can fix without moving to a new host. I’ve blocked most of the bots but only helps a little... the bad ones are constantly changing their footprints. But not really enough hits from them to account for how slow things are.

Comment

• Timeout, blank page, blank page, timeout, unknown error, timeout, timeout, timeout, blank page, unknown unknown in unknown, timeout. Takes on average about 10 mins to load a page.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                          -Jrabbit commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sounds like your Internet really sucks. Poly is loading way slower than other sites for me, but nothing like 10 minutes.

• It's off and on ... server is getting hammered by various bad intentions.

Comment

• Makes me wonder what other sites are on this server. SpambotPartyZone.Com?

Comment

• Can’t you get free DDoS protection from somebody?

Like Project Shield or Cloudflare?

Iplists.firehol.org might also help
                            Last edited by pchang; June 23, 2018, 19:14. Reason: stupid autocorrect
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• I don’t know why CloudFlare doesn’t catch it. They charge for rate limiting.

Comment

Working...
                              X