Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can critical thinking explain why we are here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can critical thinking explain why we are here?

Science can explain how we got here, but could it ever explain why we are here? I think that is a more important question, and when I say "we" I don't mean us humans, I mean all of existence.

I'm not suggesting that people of faith have the ability to find that answer, just wondering what it would take to find out the why, not the how.
    be free

Who cares?
    Unbelievable!

Comment

This is all I'm going to say in what will turn into yet another religious thread.
      I want a scientist to explain how the components of the Big Bang came to be.
      If you can't, go away.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
        Who cares?
        This is not an atheist vs Christian thread. This is about a question I have not seen asked yet.
        be free

Comment

I'll bet you 5 dollars, or your local equivalent, that it turns into one.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Isn't 'why' something you never ask in science?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
              This is not an atheist vs Christian thread. This is about a question I have not seen asked yet.

It hasn't been asked because "why" is a concept entirely confined to the human imagination. There is nothing objective to discuss here.

Next!

edit: damn, x-post
              Unbelievable!

Comment

You're a ****ing dunce. The only difference between "why" and "how" is that "why" presumes an external, reasoning influence. How the **** are you NOT going to make it a religion vs. atheism thread?
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, thanks. I'm aware of that. My question is, CAN science discover the WHY.
                  be free

Comment

Science can't say anything about the why. The principle, "we should keep looking at stuff to find more cool stuff" is assumed in empiricism but I don't believe it's explicitly stated.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yeah, thanks. We're aware that this was your question. The one and only answer was repeated thrice in the three posts immediately preceding yours. Good night.
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

I'll go ahead and take it in USD, gambling that the currency recovers.

Comment

You are presuming there is a "why" to be answered. Unless there was an external agency which created the universe, it is a nonsensical question, like "how many ducks does it take to travel back in time?"
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Can science discover the motivation of an agent which is BY DEFINITION unobservable (outside our universe)?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                              You are presuming there is a "why" to be answered. Unless there was an external agency which created the universe, it is a nonsensical question, like "how many ducks does it take to travel back in time?"
                              Good luck. This is how his mind works. Are you glad you started this thread yet?

EDIT: You owe me 5 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X