Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can critical thinking explain why we are here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't understand the question.

Will/can science ever lead to the explanation of why existence... exists.
    be free

Comment

Who said the external agency was a deity?
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post

The question is nonsense.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I understand the question, you idiot. What I don't understand is why you're still asking it when we've already answered.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Who doesn't? I understand it all. I also understand what path it will take.
            I already had Imran calling me a dumbass, I don't need someone else making the same mistake.

BTW, since KH doesn't have you on Ignore yet, tell him he's an arrogant punk. An emo wannabe.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              Who doesn't? I understand it all. I also understand what path it will take.
              I already had Imran calling me a dumbass, I don't need someone else making the same mistake.
              You sure it's mistake? Especially when he wasn't directing that comment at you?

Comment

Go count your toes, Che.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

KH, you're not thinking deep enough, you're keeping your brain within the confines of what you call reality... try not to do that, because this is the kind of question where you can't do that.

The ultimate question is not HOW it got here, but WHY it's here. Understanding the how might lead to the why, and that is my question, can SCIENCE lead us to the WHY.
                  be free

Comment

FBs question is poorly worded.

The question he's trying to ask, I think, is "will science ever be able to answer how it is that the universe came into being (as opposed to not coming in to being)."

My, albeit limited, understanding is that all information that predates the big bang is not knowable to us. It was either destroyed with the Big Bang or it exists beyond the "boundaries" of the universe (which is, itself, a nonsensical notion, as the universe is everything that is, and thus, nothing can exist beyond the boundaries of everything that is). If such information were contained, say at the edges of the universe, that information is forever beyond our knowing, as the edge of the universe is beyond the event horizon, and the expansion of the universe means we will never be able to see it. I'm not even sure we have a way of knowing how much of the universe exists beyond the event horizon.

The word "why" which FB continues to insist on using, carries an assumption that he refuses to acknowledge. "Why" can't be answered because there is no "why" to answer, as far as we are able to know.

Comment

What a meaningless mass of gobbledygook. I don't care what reality you're in. Your question was retarded, the answer has been given, go **** yourself.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The question he's trying to ask, I think, is "will science ever be able to answer how the universe came into being."

My, albeit limited, understanding is that all information that predates the big bang is not knowable to us. It was either destroyed with the Big Bang or it exists beyond the "boundaries" of the universe (which is, itself, a nonsensical notion, as the universe is everything that is, and thus, nothing can exist beyond the boundaries of everything that is). If such information we contained, say at the edges of the universe, that information is forever beyond our knowing, as the edge of the universe is beyond the event horizon, and the expansion of the universe means we will never be able to see it. I'm not even sure we have a way of knowing how much of the universe exists beyond the event horizon.

a) There's no such thing as the "big bang"
                        b) "The Universe" is, by definition EVERYTHING IN THE PAST AND PRESENT WHICH IS PHYSICALLY CONNECTED TO US. Of course we can't see anything else; it's a matter of DEFINITION.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Now you sound like a Christian, KH.

You might as well have just said "Science walks in mysterious ways".
                          be free

Comment

Now you sound like a Christian, KH.

You might as well have just said "Science walks in mysterious ways".
                            No.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              a) There's no such thing as the "big bang"
                              (punchline) ... boom-tisch!

Comment

KH, you're not thinking deep enough, you're keeping your brain within the confines of what you call reality... try not to do that, because this is the kind of question where you can't do that.

The ultimate question is not HOW it got here, but WHY it's here. Understanding the how might lead to the why, and that is my question, can SCIENCE lead us to the WHY.
                                Very good.

Naturally, KH tap dances around the question without saying anything relevant.

Comment

Working...
                                X