Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can critical thinking explain why we are here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
    Since when is FB sn00py?
    Name change. I think it is in the log.

sn00py the Civ3 graphics guy, not snoop369, the civ3/4 player, OT person, and sometime site helper.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I know you scientist types have a bigger, more accurate word for the inflation event, but us lay people call it the Big Bang.

There's the possibility that we could infer certain things about conditions prior to inflation (n.b. we cannot even come close to doing that currently)

We already know that the rules you would use to extrapolate backward to get a finite time to the moment the universe came into being are flawed (inflation). The Big Bang was this hypothesized moment. This is why it's not merely a matter of terminology.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, I know that. But there is stuff we are physically connected to that we can't see. Everything in the universe which has expanded beyond our ability to see still has a gravitational effect on us, I presume, however small.

What does any of this have to do with a postulated external entity?
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          Yeah, I know that. But there is stuff we are physically connected to that we can't see. Everything in the universe which has expanded beyond our ability to see still has a gravitational effect on us, I presume, however small.

What does any of this have to do with a postulated external entity?
          None. I'm not postulating anything of the sort. Your b) was a response to something I'd written. I assumed you were responding to my point about much of the universe being unknowable because it's beyond the event horizon.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

a) I have no idea what "event horizon" you're talking about
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
              Science does admit it does not know the answer to your question.

Theology, or maybe some new-age philosophy would be where you go for why.
              thanks for your opinion, that's merely all I was asking for, not some parading ballet avoidance dance demonstrated by KH, all because he can't fathom the idea that he doesn't or can't know something.

be free

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                a) I have no idea what "event horizon" you're talking about
                The boundary beyond which we will never be able to see, because of inflation.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
                  thanks for your opinion, that's merely all I was asking for, not some parading ballet avoidance dance demonstrated by KH, all because he can't fathom the idea that he doesn't or can't know something.

That fact that you are unable to understand what everyone was trying to tell you doesn't mean KH was the idiot here. You question was and is nonsensical.

Comment

No, KH is, in fact, an idiot. He talks big, spouts crap, but in the end he's an idiot.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                      The boundary beyond which we will never be able to see, because of inflation.
                      a) That is not an "event horizon"

b) There are points in the universe which we were previously in causal contact with which we will never be in contact with again, due to inflation. I don't understand what you're saying here. If I'm locked in a room with a cat, then the cat is pulled out of the room and the door is locked again, then the cat (over the period of time it was in the room) continues to be part of my universe. The current cat is not part of my universe, but this terminology is itself flawed due to relativity.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, okay, whatever Slowwy.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
                          thanks for your opinion
                          It's not an opinion.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Let me guess: slowwy has insulted me at least 3 times in this thread, despite the fact that I don't read his posts.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

More or less.

Comment

He's like a little yippy dog who follows me around. It's like magic; I post and then within a few minutes slowwy posts.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X