Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here with any experience with rabbits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here with any experience with rabbits?

Yesterday I was mowing the lawn when I stumbled upon a rabbit's nest, with two newborn bunnies (at least, two above ground that I can see). They can't be more than a week old: eyes closed, no bigger than a largish mouse. Just lying there curled into balls. They were, miraculously, unharmed by the lawnmower.

I immedately used some of the grass clippings to shield them from the sun and predators and reconstructed the nest as best as I could. There was an adult rabbit in our yard this morning; the mother we assume, but she was a good 10-15 feet away from where the nest was.

Today, the newborns seem unchanged, or perhaps even somewhat improved: they're rolling around in the grass to get comfortable, and occasionally issuing the saddest little call I've ever heard.

Galnemer and I are animal lovers (all of her (and now my) cats were feral and/or strays) and we want to make sure we're doing everything we can to ensure their survival, but don't want their mother to reject them. Any suggestions?

(No, I did not put [serious] in the title, and I fully expect a bull****:helpful reply ratio of at least 20:1. But that 1 would be helpful, and a great comfort to the wife.)
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Srlysoily, stay away. If the mother still tends them, they'll be allright, but every time you check if they are ok you disturb
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

If you've scented them mom will not come to them. Are they in the middle of the lawn?

We raised Angoras for summer once due to a rescue. It's important to keep the temperature cool and their mom with them. Keep an eye on them, and if mom doesn't come to them you need to act. Your best bet would be to call a rabbit rescue. If you want to take care of them yourself I can give more advice.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

We have not yet laid a finger on them; the closest we've come was to put an unused table umbrella over them to provide shade during the hottest hours of the day, and during some rain this morning.

My impression is the same as you guys; the less we do, the better for them. If the mom was around yesterday, and they look better today, I figure we haven't ****ed up too bad yet, and should just keep watching.

EDIT: and yes, they are smack dab in the middle of the lawn.

Comment

I feel compelled to post in this thread, but have nothing useful to contribute.

That's a really strange place for a scrape. The ones I've seen are generally under a bush.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post

That's a really strange place for a scrape. The ones I've seen are generally under a bush.
            Well, it's about your famliy, so it would be weird if you didn't comment
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Does cooking count?
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post

Well, to be fair, we had a sudden, inexplicable growth of wildflowers pop-up in the middle of the yard, so we let that patch go without mowing for a while. The flowers had all died off, so it was the first time that area had been mowed in about a month.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

Does cooking count?
                  Bravo KH - you were high on my list

TBH, only Wiggy was higher .

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I have no idea what you mean, fakegerman stalker....
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well I've had a rescued cat who was a stray.

Just cut around the nest until the little rabbits get big.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

Does cooking count?
                        Too boney. Too little meat. And expensive to boot.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Well, these guys wouldn't be expensive. They're growing in my backyard for free.

Don't think the wife would take kindly to the suggestion, however.

Comment

She'll never know. Just tell her it was a seriously boney chicken.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                              Too boney.
                              That's what your MOM said last night!

BURN!!!

(ignore the not enough meat part )
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X