No announcement yet.

If you were a mod, what would make you read a thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EON (for me anyway) only got special treatment from me in the CIV II MP forum and in the OT. Both places where chest thumping is a requirement. The reason was entertainment and increased traffic. The civ II MP forum was mainly a ghost town, any traffic was appreciated. And MP players weren't chased away because of EON's rantings. NOTE: EON probably served more time banned than almost any other poster so please don't think he got a total free ride because he didn't.

In the OT him and his dozens of DLs provided a vast amount of amusement and anyone that took him seriously was an idiot. The arguements that he had with himself would draw 1000's of views and posts.

I was a touch uncomfortable with what he did in the other on topic area. I was not a specific mod in those forums but I won't totally absolve myself from responsibility. But he was so absurd that other posters ripped him a new hole. I figured that he was too over the top for anyone to take seriously enough to leave because of it. I don't know who he chased specifically. I thought the entertainment value far exceeded any risk in that area. I could have been wrong. If anyone did leave because of that i guess i was wrong, but that really hadn't been demonstrated. It's a judgement call. I'll be the first to say that I wasn't perfect in all my judgement calls when it came to modding, and if any of those decisions hurt anybody, I am truely sorry. I was always doing what I thought was best for the site, (which didn't necessarily make it right and I don't want it to seem like a justification)

Content and Traffic are the lifeline of websites, sometimes you have to make compromises, sometimes you make mistakes. You admit you're wrong on some and move on. But deep in my heart, I don't think how EON was treated had anything to do with the decrease in traffic here but after reading all the comments about it from other posters makes me think I was indeed wrong about that.

I don't know if you will count that as an apology. (i guarentee it was more sincere than others that have been posted recently and I hope you see just how torn I was on the issue) For the record, I really didn't like him and played 3 CIV II MP games with him. My record was 1-2. I played one CIV IV game with him where he promptly declared war on three different civs then claimed we ganged up on him and quit.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
      Basically you guys had your favourites whom you allowed to get away with the most outrageous behaviour whilst harshly clamping down on others, like Asher, who were frequently the butt of these excesses.
      Clamping down on ASHER while i don't approve of a lot of things he's done, I was always one of his biggest supporters every time the perma ban arguement started. This was one of the contributing factors to my stepping down. So please don't comment about things that you don't have all the details on. Asher usually deserved all the punishments that he recieved (and he'll probably agree with that in private)
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        Clamping down on ASHER while i don't approve of a lot of things he's done, I was always one of his biggest supporters every time the perma ban arguement started. This was one of the contributing factors to my stepping down. So please don't comment about things that you don't have all the details on. Asher usually deserved all the punishments that he recieved (and he'll probably agree with that in private)
        I have never once been banned legally or reasonably.

The only thing you can do to me is impeach! It is illegal to imprison me or prevent me from posting.

Edit: Oh wait, WTF. rah, did you remove my OT President title? THIS IS TREASON. WHO DID THIS.

WHO DID THIS!!!!
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Whether he was absurd or not is not the point. It encouraged others to act like him, thus destabilising the forum when they get banned and he is not.

Also, you haven't addressed the issue of Asher having to endure numerous homophobic attacks which, in the main, were ignored by the mods. But woe betide should he step even slightly across the line of the shambolic rules (another long-standing gripe) of this site...

EDIT: OK, it has been addressed. Sure he may have deserved a lot of the bannings, however I think in many cases he was sorely provoked by posters protected by a longer leash that you allowed him. Which is my main point re Asher.

I do wholeheartedly accept your apology wrt EoN. By people admitting they were wrong in the past, we can all, as a community, move on...
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I guess a thread having lots of activity in a short amount of time, would make me check in to see if everything's okay...
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
              Whether he was absurd or not is not the point. It encouraged others to act like him, thus destabilising the forum when they get banned and he is not.

Also, you haven't addressed the issue of Asher having to endure numerous homophobic attacks which, in the main, were ignored by the mods. But woe betide should he step even slightly across the line of the shambolic rules (another long-standing gripe) of this site...

I do wholeheartedly accept your apology wrt EoN. By people admitting they were wrong in the past, we can all, as a community, move on...
              Drop your arms! Then pick them up again and fight against this treason!
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Sorry, going out to play me some poker - followed by some midnight Star Trek movie action...

Not that I'm being treasonous, or anything...
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Mobius, yes I gave BK and ASHER more rope in their discussions/insults. They're big boys and can handle themselves and as long as there was no colateral damage I didn't see the need to intervene. I know others will disagree with that, but that one, I won't apologize for. I've also given you and a host of others considerably more slack they probably deserve in the name of just having a bit of fun. If that killed poly, then I partially to blame.

Asher,
                  I did not remove your title. You earned it fair and square. PM the new overlords, they seem to have been reasonable up to this point.

Now i have to clean the DR. Pepper from my keyboard after reading
                  I have never once been banned legally or reasonably.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

People 'round here actually read the threads? I just post in them.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Search forum by post for occurances of your name. Summarily ban each poster who mentions you. Done and done...

Comment

Mobius, yes I gave BK and ASHER more rope in their discussions/insults. They're big boys and can handle themselves
                        And thank you for that.

I don't believe I have ever, once complained about Asher's insults to me to the moderators here. Insults to other people sure, but not me.

I always got a kick out of his unending calls for bans/restrictions.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Search forum by post for occurances of your name. Summarily ban each poster who mentions you. Done and done...

Gee if ming had used that strategy, he could have finished off Poly years ago.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            I'll be the first to say that I wasn't perfect in all my judgement calls when it came to modding, and if any of those decisions hurt anybody, I am truely sorry. I was always doing what I thought was best for the site, (which didn't necessarily make it right and I don't want it to seem like a justification)

I don't expect mods to be perfect. No one is. My beef with you (and Ming) was the complaints you are addressing here were not addressed (or worse, addressed as something altogether different), at least publicly. Now that you've addressed it, no worries. Hopefully the current administration can learn from the experience for determining how to approach Civ 5's on-topic.

As for someone who stopped posting in CIV on-topic here, I've already stated I was one. (Given my contributions to Civ III here and at CFC, I don't think it's a stretch to say that was a loss of on-topic content for this site... and it may have even hurt the OT traffic wise as I tend to put OT'ers to sleep )

Comment

WTF!!

Ming and rah, powerless without their banning rods...
                              Asher, apparently stripped of his duly elected, if honorific, title....

I feel lost, at sea without these pillars of OT leadership to guide my every post.

Must... not... insult... the Dutch...
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I still believe the downfall was due more to lack of on topic content and the inability to find downloads on the site than any moderation issues. We were losing on-topic posters well before we loosened up here. We didn't cater to the modders and they found another home. I'm not saying it didn't contribute, but to lay the blame mostly there is putting your head in the sand and I hope the new management doesn't think that was the major cause, because if so, things will never get better.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X