X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending the recession

Crumbling nation? U.S. infrastructure gets a 'D'

Engineers' report card covers 12 categories, sees decline vs. 2001

This view of cars sitting in San Francisco traffic is repeated across America's urban areas. A report card by civil engineers found the nation's road infrastructure has worsened in recent years.
    Justin Sullivan / Getty Images file

Related stories
    What’s this?
    Engineers give U.S. public works a 'D'
    Infrastructure Status Report to be Released

Most popular
    • Most viewedhttp://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Te...h/shadow.png); cursor: pointer;" id="boxB_3053751_tab2" align="center">• Top rated
    8 reportedly arrested in Phelps bong incident
    Stump the Sussex spaniel named best in show
    NFL '09 projections — how will your team fare?
    U.S. senator: GM to meet restructuring plan date
    A-Rod let the game down
    Most viewed on msnbc.com

Photo features
    More
    Reuters
    The Week in Pictures
    Rare snowfall in London and a raging fire in Nairobi are among some of the week’s picture-memorable moments.

AP
    PhotoBlog
    View and discuss the pictures and issues that caught our eyes.

NBC Field Notes
    NBC News correspondents and producers across the U.S. shed light on the news of the day.

msnbc.com staff and news service reports
    updated 10:23 a.m. CT, Wed., March. 9, 2005

WASHINGTON - Crowded schools, traffic-choked roads and transit cutbacks are eroding the quality of American life, according to an analysis by civil engineers that gave the nation’s infrastructure an overall grade of D.
    A report by the American Society of Civil Engineers released Wednesday assessed the four-year trend in the condition of 12 categories of infrastructure.
    The overall grade slipped from the D+ given in 2001 and 2003. Overall conditions remained the same for bridges, dams and solid waste, the group said, and worsened in roads, drinking water, transit, wastewater, hazard waste, navigable waterways and energy.
    Story continues below ↓
    advertisement | your ad here

"The condition of our nation’s roads, bridges, drinking water systems and other public works have shown little to no improvement since they were graded an overall D+ in 2001, with some areas sliding toward failing grades," the society said.

Click for related content
    Check the grades in each infrastructure category

'Patch and pray' criticized
    “Americans are spending more time stuck in traffic and less time at home with their families,” William Henry, the group’s president, said in a statement. “We need to establish a comprehensive, long-term infrastructure plan as opposed to our current ‘patch and pray’ method to ensure a better quality of life for everyone.”
    The report said $1.6 trillion should be spent over the next five years to alleviate potential problems with the nation’s infrastructure.
    Transportation alone requires $94 billion in annual spending, the report said, yet gets only $59 billion.
    The House is to begin debate Wednesday on a six-year, $284 billion highway and mass transit bill, which stalled last year in a money dispute between the White House and Congress.
    C+ the highest grade
    The report concluded that airports will face the challenge of accommodating more regional jets and super-jumbo jets. Grade: D+.
    It’s uncertain, the report said, whether schools can handle growing enrollment and smaller class sizes required by the No Child Left Behind Act. Grade: D.
    The report also noted that many transit systems are borrowing money to maintain operations as they’re raising fees and cutting back service. Grade: D+.
    The highest grade? A C+ for solid waste. The lowest? D- for drinking water, navigable waterways and wastewater.
    Three new categories — public parks and recreation, rail, and security — were added to the previous 12. Each received a C-.

Seems to me that spending the money to upgrade our infrastructure would create jobs, which increases spend which increases taxes.

More importantly, once the infrastructure is upgraded, we'd be in a better position to compete globally.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Yeah, our infrastructure is pretty ****.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Rather self-interested pronouncements.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

While true, isn't it consistent with your own observations?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

In many respects, our infrastructure is gold-plated. There are some areas where we could spend more money to reasonably good effect, but I don't envision that a world without choices and priorities would be good for the country.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I don't know what it's like in San Francisco, but in my travels I've been very impressed by the infrastructure in the US.

Just the interstates alone is so much better then we have in Canada, where the transcanada is two lane, and that is the highway that is supposed to bind Canada together.

I just got back from a trip to Edmonton, two lane all the way, in the US it would be an interstate at least 4 lanes, as it is one of the primary routes used by truckers.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

How busy was the Canada road? How busy the US road?

Many US roads are pretty poor.

Also, our buses/light rail/etc mostly suck.

And we could use with cheaper broadband to everywhere. No matter what DanS says I don't have a choice right now, might as well get the government in to it.

And after reading about Cali, I no longer trust the state governments, I want the federal.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I hope nothing is done - I find it a thrill to drive over bridges that haven't been retrofitted in over fifty years.
                "

Comment

How busy was the Canada road? How busy the US road?
                  The Canadian road was not busy at all, the ones in the US were very busy.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

A very busy 4 lane road might need improvement, a not at all busy 2 lane road does not.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

There are only 3 main roads over the rockies, and this is the third. It's the second most commonly used route to cross Canada.

In the states it would be an Interstate.

Comment

I agree.

Sure, compared to Afghanistan and Zimbabwe, our infrastructure is solid gold, but compared to our peer nations, we suck...just as we suck in most every other category (don't even get me started on early education!)

In any case, this isn't some fly by night random homeless guy talking, these guys are engineers who probably (overwhelmingly likely) know what they're talking about.

Add to the fact that almost everyone who lives here can cite countless of examples of sh|tty roads, crumbling bridges, etc, is it really much of a stretch to connect those dots?

I think not, and good news is, as our p|ss poor management of the roads in the past is concerned, once they ARE fixed, we can go back to underfunding them for the next ~50 years...plenty of time to take care of other projects (or pork, depending on your POV) before having to do it all over again.

If the goal is the creation of jobs, this would certainly fill that bill.

-=Vel=-
                        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx View Post
                          but compared to our peer nations, we suck...
                          I don't believe that to be the case.

Comment

All the bridges around me are spectacular and new. And they are not small bridges either. In fact the only infrustucture in America I find to be substandard is port facilities/airports/rail (listed in increasing order suckitude).
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

We could certainly use some improvements, or just some basic maintainence work, here in CT. The winters do bad things to roads, and this winter has been particularly bad in that regard, to my eyes. The potholes on I-84 are getting really bad.

The power grid is always something that people talk about needing work. I'm no expert on it, of course, but surely there could be $ spent to good effect there.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X