Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a religion an intelligent person can follow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Though, for most of the laity, while Jesus's Birth and his Resurrection are the reasons for the celebration, the Christmas tree, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, and Easter egg hunts are important parts of the holiday, as much (if not more) than going to Church (then again, Ben may say they are anti-Christian or something).
    They are not more important that going to church, except to those who are not Christian, or only nominally.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
      They are not more important that going to church, except to those who are not Christian, or only nominally.
      As I've explained before, I define a religion by how the believers see it, not how (for lack of a better term) "strict constructionists" view it.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I speak from 20 years of going to a church, and understanding people I know who still do.

Comment

I kinda know religious people as well . I do live in the Deep South US after all (you may have heard of the "Bible Belt").
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Don't lump everyone in the same boat then.

Bible belt is not Catholic, from what I recall.

Comment

No, but they are Christian. Well, then again, you may not consider them such.

The Catholic stuff was to show Ben that not all Catholics are crazy against the pagan symbolism.

But, regardless, before this, I used to live in New Jersey, which outside of Massachusetts is the hotbed of Catholicism in the US.

And before you say that the Pope decides what's true Catholicism and what the laity thinks doesn't matter (well, actually before Ben says it), I'd argue that Vatican II was direct response to the laity's clamor for change. Their opinions on the matter do have some influence (and also I happen to be a postmodernist, so I usually think things are defined by what the people believe it is).

Comment

I would be very surprised to hear a true believer in the bible belt say that the Easter bunny is more important to them than Jesus dying for our sins.

Unless they are really that Hicksville.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                  I would be very surprised to hear a true believer in the bible belt say that the Easter bunny is more important to them than Jesus dying for our sins.
                  Since when did I ever come close to saying that? Reinsert the words into your own mouth.

Not every Christian thinks that going to Church defines a holiday (Hell, most of them usually go to Church multiple times a week anyway).

Or you think the "Christmas spirit" is merely going to Church on the day?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    No, but they are Christian. Well, then again, you may not consider them such.
                    I don't follow anything any church says, so don't have allegiances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Since when did I ever come close to saying that? Reinsert the words into your own mouth.
                      I didn't say you did.

I was refering to this bit:

"the Easter bunny, and Easter egg hunts are important parts of the holiday, as much (if not more) than going to Church "

The "if not more" bit seemed off for anyone who believed, and didn't just pay lip service to the church.

Comment

• It was implied .

I would bet that the vast majority of Christians think Christmas more as a time of giving and being with the loved ones and family rather than going to Church (even though they probably do both on the day).

Santa Clause, the Christmas Tree, all that is symbolic of that (the giving nature of the holiday).

I was refering to this bit:

"the Easter bunny, and Easter egg hunts are important parts of the holiday, as much (if not more) than going to Church "

The "if not more" bit seemed off for anyone who believed, and didn't just pay lip service to the church.

'Going to Church' does not equal 'Jesus dying for our sins'.

Comment

Or you think the "Christmas spirit" is merely going to Church on the day?
                          Well, there's the bit about being "Christian" to people, even though that is supposed to be a year round thing.

Comment

• I would bet that the vast majority of Christians think Christmas more as a time of giving and being with the loved ones and family rather than going to Church (even though they probably do both on the day).
                            Why would it be one or the other.

The only folks who would have to make a choice are converts like me who's family wouldn't come. Most folks would go together as a family at Christmas.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

'Going to Church' does not equal 'Jesus dying for our sins'.
                              Easter does though. Celebrating and remembering that through mass would be more important than eating a chocolate egg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin
                                Easter does though. Celebrating that would be more important than eating a chocolate egg.
                                Can they not celebrate it in their own way? Or value things differently than you? I didn't make any references to not celebrating the Savior dying for their sins. I talked about church.

Or are you deciding the proper way for them to celebrate or value their holiday? They can do both, but perhaps they like spending time with their kids, hunting for eggs more as a way to celebrate what Jesus has given them.

I think that Churches advertising their Easter egg hunts indicates the popularity for celebrating the day in that way (though, of course, they aren't the only place with Easter egg hunts).

Why would it be one or the other.

I'm guessing that they think of spending time with the family more about sitting around the fire having a Christmas Day meal of turkey or ham... after they all went to Church. "More" not meaning they don't think of going to church at all, mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X