No announcement yet.

The Last Last Election Thread II about the Last Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I've read the Minnesota law under which Franken challenged contemplates eventual decision by the Senate itself (don't ask me why), which would of course favor him. Before that there's the bipartisan inspection & recount phase (a three-man panel with one guy from each side and one neutral), however, and if it shows everything to be above board, he probably wouldn't bother taking this any further than that.

(Boy, it feels so odd to have my vote actually matter this much for once, just a 725-ballot spread in one of three races deciding the ability to filibuster...)
    Unbelievable!

Comment

MN is tossup, possibly leaning Dem (there's a ~240 vote difference right now and closing, and Coleman has committed to not pushing for a recount; Franken hasn't). AK is probably only slightly leaning GOP at this point (even if Begich doesn't make up ~3500 votes out of ~70k, there's still the special election that the GOP has to win). And GA is likely GOP. I'd say that it's either 58 or 59...
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Thanks KH.

Amazing how far the State of Ohio went into the background of Joe the Plumber. Absolute smear campaign.

Is O'Reily rightfully asking where the ACLU is? The state sponsored smear campaign, the search of Joe's records, DMV, welfare, taxes etc to dig up dirt...
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

From what I've read the Minnesota law under which Franken challenged contemplates eventual decision by the Senate itself (don't ask me why), which would of course favor him.

Last edited by Ramo; November 6, 2008, 21:53.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

In Virignia the race between Perellio and Goode is still too close to call. Yesterday Goode, a renegade conservative Democrat who turned Republican in 2004, seemed to be ahead by a mere 500 votes. Today, as the absentee ballots were counted Perellio pulled a little ahead. It's going to be a mandatory recount.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
              Indiana really is the most amazing state of the election. It went from Bush +20 in 2004 to Obama winning. And it's also the birthplace of the KKK.
              No, Tennessee was the birthplace of the KKK.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Ding, ding! Strangelove wins the prize.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Ben I actually think I know where you're going with this,
                  Thank you.

One more bites the dust.

My job here is done.

I've found that people are more open to the truth, when they can find another 'error' to nitpick.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

On other hand BK maybe your avatar will make you more open to the truth that you're gay and will finally, finally, come out of the closet.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo
                      From what I've read the Minnesota law under which Franken challenged contemplates eventual decision by the Senate itself (don't ask me why), which would of course favor him.

From one of the several articles I've come across:

Minnesota Senate race still unsettled
                      By BRIAN BAKST • Associated Press • November 6, 2008

ST. PAUL, Minn. — In the end, experts say, it could be the courts or even the Senate that speaks the loudest on Minnesota’s unsettled Senate race. ...

After a recount, the candidates or any eligible voter can head to court to challenge how the election was conducted or the votes were tallied. The Minnesota law spelling out the contest raises the possibility of Senate involvement.

“I don’t think there is any possibility it will be simply a recount,” said Hamline University law professor Joseph Daly. “It is destined for the courthouse and ultimately it is destined for the United States Senate based on this law. There’s too much at stake. There’s too much vitriol.” ...

In percentage terms, Minnesota’s race will go down as the closest Senate election prior to a recount. In 1974, a New Hampshire race came down to 355 votes out of 200,000 cast.

The loser in that race, the Democratic candidate, overtook the Election Day victor by 10 votes in a recount. But more maneuvering and court challenges overturned that result, and the state’s Republican governor awarded the election certificate to his party’s nominee.

The case ultimately wound up before the Senate, where Democrats held a large majority. But a standoff dragged on until August, when the Senate voted to declare the seat open. A special election was held the next month, and record-breaking turnout helped Democrat John Durkin prevail.

“It does go to some indication of how far the Senate was willing to go,” said Associate Senate Historian Don Ritchie. ...

Once all appeals are exhausted, either party can ask that the information be forwarded to the presiding Senate officer. From there, it’s up to the Senate to decide how to proceed.

“Ultimately the Constitution gives the Senate the sole power to determine the qualifications of its members,” Ritchie said. “In the end, there is no appeal if the Senate makes the decision.”

Ohio State University law professor Edward Foley, who is writing a book on disputed elections, said it’s up to the candidates to decide how far to push things.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081106/NEWS15/81106089
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                        In Virignia the race between Perellio and Goode is still too close to call. Yesterday Goode, a renegade conservative Democrat who turned Republican in 2004, seemed to be ahead by a mere 500 votes. Today, as the absentee ballots were counted Perellio pulled a little ahead. It's going to be a mandatory recount.
                        One of the sweetest results of the election. Here's a letter Goode wrote to one of his constituents regarding Keith Ellison's election to the House:

Dear Mr. Cruickshank:

Thank you for your recent communication. When I raise my hand to take the oath on Swearing In Day, I will have the Bible in my other hand. I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way. The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don’t wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran. We need to stop illegal immigration totally and reduce legal immigration and end the diversity visas policy pushed hard by President Clinton and allowing many persons from the Middle East to come to this country. I fear that in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America and to prevent our resources from being swamped.

The Ten Commandments and “In God We Trust” are on the wall in my office. A Muslim student came by the office and asked why I did not have anything on my wall about the Koran. My response was clear, “As long as I have the honor of representing the citizens of the 5th District of Virginia in the United States House of Representatives, The Koran is not going to be on the wall of my office.” Thank you again for your email and thoughts.

Sincerely yours,
                        Virgil H. Goode, Jr.
                        70 East Court Street
                        Suite 215
                        Rocky Mount, Virginia 24151

I'm glad to see that ****** get kicked to the curb...
                        -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                          Ben I actually think I know where you're going with this,

Thank you.

One more bites the dust.

My job here is done.

I've found that people are more open to the truth, when they can find another 'error' to nitpick.
                          After this I have no clue where you were going.

(And speaking of nitpicking, I believe you meant "can't.")
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

• From one of the several articles I've come across:

What does that have to do with anything Franken has done? AFAIK, all he has said is that the mandatory recount should be completed...
                            -Bokonon

Comment

• GODDAMNIT. MY BRAIN HURTS.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo

From one of the several articles I've come across:

What does that have to do with anything Franken has done? AFAIK, all he has said is that the mandatory recount should be completed...
                                I think you misread what he wrote.
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X