The Last Last Election Thread II about the Last Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darius871
    (And speaking of nitpicking, I believe you meant "can't.")
    No. He was trying to imply that he says things which aren't true in order to make you think.

You know, not because he's an idiot and a pathological liar.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      GODDAMNIT. MY BRAIN HURTS.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        What does that have to do with anything Franken has done? AFAIK, all he has said is that the mandatory recount should be completed...

I think you misread what he wrote.
        Well, it was a poor choice of words referring to Franken's "challenge" in the past tense because technically the recount is automatic, but it's misleading to call it "mandatory" as he had the choice of whether to waive it in light of the $100K price tag, and chose not to. Ramo's right that it doesn't actually end up in court until after the recount results, and how far it goes is entirely up to Franken at this point.
        Last edited by Darius871; November 7, 2008, 01:45.
        Unbelievable!

Comment

• They still haven't figured out who won those three races? Do they need help from people who can count?

Comment

• Obama is really getting off to a good bipartisan start...

Obama apologizes to Nancy Reagan for 'careless' joke

President-elect Barack Obama called Nancy Reagan this afternoon to apologize for a joke about her having held "séances" in the White House, an Obama aide said.

“President-elect Barack Obama called Nancy Reagan today to apologize for the careless and off handed remark he made during today’s press conference," said transition spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter. "The President-elect expressed his admiration and affection for Mrs. Reagan that so many Americans share and they had a warm conversation."

Obama was asked at his press conference today if he'd spoken to all the "living" presidents.

"I have spoken to all of them who are living," he responded. "I didn’t want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about doing any séances."

He was apparently confusing stories about Reagan's consulting with an astrologer with those about other First Ladies -- from Mary Todd Lincoln to Hillary Clinton -- who tried to make contact with figures from the past.

Comment

• FOX said Hillary Clinton communed with Eleanor Roosevelt.

You just don't know what the heck you're going to hear next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
                FOX said Hillary Clinton communed with Eleanor Roosevelt.
                Evidently she didn't get very good advice..
                Unbelievable!

Comment

• Seance, astrologer, who cares? How is that a bipartisan problem?
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• It's not the factual mistake that pisses folks off, but rather appearing to make light of Reagan's death. He obviously didn't intend that harsh meaning (just like lipstick on a pig was misinterpreted) but it's still a pretty boneheaded thing to say. A good quarter or more of his own voters still buy into the modern romanticization of Reagan so that isn't a great start to say the least.

Seriously, if some prominent repug had said something like "I'd love to congratulate Obama's grandmother for the election victory but I'm not into the whole seance thing," everyone here would fill an entire thread calling him the lowest scum on earth. But coming from Obama it's "just a gaffe" of course.
                    Last edited by Darius871; November 8, 2008, 01:03.
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

• Doesn't matter, he's already been elected.
                      "

Comment

• Originally posted by EPW
                        Doesn't matter, he's already been elected.
                        Oh come on, the mere fact that he picked Rahm Emanuel is proof that his re-election campaign began yesterday. Everything matters.
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

• No, it does not matter. Try again.
                          "

Comment

• If repugs' kneejerk reactions to harmless gaffes don't matter, what does?
                            Last edited by Darius871; November 8, 2008, 01:19.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius871
                              Seriously, if some prominent repug had said something like "I'd love to congratulate Obama's grandmother for the election victory but I'm not into the whole seance thing," everyone here would fill an entire thread calling him the lowest scum on earth. But coming from Obama it's "just a gaffe" of course.
                              Uhhh....I didn't even think of this interpretation until you said it. I thought he was referring to Nancy Reagan's rumoured (true?) interest in the occult while she was in the WH.

Interpreting it to mean that he was making fun of her for having a dead husband is a hell of a stretch.
                              Last edited by KrazyHorse; November 8, 2008, 01:22.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
                                Obama is really getting off to a good bipartisan start...
                                Stop being a whiny ***** about ridiculous misinterpretations of a harmless joke.

Get mad at him for promising to pull GM's chestnuts out of the fire instead.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X