This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's wrong to lie. He's lying.

Republican values say it's okay to lie as long as it's for political gains?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The decision by John McCain to suspend his campaign is giving panicky GOP lawmakers political cover and appeared to inject new life into negotiations on a proposed $700 billion bailout of the financial markets.

McCain

Comment

Obviously, McCain will show for the debate. The GOP primary debates were a big part of how he got back into the campaign.

Why he floated the idea of postponing remains a mystery. Obama had a great comment on why it shouldn't be postponed:
        "This is exactly the time when people need to hear from the candidates," he said, adding: "Part of the president’s job is to deal with more than one thing at once. In my mind it’s more important than ever."
        NY Times story
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          It's wrong to lie. He's lying.

Republican values say it's okay to lie as long as it's for political gains?

Are you new at this politics game?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

No. I just don't have to like liars or apologize for them.

It's something you should work on.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

McCain could have gotten a lot of good press by publicly asking for the Friday debate topic to be changed to the economic crisis (their already going to throw in a few questions on that anyway). That would look like leadership and its not really all that risky of a debate, he and Obama have been very cautious about positions on the crisis not wanting to get in a position of supporting something which doesn't pass or worse supporting something which passes and makes things worse.

I don't see how Obama could possibly argue against a topic switch. He can't minimize the importance of the crisis or claim he lacks time to prepare without weakening himself terribly. He would have to accept and let McCain score a leadership victory on the topic change especially when the original topic was McCain's perceived strength, thus McCain would be seen to be Magnanimous and could parlay that into forcing an additional debate to be added to the schedule possibly as the 'new' last debate ware he gets to do foreign policy at a time when it won't be completely over shadowed by the crisis.

That would have been really smart especially if had then combined it with a totally surprise populist position on the bailout which could throw the democrats off their game. But now he's squandered that opportunity by doing the hail marry attempt which is getting laughed at from all directions. McCain consistently over-reaches, takes big risks without consideration and falls flat on his face.
              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

McCain, more of the same.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                  Obviously, McCain will show for the debate. The GOP primary debates were a big part of how he got back into the campaign.

I think it has less to do with that than it does the GOP base hated all the other candidates more. Romeny is a Mormon, Huckabee a tax and spend liberal, Fred Thompson a snooze fest, and Guilliani a psychopath. McCain simply had the least negatives.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

VoteNoBailout.org

100,000 letters sent to elected officials in 24 hours opposing bailout legislation

VoteNoBailout.org was launched on September 22, 2008, in response to the Bush Administration's attempt to rush Bailout legislation through Congress.

In an astonishing response to its appeal, more than 56,000 letters were sent to elected officials within the first 24 hours through the VoteNoBailout.org email advocacy mechanism. People are circulating this appeal all over the internet on web sites, blogs and between individuals.

A sample of the VoteNoBailout.org letter reads:

"Congress has no right to give the White House and its Secretary of the Treasury the power to transfer the people's money to the richest bankers in the country. Vote No to the Bailout legislation. The Bailout legislation is being rammed through Congress in a matter of days.

"This is an illegal power grab by the White House and their richest friends on Wall Street. The Legislation allows the Treasury Department to appoint the same bankers who created the crisis to administer and dictate the use of trillions of our tax dollars. It is also one of the biggest transfers of wealth from working families to the ultra-rich in the history of the United States.

"Congress should help families stay in their homes. Wealthy executives should be forced to disgorge their obscene profits, fees and bonuses that made them ultra-rich while they ran the economy into the ground."

VoteNoBailout.org was initiated as a project of ImpeachBush.org. There will be daily updates for the media about the number of people who have sent letters to Congress opposing this unprecedented handover of the people's money to the richest bankers and the assumptions of vast, new powers by the Executive Branch of government.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Fred Thompson a snooze fest, and Guilliani a psychopath

How is that a negative for the GOP base? Not trying to be all that funny, but the reasons you think Guiliani is a psychopath are reasons that the far right like them. They just dislike his pro-choice, pro-gay ideas.

Thompson is a snooze, but he's the right's dream on policy. Though he screwed himself by getting in waaay too late.

Furthermore, regardless of if you think McCain had the least negatives for the base, he was dead in the water, with no money and, in large part, the debates rescued him from that position.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

At what point did you agree that it's ok for politicians to lie?
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

If they would have tried to pull this bailout **** in some European countries there would have been massive riots. USians are sheep. They suck!
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Debate or no, McCain did bail on Letterman today, and that was a huge tactical error. Letterman ripped McCain a new one. Total mockery of suspending the campaign (which is where the story was when the show taped this afternoon). Repeatedly.

Letterman made a great point: Go ahead and go to Washington; do your job. But there's no reason to suspend your campaign. Just let Sarah Palin carry on.
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

It shows he has no confidence in her...

Comment

That was Letterman's point. It seems to prove she's not ready for prime time politics.

Comment

Working...
                                X