Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is the Vote, btw? I just realized there is a good chance I woN'T BE IN THE us voting tueady?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
      When is the Vote, btw? I just realized there is a good chance I woN'T BE IN THE us voting tueady?

JM
      IIRC, Tuesday, Nov. 4.

BTW: Intrade shows stock in Obama is at 56; in McCain at 43.

Comment

I'm not sure many people would call speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative "campaigning", especially as its being hosted by President Bill Clinton, who I hope, everyone realizes is no Republican.

What would you call it? Speaking at a conference regarding an initiatives that would appeal to moderates in the runup to the election is not campaigning. Right. Glad we got that straight.

In any case, why's he wasting time at the CGI if it's so valuable that he's willing to blow off a Presidential debate?

McCain should be ashamed, and you know it.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

If politicians were to be ashamed for making political moves... well, you know...

Besides, if you really think that people will consider speaking at the CLINTON Global Initiative "campaigning" then you really have no clue.

I mean, Hell, GePap can see where it makes sense as a political gambit and you can hardly call him a McCain shill.

And now:

Bush asked McCain and Obama to come to the White House to fix this and, Obama has accepted! Of course, one could say that Bush is in on this (I think Bush thinkss he can save his own legacy, but whatever).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

McCain desperately needs to be seen as the architect of sanity in the bailout, and to show himself reaching across the aisle. Obviously, Obama will shadow his every move.

Now, McCain just needs Bush to schedule their big meeting for Friday evening.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

If politicians were to be ashamed for making political moves... well, you know...

Politicians should be ashamed for blowing off one of three Presidential debates.

Besides, if you really think that people will consider speaking at the CLINTON Global Initiative "campaigning" then you really have no clue.

It obviously is campaigning. You don't think the press is going to cover his speech? Pretending that it isn't campaigning is totally naive.

And you ignored the point. Why is he wasting time at the
              CGI if his time is so valuable that he's going to blow off a Presidential debate?

I mean, Hell, GePap can see where it makes sense as a political gambit and you can hardly call him a McCain shill.

I'm not arguing about what future spin wars might say. I'm arguing that this is an action of a man no shame.

I don't understand why you're defending this horse****.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

Imran is discarding all pretense of fair and balanced. You've got to respect that in a way. You know fully where he stands.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

And -Jrabbit can see it too.

I'm wonder where this "blowing off" of the debate comes from. New lefty, crazy, detached spin? If anything, you should say blowing off the VP debate as a lot of the crazy left seem to believe will happen.

As if Obama was going to agree to postpone the debate in the first place. It was political gambit to make McCain seem, as GePap put it, "Country First".

It obviously is campaigning. You don't think the press is going to cover his speech? Pretending that it isn't campaigning is totally naive.

Pretending that the public is going to treat it as campaigning is totally asinine. Hey, if Obama went to the floor of the Senate and spoke against the Paulson Bill, and the press covered it, would you think that would be considered campaigning too?

And I think he can easily say that it is easy to postpone a Presidential debate for a week, but you can't postpone an important summit like the Clinton Global Initiative, which has brought together all these world leaders, and if it wasn't so important, he'd be right there, right now.

I'm arguing that this is an action of a man no shame.

As is slamming your opponent for not typing emails when his disability prevents him from typing without pain (which even your VP nominee said was horrible)... but this is politics. If any of them had shame, they wouldn't be here.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    And -Jrabbit can see it too.

I'm wonder where this "blowing off" of the debate comes from. New lefty, crazy, detached spin?
                    He's saying he won't show up at the last minute. Calling it anything else is just spin.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Please... he'll show up. And, as stated on the front page, the story will be that he didn't prepare for the last couple days for the debate and the press will talk about how great he did for not preparing for the debate.

Him really not showing up would utterly kill his campaign, and put him down 20 pts the next day. And for someone down in the polls, he WANTS the debates. That's how you catch up to a front runner.

Comment

Please... he'll show up
                        Then if he shows up he didn't blow it off.

But he's threatening to blow it off, so don't act all surprised when the media talks about it.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

I'm not arguing about what future spin wars might say. I'm arguing that this is an action of a man no shame.

Sorry, but where is the "obligation" to have a debate?

This is an election, and candidates will do what they need to get elected. No candidate has to agree to any debates, ever, unless they think that not doing so hurts them more than helps them. After all, McCain wanted a lot more debates, and Obama chose not to take him up on it. Now McCain, seeing himself in serious political danger has picked a strategy he thinks will make him look more like the maverick elder stateman putting country first, which I agree is a crock of ****.

Hell, if either candidate really cared about the debates, they should insist that the third party candidates be included and given a chance. Neither large party ever will of course, because there debates are just more political theater during the campaign.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Ramo said should be "ashamed for blowing off"... meaning, he already blew it off. Not threatening to blow it off.

Comment

Ramo said should be "ashamed for blowing off"... meaning, he already blew it off. Not threatening to blow it off.
                              You really want to spend time arguing that?

Shame on Ramo for thinking McCain would stay true to his word, to be sure...but come on.

Comment

Well, because I disagree with the premise. Politicians shouldn't necessarily be ashamed for threatening to blow off a debate, cause its a political move. However, if everyone is standing around and ready to go (Obama is at his podium) and he doesn't show up, well that's wrong, and I'll call him out on that. And it makes him look horrible in the polling the next day/week/month.

Comment

Working...
                                X