X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Opens Up a 9-Point Lead

Poll: Economic Discontent Boosts Barack Obama Over John McCain
    Democrat Takes 52-43 Lead Among Likely Voters, Erases Republican's Post-Palin Pick Gains

Barack Obama has seized the reins of economic discontent, vaulting over John McCain's convention gains by persuading voters he both better understands their economic troubles and can better address them.

Fifty-three percent of registered voters in this new ABC News/Washington Post poll call the economy the single most important issue in the election, up 12 points in two weeks to an extraordinary level of agreement.

The public is cool to the bailout itself, underscoring economic uncertainty.

Eight in 10 are worried about the economy's future, half of them very worried. Personal concern runs high as well; six in 10 are worried about their family's finances. And 83 percent say the country's seriously off on the wrong track, back within a point of its record high -- set just this June -- in polls dating to early 1970s.

All these work for Obama.

He's recovered to a 14-point lead over McCain in trust to handle the economy, and leads by 13 points specifically in trust to deal with the meltdown of major financial institutions.

Obama leads by more, 24 points, 57-33 percent, in better understanding the public's economic problems.

Tellingly, after trailing by 17 points, he's pulled even with McCain in trust to handle a major crisis. And Obama holds wide margins in vote preference among likely voters most concerned about the economy.

More economic worry, plus an Obama lead among those who express it, spells a lead for the Democrat: In a head-to-head-match-up he's now supported by 52 percent of likely voters vs. McCain's 43 percent, the first significant advantage for either candidate among likely voters in ABC/Post polls.

Add third-party candidates Ralph Nader and Bob Barr and it's essentially the same, 51-43 percent.

Obama Takes Lead Amidst Economic Worries

The contest has shifted from a 49-47 percent McCain-Obama race immediately after the Republican convention.

McCain's bounce -- on individual issues and attributes as well as in overall preference -- is gone.

The immediate question for Obama: Whether he can hang on to his newfound gains through the first presidential debate Friday night.

Attention to the contest, meanwhile, is remarkable. Ninety-one percent of registered voters are following it closely, 55 percent "very" closely – both highs in ABC/Post polls dating to the 1988 presidential election.

We should really use multiple polls - others coming today:

Hotline/FD Tracking: Obama +6
    Rasmussen Tracking: Obama +2
    Gallup Tracking: Obama +3
    Fox News: Obama +6
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Which is exactly why McCain now wants the Friday debate postponed.
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
        Which is exactly why McCain now wants the Friday debate postponed.
        Um.. if anything, McCain shines in debates. The debates are how he pulled himself up from when he hit bottom in the Republican Primary.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Research 2K/DKos Tracking: Obama +4

That ABC/WaPo poll: Who will handle the Economic Crisis better?

Obama: 53 --- 44(Ind)
          McCain: 39 --- 37(Ind)
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I'm saying he wants to postpone the debate because he's taking a shellacking in the polls and wants to be seen as the one concerned about the economy.

Comment

I know they agreed long ago to a debate format that begins with Foreign Policy, but c'mon, address the Economic issues first.
              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

He also wants to look like he's taking action, like he's the president already, but he's not the president. McCain wants to keep a low profile right now because people look at him and see a banker.

Obama is going to **** this away I think though. He probably will agree to postpone the debate.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                  I'm saying he wants to postpone the debate because he's taking a shellacking in the polls and wants to be seen as the one concerned about the economy.
                  Back to Washington??? Right now the relief bill is in front of the Banking Committee; here's a LIST of the members on that Committee; and McCain is not there.

So, he going to sit around waiting for a final bill to be produced?

Comment

Also, something is wrong with McSame's appearance. He can't open one eye all the way. He wouldn't look very good in the debate like that.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      We should really use multiple polls - others coming today:

Hotline/FD Tracking: Obama +6
                      Rasmussen Tracking: Obama +2
                      Gallup Tracking: Obama +3
                      Fox News: Obama +6
                      Moral of the story is McCain is losing.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Back to Washington??? Right now the relief bill is in front of the Banking Committee; here's a LIST of the members on that Committee; and McCain is not there.

So, he going to sit around waiting for a final bill to be produced?
                        He's going to valiantly pretend like he's playing a role in fixing the economy. We all know he's going to sit in a room asking what's going on, and "are we there yet?"
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Asher: You have dual citizenship. Are you registered to vote in any state?

Comment

Nope. I don't do US votes.

Comment

Obama camp: "The Debate is on"

Also, McCain cancels Letterman appearance tonight and pulls campaign ads from website.

WTF is he doing?

Comment

Working...
                              X