Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Ukraine and where it comes from.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: What is Ukraine and where it comes from.

Originally posted by Saras

PLC was formed in 1569, G-V and Black Sea was owned by Grand Duchy of Lithuania alone

Another inhabitants of modern Ukraine were Cossacks: more or less Slavic people who fled feudal oppression of Polish, Tatar and Muscovite states and lived in anarcho-syndicalist communes.

like this one?

"The Lady of the Lake, clad in the purist shimmering Samite..."

I've wondered since I was young when this came out, what is Samite? Does it actually exist?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't take back the Crimea.
      Seriously, annexing large swaths of Eastern Europe is pretty much a pastime.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: What is Ukraine and where it comes from.

Originally posted by Lancer

"The Lady of the Lake, clad in the purist shimmering Samite..."

I've wondered since I was young when this came out, what is Samite? Does it actually exist?

Yes.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Thanks Snoopy. I guess I could have done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't take back the Crimea.
            We might have the assets here to determine if the Russians have hairy asses. Asher? MrFun? Comrad Snuggles? What say you?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: What is Ukraine and where it comes from.

Originally posted by Lancer

We might have the assets here to determine if the Russians have hairy asses. Asher? MrFun? Comrad Snuggles? What say you?
              They do.
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is Ukraine and where it comes from.

Originally posted by Starchild

They do.
                So, a very real threat to the Crimea, very revealing. Thanks Starchild.

Comment

Where have I said they had been a part of the Russian Empire? Also, why Hungary, why not Poland or Ukraine?
                  They've never been a part of Ukraine. They have always been a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire prior to the first world war, and even afterwards, they were a part of Czechoslovakia.

Historically, they have been considered part of the kingdom of Hungary like most of the Pannionian plain.

They have more in common with Poland, but they've never been under Polish control.

Rusyn is a Slavic language, they are Uniates like the Western Ukrainians, and so on...
                  No, they are Roman Catholics just like the Hungarians. The Western Ukrainians are uniate, but they are all on the Northeastern side of the Carpathians.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Re: What is Ukraine and where it comes from.

Originally posted by onodera
                    So, back to the story. About ten years after the war Khrushchev made a symbolic gift from the RSFSR to the UkSSR. Crimea. This didn't mean much from the practical viewpoint: both republics were parts of the USSR. This meant a lot after the union fell apart.
                    Just my two cents.
                    Khrushchev was an ethnic Ukranian. That happened in 1954. He gave Crimea to the Ukranian SSR to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the unification of Ukraine with Russia (1654, Bogdan Khmelnitsky).

Comment

Djugashveli was an ethnic Georgian. What does that mean?
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

He spoke about himself as "a Russian of Asian origin".
                        Last edited by Serb; August 31, 2008, 07:34.

Comment

Good. that means I can blame Russia for him
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

So wait. Who has pure race and who is mixed race? So who is our enemy again? I'm confused. Is Ukraine dirty or not? JUst a simple yes or no would be helpful.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

How similar are Ukrainian and Russian. Are they close enought that Russians and Ukrainians have little difficulty understanding each other or are they distinct languages like Portugese and Spanish?
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I believe they have little difficulty understanding each other, but that doesn't mean they aren't separate languages. As a Pole, I can understand 95% of Slovakian, 85% of Czech, 75% of belarusian, 66% of Ukrainian etc... Slavic languages aren't all that different.
                                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X