Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Ukraine and where it comes from.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised this hasn't come up:

I had never heard of the Rusyn until this thread, though I had heard about Ruthenians.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
      How similar are Ukrainian and Russian. Are they close enought that Russians and Ukrainians have little difficulty understanding each other or are they distinct languages like Portugese and Spanish?
      Like Dutch and German. The former looks funny if you know the latter. Also, it depends on where the person comes from. West Ukrainian is much harder to understand than Central Ukrainian, which is full of Russian loanwords. There's also Surzhik, which is basically Ukrainian grammar + Russian vocabulary.
      I can understand most of the Surzhik, and can get the general meaning of written Ukrainian, but understanding fluent spoken Ukrainian is beyond me,
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

and Poles, on the other hand, are more likely to understand western Ukrainian than eastern one... But literature ukrainian is based on central-eastern dialects, so it's going to be moving apart from polish.
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

There is one famous man of Rusyn descent: Andy Warhol.

Comment

Are they like, just Russians with strong feminist leanings, or are they simply illiterate?
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I remember reading many years ago, a interview to ukranian tennis player Medvedev (he los the french open final to Agassi in 1999) and he was in favour of rejoining russia, he even didn't think ukrainians existed or where different than russians.
                I need a foot massage

Comment

You know, there are 15 mln or so Russians in Ukraine... He may well have been one of them.
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                    I remember reading many years ago, a interview to ukranian tennis player Medvedev (he los the french open final to Agassi in 1999) and he was in favour of rejoining russia, he even didn't think ukrainians existed or where different than russians.
                    If he was a Ukrainian, he'd be called Vedmedenko.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera

Like Dutch and German. The former looks funny if you know the latter. Also, it depends on where the person comes from. West Ukrainian is much harder to understand than Central Ukrainian, which is full of Russian loanwords. There's also Surzhik, which is basically Ukrainian grammar + Russian vocabulary.
                      I can understand most of the Surzhik, and can get the general meaning of written Ukrainian, but understanding fluent spoken Ukrainian is beyond me,
                      A fluent spoken Ukrainian sounds funny, but it's still understadable. I don't mean "surzhik", but "derjavna mova".
                      When I was in Crimea last summer, I have little trouble with watching the local news and TV-shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                        How similar are Ukrainian and Russian.
                        Very similar. Though Ukranians did their best (esp. after collapse of the USSR and after the Oranges took power there) to make Ukranian language as less similar to Russian as possible.
                        Are they close enought that Russians and Ukrainians have little difficulty understanding each other or are they distinct languages like Portugese and Spanish?
                        I bet, norhtern and southern Italians or norhtern and southern Chinese have way more difficulties understanding each other than Russians and Ukraninans.

Comment

Oleg Luzhni
                          Dynamo Kiev

Comment

Annexing Crimea is OK. Maybe parts of Eastern Ukraine too.
                            money sqrt evil;
                            My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

Originally posted by muxec
                              Annexing Crimea is OK. Maybe parts of Eastern Ukraine too.

Comment

I like this map.

Comment

Working...
                                X