No announcement yet.

Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, but sometimes people are stupid. You are one of those people.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No, he's a DL. No one could possibly be THAT consistently stupid across so many subject matters in real life - not even a Texan!
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Just for you, motor mouth.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Pwned!
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

See what I mean about Texans...
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

When she broke the law, it was not unconstitutional. Plessy v Ferguson was the law of the land.

That's what I mean, you just don't pay attention to the facts.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Beat me to it, Che. Well done.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Plessy? Who cares about Plessy?

Brown vs the Board of Education overturned Plessy in 1954.

Parks was arrested in 1955.

That's what I mean, you just don't pay attention to the facts.
                  Facts are a funny thing.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Facts are indeed funny. I wasn't aware that Montgomery, Alabama had its school board run the buses back then. You learn something every day.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

So you don't believe Plessy was overturned by Brown?

Does that mean Plessy is still in force today?
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                        Plessy? Who cares about Plessy?

Brown vs the Board of Education overturned Plessy in 1954.

Parks was arrested in 1955.

Facts are a funny thing.
                        They are in your hands.

First, Brown desegregated only schools, not any other institutions. Second, and related, the question of whether separate sections of the bus were the same as separate schools was unsettled. Finally, Brown vs. Board called for the desegregation of schools "with all deliberate speed," which effectively meant that they could remain segregated for a while; if Brown was to be applied to other institutions (and, again, it's not obvious from the ruling that it could be), that proviso would also apply, meaning that Montgomery's segregated bus sections remained constitutional.

Parks wasn't protesting an unconstitutional law; she was protesting an unjust law.

Honestly, Ben, your ignorance and lack of critical reasoning skills are just bewildering.
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                          So you don't believe Plessy was overturned by Brown?

Does that mean Plessy is still in force today?
                          No -- but it meant that it was still in force in 1955, as it applied to buses. The court didn't rule segregated transportation unconstitutional until 1960, in Boyton (sp?) vs. VA.

History major, Ben? Really?

Comment

They are in your hands.
                            Rather novel theory that Brown vs the Board of Education did not repudiate Plessy vs Ferguson. How long did it take you to come up with that one?

Plessy stated that seperate but equal facilities did not violate the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment. Brown bundled 5 different cases together to make one landmark ruling stating that seperate but equal did in fact violate the equal protection clause, and that it was in fact unconstitutional.

The decision is very clear. The decision didn't just apply to schooling, it applied to segregation as a whole.

First, Brown desegregated only schools, not any other institutions.
                            False, it said that separate but equal facilities were in themselves a violation of the equal protection clause. Whereas the ruling applied specifically to schools, it was extended by the justices in an unanimous decision.

Second, and related, the question of whether separate sections of the bus were the same as separate schools was unsettled.
                            Unsettled by who? Certainly not the courts. The decision was clear and unanimous that seperate but equal was a violation of the equal protection clause. Maybe to you it was unsettled, but the justices who interpreted the constitution did not say that was so.

Finally, Brown vs. Board called for the desegregation of schools "with all deliberate speed," which effectively meant that they could remain segregated for a while;
                            First off, this was a different decision, not Brown vs the Board of education.

Secondly, that was the interpretation of the segregationists, not the Supreme Court. All deliberate speed is a synonym for asap, unless of course you were a segregationist. I didn't know you were one too Rufus.

Parks wasn't protesting an unconstitutional law; she was protesting an unjust law.
                            The law was both unconstitutional and unjust. If you read what she said and spoke and gave as reasoning for her position, you would see this. Same with Dr. King.

Are you unaware of his speeches?

No -- but it meant that it was still in force in 1955, as it applied to buses. The court didn't rule segregated transportation unconstitutional until 1960, in Boyton (sp?) vs. VA.
                            Seems to me if you know the case well enough to cite it you ought to be able to spell the darn thing.

You want to know what I think? You are scrambling to find an answer. I expected someone to raise Plessy, being unaware that the bus boycotts happened after Brown. That's the order things went. Brown tore apart Plessy, and the boycotts were inspired by Brown.

Since we are showing our credentials here, what are yours Rufus?

Comment

Brown bundled 5 different cases together to make one landmark ruling stating that seperate but equal did in fact violate the equal protection clause, and that it was in fact unconstitutional.

Brown bundled 5 EDUCATION cases together (Biggs v. Elliot, Davis v. County School Board of Prince Edward County, Gebhart v. Belton, and Bolling v. Sharpe with Brown itself).

False, it said that separate but equal facilities were in themselves a violation of the equal protection clause. Whereas the ruling applied specifically to schools, it was extended by the justices in an unanimous decision.

While it was extended easily, they quite clearly confined Brown v. Board of Education to school segregation.

We conclude that in the field of public education the doctrine of "separate but equal" has no place. Separate educational facilities are inherently unequal. Therefore, we hold that the plaintiffs and others similarly situated for whom the actions have been brought are, by reason of the segregation complained of, deprived of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment.

You may argue that this set the stage, but Warren was quite careful to keep referring to this as JUST dealing with schools.

Seems to me if you know the case well enough to cite it you ought to be able to spell the darn thing.

He's trying to remember the spelling off his head, you *******.

And he was close: Boynton v. Virginia

Since we are showing our credentials here, what are yours Rufus?

Forget Rufus's, I'm a lawyer.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

He's trying to remember the spelling off his head, you *******.
                                Honestly, Ben, your ignorance and lack of critical reasoning skills are just bewildering.
                                And he's a saint? He gives me ****, I'll give him ****.

He shows me some consideration, and he'll get a kind response.

I don't see why I should be obligated to put up with 3 against one, and have all of yall whining when you are asked to put the goods up.

And he was close: Boynton v. Virginia
                                Then he can take the time to get it right.

Boynton btw, doesn't have anything to do with the city busses in Montgomery Alabama, since they appeal to interstate commerce.

But of course you knew that which is why it appeared in your post.

Forget Rufus's, I'm a lawyer.
                                I don't care about yours, wasn't asking you.

If Rufus wants to piss all over other posters for the sake of pissing all over them then he can stand up for himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X