X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again...

Arrest made in Phoenix community college shooting

By JACQUES BILLEAUD and CHRIS KAHN – 47 minutes ago

PHOENIX (AP) — A man shot three people Thursday in a computer room at a Phoenix community college, injuring two of them critically, authorities said. The gunman fled but a suspect was arrested nearby.

A witness said the shooter had been fighting with another man in a computer building at South Mountain Community College. The gunman seemed to be directing his shots and not firing randomly, said student Yessenia Lara, 18.

"I saw someone get punched and then I heard three shots after that. Everybody basically ducked, and the shooter got away," Lara said, adding that the victims were yelling in pain.

The suspect was arrested at a home about three to four miles away, Phoenix police spokesman Ruben Gonzales said. He had no details on the shootings or the arrest.

The suspect's identity wasn't released.

A 25-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman were in critical condition, while a 17-year-old boy was in stable condition, said Mark Faulkner, a division chief for the Phoenix Fire Department. No other information on their injuries was available.

The victims were taken to a county hospital, Faulkner said.

College spokesman Robert Pryce said the school was in lockdown for about an hour, meaning doors were locked and people weren't able to come in or out.

An electronic sign outside the school said all classes were canceled Thursday and students could be seen leaving the campus calmly after the lockdown. Pryce said the campus would be closed on Friday, which is typical during the summer.

Situated at the base of Phoenix's South Mountain, the college has more than 8,000 students. Most students are seeking associate degrees and certificates of completion.

"I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

At least we haven't seen anything the scale of VT.

Comment

I hope genetics will someday be able to determine who among us will have the potential to go nuts like that. Of course, that would label someone as dangerous who has commited no crime...

Hmm.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I was in charge of a computer room where someone brought a gun in. He wasn't showing it, but it was in his belt. Another student came up and told me. I played it off like it was no big deal, but as soon as the student walked away, I called security. The police came up and removed the person, who wasn't a student, but appeared to be stalking one of our students.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
          I hope genetics will someday be able to determine who among us will have the potential to go nuts like that.
          So, what will you do with the 1% of people that don't have that potential?
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Anyone taking bets on this campus being a "gun-free" zone?
            -rmsharpe

Comment

As if that means anything.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

So, what will you do with the 1% of people that don't have that potential?
                I don't believe that 99% of people have the potential to walk into a room and shoot people, that's absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                  I don't believe that 99% of people have the potential to walk into a room and shoot people, that's absurd.
                  You said genetic testing. I think all of us, raised under the right conditions, have the capacity to do something like that.

Comment

I see your point, environmental conditions driving someone who would otherwise be sane to be a potential killer. Still, I doubt it would be 99%, but who knows. We are in the realm of opinion.

Comment

Oh, me! Call on me!
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I was in charge of a computer room where someone brought a gun in. He wasn't showing it, but it was in his belt. Another student came up and told me. I played it off like it was no big deal, but as soon as the student walked away, I called security. The police came up and removed the person, who wasn't a student, but appeared to be stalking one of our students.
                        Lesson learned. All people with guns on campus are evil stalkers, and you should rat on them to get their guns confiscated.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          As if that means anything.
                          It means law-abiding, responsible citizens can be penalized/expelled for protecting themselves on public property under the United States Constitution.
                          -rmsharpe

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Lesson learned. All people with guns on campus are evil stalkers, and you should rat on them to get their guns confiscated.
                            You ARE learning!
                            The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Originally posted by rmsharpe
                              You raise a valid point -- not enough is being done to stop gun ownership.

Automatic life sentences (death penalty in Texas) should do the trick.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X