Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

You are very perceptive NYE.

I have always felt some degree of alienation, growing up in Northern BC. I felt that there was some hope for Canada when I was younger in the Reform Party. I was one of the folks who was saying that the West wants in to their fair share of representation. I believed very strongly that the West ought to be more representative, but even then my loyalty was more to the concept of the West then to my own province, or to Canada as a whole. I didn't have much in common with the powers that be in Vancouver or Victoria, much more with Calgary and Edmonton.
    OK, but the West is part of what? A larger country. We've always ruled ourselves in a Parliament. Yes, there could be greater protection for regions in a better Senate as part of that Parliament, but the fundamental rule is still representation by population. The bigger fish will make most of the rules.

If what you wanted is independence, that's a different matter. However, BC and Alberta becoming the 51st and 52nd states will not end up in some Nirvana of home rule by becoming American.

The last 5 years have been disastrous ones if you sincerely believe in the preservation of canadian heritage. However you are very right that recent events are colouring my perception.
    I don't agree.

I suspect you may refer to issues that may be important religiously. Forgive me for not sharing the concern.

If anything, I am seeing a country that is maturing. A federal minority government led by malcontents from Alberta is surviving despite the enmity that is palpable emanating from certain quarters of central Canada.

If you want I'll send you a pm.
    You can if you wish, but I would prefer to air our laundry here for the benefit of others.

Different crowds. Let me put it this way. Support for annexation would be higher in Alberta then anywhere else.
    Considering there is next to zero support for annexation, that isn't saying much.

I'd say zero, but that's a large number given the scale. Suffice to say I have never, in over 40 years of living here, heard anyone say they could not wait for Alberta to be the next state or territory.

Another thing you should take into account when you talk about the patch, Ben, is that many of the people working in the patch are from places other than Alberta.

Now, that is not to say that Albertans could not go wildcat on Canada. Repeat the NEP and we'd have another situation entirely. It's one thing to argue with your brothers. It's another thing entirely to have them move in and try to take over your house.

I don't see much of a choice. We have already lost so much of our heritage, and what made us Canadian. The choice is not between fighting to preserve our heritage, but to keep the scraps that are left or to leave and go elsewhere.
    You'll have to explain. I don;t see what you are on about outside of a religious view.

Good question. Maybe you should start by asking why I feel there is more future in the US. The US is very strong with their states, so Alberta would gain more control over their economy without the burdens placed on by Canada. They wouldn't be saddled by the large federal debt, and they would have access to an enormous amount of investment.
    We have more control over education, development, resources, and a good number of other things than we ever could dream of as a state.

You may not be aware, but Confederation gives massive amounts of control to the provinces over their own domains.

Damn, you are making me feel all dirty. There may be better things than the current balance of power in Canada, but being a state is certainly not a positive in that scale.

Well I cannot see any reason to raise arms against the Americans. What would I be defending here in Canada? Is the sole reason why Canada is superior is because they support a war that I think is wrong?!
    I think you should get your cert and move to Texas to be a teacher. Honestly, and without malice. It sounds like you would be happier there, and I don't begrudge you for that.

And it isn't that Canada is superior. It's that we govern ourselves the way we want to be governed. If some ***** from somewhere else wants to bring guns and try to invade us, **** them. **** their mothers. and **** the horse they rode in on. If someone wants a fight, come and get some.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Repeat the NEP and we'd have another situation entirely. It's one thing to argue with your brothers. It's another thing entirely to have them move in and try to take over your house.
      Honest Ed is working on that from within.

Just as we have a government that feels a 7 percent tax on everything is a good thing to fund carbon credits. It was just introduced.

I think you should get your cert and move to Texas to be a teacher. Honestly, and without malice. It sounds like you would be happier there, and I don't begrudge you for that.
      I feel I would be, but that takes time and money. I got the former but not the latter.

Thank you for your reply NYE. You are one of the good people here and I have always thought so.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
      X