Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it too early to talk of V.P. choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    No, McCain shouldn't appoint Romney as his veep... it'd get him into even more trouble with the evangelical bloc.

And you're saying McCain shouldn't appoint a Mormon as his VP just because some people are prejudiced against them?

Barack Obama better not run at all then.
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• I realize you are a Mormon, but the vast majority of evangelicals don't like him. Just because a few do, that doesn't invalidate the point.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I realize you are a Mormon, but the vast majority of evangelicals don't like him. Just because a few do, that doesn't invalidate the point.
        How do you know that "the vast majority of evangelicals" don't like him because of his faith? I think people are better than that.

Though this guy thinks...

"God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• Four successful assassinations in 150 years, the last being almost 45 years ago. Last attempt was on Reagan. I'd say we're about due.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander I
            How do you know that "the vast majority of evangelicals" don't like him because of his faith? I think people are better than that.
            Read the article I linked to in the Primary thread. Identified Christians did not come out for Romney.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Read the article I linked to in the Primary thread. Identified Christians did not come out for Romney.
              I didn't say that they did. I think many evangelicals voted for Huckabee rather than against Romney. Besides, Romney still managed to accrue 4 mil. votes, and McCain only got .7 mil. more than that. Some people obviously didn't have a problem voting Romney.

Comment

Though this guy thinks...
                They aren't better. Romney election means that the GOP is no longer a Christian party.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                  They aren't better. Romney election means that the GOP is no longer a Christian party.
                  Boo hoo. I'm sure John McCain will represent their conservative social values very well. Oh, wait...
                  And if for some reason he nominated Lieberman as his VP... Gasp! A Jew?!

Comment

Boo hoo. I'm sure John McCain will represent their conservative social values very well. Oh, wait...
                    Actually he will. He's ardently pro-life after all.

Comment

• The point, Alex, is that if McCain wants to garner more Republican votes in the general election, Romney isn't the right choice, because a large percentage of the Republican voters who have not been supporting McCain also won't support Romney. Further, I don't think Romney would have much draw with independants (though I haven't looked at poll data to confirm that).

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                        The point, Alex, is that if McCain wants to garner more Republican votes in the general election, Romney isn't the right choice, because a large percentage of the Republican voters who have not been supporting McCain also won't support Romney. Further, I don't think Romney would have much draw with independants (though I haven't looked at poll data to confirm that).

-Arrian
                        I respectfully disagree. Romney would draw more than Huckabee would -- the Huckster appeals only to evangelicals, fiscal conservatives loathe him.

Also, on a side point...

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Four successful assassinations in 150 years, the last being almost 45 years ago. Last attempt was on Reagan. I'd say we're about due.
                          WTF, Sloww?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I respectfully disagree. Romney would draw more than Huckabee would -- the Huckster appeals only to evangelicals, fiscal conservatives loathe him.

Also, on a side point...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080208/...epublican_race
                            Fair point about the fiscals. I still don't see it.

-Arrian

Comment

Fair point about the fiscals. I still don't see it.
                              I think a fair example of conservative attitudes can be measured from the reactions of the CPAC.

When Romney announced that he was dropping out, people there moaned and shouted "No! No!"

When John McCain tried to win their support for his immigration plan (amnesty lite) he actually got booed! And he'll be their nominee.

Evangelicals have marginalized themselves by backing Huckabee alone. There has to be a coalition of conservatives in order to unify the GOP. McCain did it with military conservatives, moderates, independents, and maybe a few conservative democrats. Romney brings the fiscal conservatives, Mormons, and many social conservatives to the table. Huckabee just brings his chunk of devoted evangelicals. McCain doesn't need the evangelicals if he gets everyone else. And I think he'd like it better that way. I'm sure you've heard the choice words he's had for many of their religious leaders.

Comment

WTF, Sloww?

-Arrian
                                Just doing the math.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X