Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you think will be the next President of the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zkribbler
    Two reasons:

First, women went from 3% in favor of Obama in the day-before poll to 14% in favor of Clinton in the exit poll.

My best guess is that: (1) women were swayed somewhat by Hillary's emotional statement, which made her seem more human, and (2) when they got right down to voting, they felt compelled to vote for the 1st woman who has a viable chance to win the Presidency.

Second, Obama is strong with younger voters, who are infamous for not showing up to vote. In Iowa they did show up; in New Hampshire, they didn't.
    Both good guesses, but you could add a third: the general surge of Obama support measured in the weekend poll consisted of a lot of undecideds who made a snap decision to vote Obama after Iowa, but had reconsidered their decisions by Tuesday.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
      Everyone's reporting that Hillary took voters over 30 and women. That itself is good-news/bad-news for a general election: voting skews old, but it also skews male.
      However, if there is a chance to elect a female President for the first time in history, I think that the voting may skew a bit less male, and maybe even more female than male.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

However, if there is a chance to elect a female President for the first time in history, I think that the voting may skew a bit less male, and maybe even more female than male.
        Here's hoping.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

• Women already are a majority in the general election, but only narrowly.

Theirs a BIG difference in Hillary getting women voters in the primaries, these are Democratic and left of center leaning independents and they are being contested in a vote that just says "I want that person to run in the general election", when the rubber hits the road in the general election your voting to make that person the POTUS.

Think of the math in the general election, Hillary would lose the male vote 2:1 as every republican and many independents would vote against here especially if McCain is the Rep nominee. Thus to win she must win women 2:1 which means EVERY single woman in the center would have to vote for her, that simply is not possible. If their had been any doubt to her un-electability the fact that she must fight for the votes of women in her own party should have put it to rest.

Don't get me wrong I'd vote for Lenin's corpse if it was the Democratic nominee or even Hillary if necessary but I want a nominee that has a real chance to win.
          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• Tell me more about this Lenin's corpse option, Impaler. I like the sound of him.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Think of the math in the general election, Hillary would lose the male vote 2:1

I'm doubting the number shake out that way for male voters.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I possible answer to the NH upset - Early mail in ballots sent in before Iowa favored Hillary, this is just a comment I read on a Blog, I've tried to do some research to verify it but cant find anything. Anyone else want to try to verify it? Honestly it seems like it would be far to obvious a statistic for the pollsters to have over-looked but given the media now a days.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• Bush 55% Kerry 44% back in 2004, an 11% movement of that is a lot and we would expert the Democrats to do better this time around but its certainly possibly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                    I'd vote for Lenin's corpse if it was the Democratic nominee
                    I'm afraid he'd stand no chance against Zombie Reagan.

Comment

• grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• This electioin has the most shameful actions of the media in any election I can recall. Each election year they "annoit" the canidates earlier and earlier.

Comment

• Why do people think Hillary is unattractive? If my wife looks like that at 60, I would be pretty happy.
                          The problem is she looked like that for the previous 60 years.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• From the Republican point of view this election offers a win-win situation. If the Democrats win, whether the elected is the first female president in history or the first black president in history the Republicans come out looking good for 2012 because the winner is going to have to deal with two steaming piles of "mess". First, no matter how the next president handles Iraq he or she is almost certainly bound to come out soiled. When we leave Iraq is going to crumble, and the next President will get the blame. Second, we've got a massive debt, a debt sufficiently large enough to keep the next President from trying any fancy new social programs. I used to joke about this, but now I'm utterly certain that it's done on purpose. Cutting the budget enough to balance it is not going to be popular, particularly when we may be headed for a recession.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Any thoughts on Romney's Michigan comeback (besides how mangled the GOP race appears to be)?
                              The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                              "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                              "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                              The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• Biggest thing about Rommey's win in Michigan is the way it happened. The Michigan Democratic Party actually made a plea to Michigan Democrats to not vote in the Republican primary and actrually vote in the Democtatic one. Thus McCain was denied the support from Democrats most political observers thought he get to win it.

On the Democratic side, Hillary has a problem now. Polls indicate that she only got a quarter of the black vote in Michigan. Uncommitted, read Obama, got 75%. She has a week and a half to turn around the black vote or South Carolina may be the first real nail in her coffin.
                                "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Working...
                                X