Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fortress Europe (the reality)

Originally posted by Heraclitus
    Hi all, I have a little question to my fellow Europeans.

What should we do about illegal immigration into our respective countries?
    Originally posted by Jon Miller
    and I still say, immigration is good thing

JM
    I agree with Jon.

The problem in Europe is that we basically see ALL immigration as a bad thing, especially if they are brownish.
    If we would judge them with more respect, we might even go and have fair trade with them. That (and I mean both import tariffs as well as export subsedies here) would probably keep away half of the immigrants anyway.

The most baffling thing IMO is that in the discussions on immigration (at least in Holland) there appear to be three categories:
    1) political asylum seekers. They can enter, no problem. (well, theoratically)
    2) the 'good fellas'. That's the bright brownies who basically can fill the gaps left by the absence of sufficient bright Homies. Any whitey falls automatically in this category.
    3) the 'luck-seekers' (phonetical translation): anybody else who basically risks life and limb to seek the best opportunaty available. For some reason it's a crime to do that. They are prosecuted with every means available by the prosperous Europeans. Who individually might still (illegally!) hire them to clean the house and renovate their appartment. There is a reason they come over here you know! (and no, they don't come because there are no nice virgins to rape in their own back of the woods)
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

they don't come because there are no nice virgins to rape in their own back of the woods

All the virgins have been promised to the martyrs
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Re: Fortress Europe (the reality)

Originally posted by germanos

The problem in Europe is that we basically see ALL immigration as a bad thing, especially if they are brownish.
        I doubt that is the case so generally.
        Blah

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Fortress Europe (the reality)

Originally posted by BeBro

I doubt that is the case so generally.
          I agree with BeBro.
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

In principle I support the concept of freedom of labour. In practice there must realistically be limits on the rate at which migration occurs.

It's also worth saying that the person in the comfortably secure and well-off job who faces no competition from new arrivals will find it easier to take the moral high ground with regard to a warm welcome than someone who is poor, struggling, and facing genuine competition for their livelihood. Perhaps the rich, comfy person is benefitting from the extra competition and lower wages with increased profits and bonus payments.

So when comfy middle-class people despair at what they consider to be the 'xenophobia' of some of the lower-orders, they might remember that it is not they who may have to fear losing their jobs and homes.

Another attempt to take the high ground is accusing those nervous about immigration of racism against brown people. In my country there may actually be brown as well as white people who are fearing the white, slavic new arrivals competing for jobs and homes

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Fortress Europe (the reality)

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Croatia are teh experts in getting rid of foreigners. :OperationStorm:
              Nope, those were natives of some 400 years :Iraq:

Comment

Anyway most of our border's at sea ...
                Most? Most?

Comment

Perhaps we could finance the construction of factories in North Africa... we would have to lower some of our standards concerning human rights and labor rules, but these factories together with laxer immigration laws in those countries could take some pressure off us and they would experience some economic growth because of it...
                  Won't work. Didn't work for Ali when he tried, won't work now. William Easterly makes a more convincing case than does Jeffrey Sachs.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                    i can expand a little on that.

in very simple terms the solution in africa is economic development, but there are two major problems in this regard.

1) the lack of ability in the africans themselves.
                    :James Watson:

Comment

Originally posted by onodera Take a look at Zimbabwe. It was a successful agricultural country when ruled by Europeans, but now it is an awful place. Actually, I should write a separate post about Africa.
                      Go ahaid. I'm interested in seeing a defense of neo-colonialism.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                        Also, you could try recolonizing Africa. Take a look at Zimbabwe. It was a successful agricultural country when ruled by Europeans, but now it is an awful place. Actually, I should write a separate post about Africa.
                        Are you going to do this personally? If you do please bring a TV camera with you, because I want to see Robert Mugabe's face when you make this proposal to him.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fortress Europe (the reality)

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          Nope, those were natives of some 400 years
                          Indeed. And very good of you to acknowledge that point, sir.

Comment

In UK speak this would be the glorious victory and victory of good vs evil :firebombingofDresden: ...
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                              In UK speak this would be the glorious victory and victory of good vs evil :firebombingofDresden: ...
                              I am not one to approve of all the actions of my state. Including Dresden. And other campaigns. I am quite the heretic, in fact.

Comment

Working...
                              X