No announcement yet.

Fortress Europe (the reality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW It may be hard to convince African countries to enter development plans proposed by some EU members (like France or Britain), especially because of our colonial past or the sheer economical advantages like the large German economy would have.
    Even if such institutions would be directed by countries like Finland or Switzerland there would still be some resentment and accusations of neo-colonialism.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
      Anyway you guys do seem to complain a lot, a whole lot. Latinos aren't that culturally different from you, so ehh why the whining.

It’s not like they’re costing you jobs, you outsource those and who would want to be a maid anyway… :
      But... they're brown! *shudder*

And they speak some form of weird gibberish that isn't American.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

EU is not a country

And we know humanitarian aid isn't just going to cut it. Throwing more money at it won't cut it either. So I guess what would be needed is all kinds of changes in rules and regulations as to help their businesses, but also all kinds of education and support, with the money of course.

Give a strong effort, a good care package with instructiosn and help given, hold the hands if you have to. After that? It really would be all we can do realistically so ... because if you would settle down some scores there, the bush wars and so forth, you'd have to take out some militias/tribes/clans and whatnot. I don't think EU is commited to that, plus it would have tons of problems as well outside "it's doable".

What I think is not waste anymore money, but give real resources, tools and help for some time. Sending some tents and water pumps doesn't do anything, and neither does giving money so most people can have some food at some point.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

But... they're brown! *shudder*

And they speak some form of weird gibberish that isn't American.
          And that comes from one who claims to be hungarian
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

American immigration policy is a conspiracy against the American public. It's not a flaw in the design of the American republic, it's a feature.

Comment

go to Sudan and open a call centre - that would help

outsourcing is the cure

we will create higher value jobs, and they will get jobs too, so no need to migrate for them, and we all win, like China and India are winning...

the only requirement needed is to let us set up a call centre there
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Re: Fortress Europe (the reality)

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                Hi all, I have a little question to my fellow Europeans.

What should we do about illegal immigration into our respective countries?
                So, you show your true colors finally my Slovenian neighbour! There are like 10 foreigners in Slovenia and you are busy thinking how to get rid of them

Didn't you say you were an internationalist or something anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                  EU is not a country

And we know humanitarian aid isn't just going to cut it. Throwing more money at it won't cut it either. So I guess what would be needed is all kinds of changes in rules and regulations as to help their businesses, but also all kinds of education and support, with the money of course.

Give a strong effort, a good care package with instructiosn and help given, hold the hands if you have to. After that? It really would be all we can do realistically so ... because if you would settle down some scores there, the bush wars and so forth, you'd have to take out some militias/tribes/clans and whatnot. I don't think EU is commited to that, plus it would have tons of problems as well outside "it's doable".

What I think is not waste anymore money, but give real resources, tools and help for some time. Sending some tents and water pumps doesn't do anything, and neither does giving money so most people can have some food at some point.
                  That’s more or less what I was thinking...

And if we are a bit pragmatic we don’t have to fix the whole of Africa and the Middle East, we just need to fix the countries close to us. Anyway if the economy is doing good and there is at least a semblance of a stable government things should be ok for at least a while despite tribal and ethnic differences. But if things go bad, we could force a bit of change into the AU and turn them into at least the guy who writes parking tickets if we can’t make him the policeman.

Anyway this would require a united European diplomatic effort* otherwise we’d never get past the the other powers with interests in Africa…

BTW I said the EU is giving more than any other country, I phrased that awkwardly. I meant to say that the EU gives more humanitarian aid than any country. I didn’t mean to imply it was one.

Last edited by Heraclitus; November 14, 2007, 18:41.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Of course EU doesn't have to help. But the illegals won't stop flooding in unless their situation gets a lot better so... I just see that as something that woudl work, then again, "fix Africa" for example is not very easy or maybe it isn't even feasible. But that's the only way to stop illegal immigration IMO, because it's impossible to stop the people from coming or trying to come.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

It is very easy to stop people from coming if there is political will to do so.

Comment

Re: Re: Fortress Europe (the reality)

Originally posted by VetLegion
                        There are like 10 foreigners in Slovenia and you are busy thinking how to get rid of them
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Re: Fortress Europe (the reality)

Originally posted by VetLegion

So, you show your true colors finally my Slovenian neighbour! There are like 10 foreigners in Slovenia and you are busy thinking how to get rid of them

Didn't you say you were an internationalist or something anyway?
                          You must have misunderstood my question, I meant the whole of Europe not Slovenia…

And yes I am an internationalist, that’s why I mostly don't mind people from countries with democratic governments and values or those that come from regions with culture not too different form our European one.

BTW Croatians assimilate quite nicely.

Comment

Also, there's a problem with this anyway, I mean I realize the problems of illegal immigration, it's just starting to show in Europe, however, I couldn't stop people in desperate condition trying to come. The most who just don't have any realistic choices... I mean I couldn't say to them that this is something you shouldn't try to do. Of course they should try and try to have a better life and opportunities. So there's a dilemma right there as well.

It's a completely other issue what kind of services they'd be entitled to. I think they should be entitled to some very basic services, so they are healthy and not in some kind of inhumane camps either, but other than that? Not much else really. A chance to enter ... maybe rules like free teaching of the language and some kind of basic stuff and if they try it, they could be eligible for some kind of jobs and income with organizations that would have work for these folks.

I don't know. But we can't stop them from coming really, and we can't just let them starve to death while they're here.
                            In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                              Of course EU doesn't have to help. But the illegals won't stop flooding in unless their situation gets a lot better so... I just see that as something that woudl work, then again, "fix Africa" for example is not very easy or maybe it isn't even feasible. But that's the only way to stop illegal immigration IMO, because it's impossible to stop the people from coming or trying to come.
                              Ehh, did you read the entire post? I'm just saying we should fix nearby countries, fixing the whole of Africa is next to impossible.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Fortress Europe (the reality)

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

There are a little fewer than 150,000 foreign immigrants and their descendants in Slovenia (which has a population of 2 million and one of the lowest birth rates in Europe). But I don’t mind them since they’re mostly Europeans, even most of the 40,000 Muslims are. Bosnian Islam is mostly ok, and compatible with democracy. There ere a few social issues since many of them are lower class… but it’s nothing as serious as what the French are dealing with.

Vetlegion’s comments aren’t funny in the way you think they are.
                                Last edited by Heraclitus; November 14, 2007, 19:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X