No announcement yet.

Toronto is ridiculously stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other thing to add in here, in an effort to be the Centre of the Universe, Toronto forgo world standards in track gauges and opted for a unique track gauge. Making adding new streetcars extremely expensive, as they all need to be heavily customized specifically for Toronto's unique tracks.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Seconded.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        Elevated monorails cost 1/10 as much as subways and can be built 10 times faster. Let's face it: It's easier to tunnel through air than ground.

Monorails, unlike street cars and other light rail systems don't screw up traffic because they travel above it. Conversely, traffic doesn't hold up monorails because...yeah...monorails travel above it.
        You should ask yourself why monorails aren't used seriously anyplace.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Stations are expensive because they're elevated (but nowhere near as expensive as subway stations).

There's concerns about elevated switching tracks (which IMHO has just not been thought through).

Historically, they've been loud, with metal wheels on metal tracks. But newer models use rubber wheels on concrete tracks.

--Why not use monorails??

(And don't quote to me the price of the Las Vegas mororail. That was built in the most expensive manner possible. )

Comment

It's interesting to note that a new monorail spur to LV's airport is expected to cost $125 million per mile (stations inclusive). That's not much less than the $190 million per mile (stations inclusive) for the above-ground Silver Line for Washington Metrorail to Dulles Airport. And Metrorail is a much more robust system.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Jesus, Tingkai, this is like arguing with Paitkis when he was still around - at a certain point you start to feel like you're picking on a retarded child and start to get ashamed.

I noticed you didn't mention anything about what you actually know about urban planning. That's fine, I have a pretty good idea - you're left wing and love Toronto, therefore you've heard of and worship Jane Jacobs. Next, you trot out information about Toronto being considered a livable city as if that somehow was equivalent to having good planning, which if you actually knew anything about the subject, you would know is totally incorrect. Do you want to go through the litany of examples of terrible urban planning in Toronto, from the Gardiner Expressway to the truncated Spadina Expressway (and it's accompanying metro expressway plan) to Queens Quay to the vacant port lands to the Sheppard subway line to the Golden Mile to City Place to the too-numerous-to-mention concrete slab apartment blocks to the razing of much of Cabbagetown to St. Jamestown to the upcoming development of Queen West? Are you familiar with the Ontario Municiple Board and how they operate?
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                It's interesting to note that a new monorail spur to LV's airport is expected to cost $125 million per mile (stations inclusive).
                What part of "don't quote to me the price of the Las Vegas mororail" didn't you understand?!?

The biggest variable in the cost of monorail systems is the stations. Las Vegas build lot of luxurious stations close together. So they got whapped.

Most monorail systems cost $25-50 million/mile. There's one in England that cost $6 million/mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                  What part of "don't quote to me the price of the Las Vegas mororail" didn't you understand?!?
                  Did I tell you about the last time I visited LV? I thought I would try to take the monorail at Bally's, but it took about 20 minutes to walk to the station from the strip, and they wanted $5 for a trip.

Compare to Washington Metrorail subway (underground), which goes for $1.35 per trip.

Comment

Asher: If you don't like Toronto then leave. Seriously. No job is worth it if you have to live in a city you hate. You're not stupid. You should be able to get a job you like in a city you can enjoy. Either that, or try to have an open mind and go explore your new city.

As for your crazy theory, it falls to pieces because of a simple fact: streetcars have a much larger capacity than buses. That makes streetcars more efficient on high density routes.

Originally posted by Asher
                    It's got 2 frickin subway lines, unreliable and air-condition-less streetcars, and stops running before the bars close (1:30am). Best transit systems?
                    How long have you live in Toronto? There are three subway lines, four if you count the Scarborough RT. And dedicated street car lines are being created because its cheaper than subway lines.

The streetcars are being upgraded to put back A/C.

There are 24-hour buses/streetcars on major routes.

The average wait for a bus/streetcar/subway is usually less than five minutes on major routes, compared to 20 minutes in cities like Calgary.

Busses can operate in dedicated lanes, busses can easily match or exceed the capacity of the Toronto streetcars,
                    Wrong. Look at the link you posted. For charter tours, buses can have 65, street cars can have up to 100, and that's not full capacity.

So no, buses do not exceed the capacity of streetcars.

Or look at this link that shows the difference in capacity. It looks at the number of cars that a TTC vehicle replaces:
                    Bus: 45
                    CLRV (short streetcar): 60
                    ALRV (extended streetcar: 90

So the streetcars have between 30 to 100% more capacity.

Here's more proof:
                    Wiki says the extended street cars can hold 155 people, regular street cars hold 130 max.

Meanwhile extended diesel buses carry a max of 121 people
                    The Regular diesel buses carry between 50 to 90

So repeat after me: street cars have much larger capacity than buses.

Or do we need to change the topic title to: Why can't calgarians count.

and busses can run on electricity as well. This matches the "benefits" of the streetcar with the added bonus of not being blocked by obstructions, which happens more often than you think (as someone who takes it daily).
                    You live in a real city now. Yes, there are traffic jams. It affects buses, trolleys and street cars. Traffic accidents routinely disrupt transit service, even routes on dedicated bus lines.

As for trolleys, again, they don't match the capacity of streetcars, although trolleys are better in downtown areas compared to buses and are effective for medium density routes that can justify having a streetcar.

BS. The Toronto screetcars are the size of busses.
                    Wrong again.

TTC buses like the Orions are 40 feet in length or less. The CLRC's are 50 feet long. The ALRVs are 75 feet long.

Who cares if there are obstacles? It's not like it happens every day when the empty streetcars queue up while the full ones get even more full.
                    Buddy, all forms of transit face obstacles. Yes, buses, streetcars and subways get packed during rush hour. And yes, sometimes if you avoid the packed bus, the one right behind it will be empty. That's just how it works in a city that has a busy transit system.

Who cares if people get hurt by the tracks?
                    Come on. You know as well as I do that you have as much chance of getting hurt from the street car track as you would from street curb. It's a lame ass argument. I'm surprised you keep using it.

• Electric busses are not economically feasible!
                  I never said that. In fact, I said Toronto needs to get trolleys back, and a lot of them.

The simple fact is that streetcars can move a lot more people per vehicle, using less energy and at a faster pace than buses and trolleys.

Asher, you've been totally pwnd.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                    How long have you live in Toronto? There are three subway lines, four if you count the Scarborough RT.
                    The 4/5-station route I didn't include because no one uses it...

The streetcars are being upgraded to put back A/C.
                    Only some. By 2012 we'll have the rest of the new ones.

There are 24-hour buses/streetcars on major routes.
                    You don't consider Bloor street a major route?

The average wait for a bus/streetcar/subway is usually less than five minutes on major routes, compared to 20 minutes in cities like Calgary.
                    Clearly this has nothing to do with population density. Desperate argument...

Wrong. Look at the link you posted. For charter tours, buses can have 65, street cars can have up to 100, and that's not full capacity.

So no, buses do not exceed the capacity of streetcars.
                    What??

You're comparing regular busses to regular streetcars AND extended streetcars.

Toronto doesn't have extended busses, but that doesn't mean they don't exist...

You live in a real city now. Yes, there are traffic jams. It affects buses, trolleys and street cars. Traffic accidents routinely disrupt transit service, even routes on dedicated bus lines.
                    All the more reason not to restrict busses/streetcars to physical tracks.

Wrong again.

TTC buses like the Orions are 40 feet in length or less. The CLRC's are 50 feet long. The ALRVs are 75 feet long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Bus_Industries
                    Dude! There are more busses in the world than those used by the TTC today. You damn Torontonians are so self-centric it's nauseating.

Asher, you've been totally pwnd.
                    You've done absolutely nothing to disprove anything. Everyone, quite literally everyone, viewing this thread shows that you've been owned and you lack the intelligence to see that.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Asher: All your arguments have been proven wrong.

Let's recap your mistakes

Buses are the same size as streetcars: wrong
                      Buses carry more people than streetcars: wrong
                      Toronto has two subway lines: wrong
                      Bloor Street doesn't have an all-night bus: wrong (Route 300)
                      Steetcar tracks are dangerous: wrong
                      Steetcars don't have air con: wrong
                      People in wheelchairs can't use streetcars: wrong
                      Toronto doesn't have extended buses: wrong
                      Streetcars can only carry 65 people: wrong
                      Almost every city is getting rid of streetcars: wrong

We need to change the thread title to: Asher is stupid.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

@Tingkai

The only problem is: Asher is maybe stupid, but at least he is funny...

(yeah, I know, I'm just trolling this thread)
                        bleh

Comment

How long have you live in Toronto? There are three subway lines, four if you count the Scarborough RT.
                          I do love Toronto but its subway system is a joke. From the limited number of lines to the simply archaic token system. Give me (and christ this is saying something) the London Underground any day.
                          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Asher: All your arguments have been proven wrong.

Let's recap your mistakes

Buses are the same size as streetcars: wrong
                            Buses carry more people than streetcars: wrong
                            Toronto has two subway lines: wrong
                            Bloor Street doesn't have an all-night bus: wrong (Route 300)
                            Steetcar tracks are dangerous: wrong
                            Steetcars don't have air con: wrong
                            People in wheelchairs can't use streetcars: wrong
                            Toronto doesn't have extended buses: wrong
                            Streetcars can only carry 65 people: wrong
                            Almost every city is getting rid of streetcars: wrong

We need to change the thread title to: Asher is stupid.
                            You are amazing...

Comment

You've done absolutely nothing to disprove anything. Everyone, quite literally everyone, viewing this thread shows that you've been owned and you lack the intelligence to see that.
                              I agree with Asher.

Comment

• Working...
                                X