Toronto is ridiculously stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto is ridiculously stupid

So in 1990-ish they spent a ton of money replacing the busses that run up and down Spadina Avenue with...Streetcars. So they screwed up traffic for years while installing the tracks, stations, etc. Then they discovered -- shock -- no one makes new streetcars anymore!

So they made a crown corporation (government owned corp) specifically to design and manufacture these streetcars. Huzzah!

So eventually these awful streetcars get installed. And now performance is worse than busses...if one streetcar encounters problems, you can't pass it! This happened earlier this week, backed up dozens of streetcars in a row pissing thousands of people off...

Another thing is they can't pass eachother when picking people up at the station. They usually come in bunches of 3-4 at rushhour, so the one at the front can load and the others queue behind. Instead of the empty streetcars behind skipping the stop and picking up the crowd at the next station, the car at the front still is in the front and tries to load up as many as possible. As such the front car is always VERY packed and the last car is deserted...

Anyway, this got even more stupid. They want 200 new streetcars with modern stuff like, you know, air conditioning. The pricetag? $1.5B for 200. $7.5 million dollars each for a frickin STREETCAR.

WOW.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH BUSSES?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

But streetcars attracts tourists.

Yes, TO is stupid. Awful city.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I agree with you for unrelated reasons.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Elaborate.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

lol...LOL

Toronto
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            Elaborate.
            See location field.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
              I agree with you for unrelated reasons.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Elaborate.
                You're there.
                What?

Comment

Asher >>>> Toronto
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu

You're there.
                    I'm doing my best to make it better. But when I ***** about things like the stupidity of the streetcars, people look at me like I'm crazy...this is a weird place.

That and the talk of the leafs winning the cup this year

This is another dimension.

Comment

I'm shocked by the idea that no one makes streetcars anymore.
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                        I'm shocked by the idea that no one makes streetcars anymore.
                        These guys do. For only $7.5M a piece you can have your very own!

Comment

These guys do. For only $7.5M a piece you can have your very own!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_T...nt_Corporation
                          What was wrong with Bombardier?
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

To make them purchase the company?

Comment

To make them purchase the company?
                              Er... the original question is why make a crown corp to make something that Bombardier already makes. Your question is equally valid
                              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                              X