Toronto is ridiculously stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tingkai
    No, it is the only lame argument against streetcars.

It's the same as saying subways can't get around obstacles so we should replace subways with buses. It's a stupid argument.
    It is not the same, because subways have many advantages compared to busses in terms of capacity. This is not the same for Streetcars.

If you didn't have your head stuck up your butt then you would know that doubledeckers are not feasible because in many cities are too tall. For example, and I'll try to explain this so you can undestand, the doubledeckers are too tall to get under things like bridges.

As for extension buses, the obvious problem is that the additional weight means more diesel is burnt which adds more air pollution.
    Have you not heard of electric busses? Seriously?

Ever been to any cities outside of Toronto? San Francisco for instance...

The really funny things is that you idiots are trying to defend Asher's troll, which I'll give a 8/10 for getting so many people to argue his troll.

Asher
    It's not a troll, there are no arguments at all in favor of streetcars over electric busses. Period.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

- $$$
      - punishing car traffic
      A reserved bus-lane does the same for less money.

It's expansive as well, and takes plenty of room. There are some elevated railr in Paris, and you can't have a street below them (you ed up having parking space)
      They at least bypass intersections.
      Last edited by Colonâ„¢; February 2, 2007, 14:51.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

Before you spout off with stupid comments about urban planning, you should read about Jane Jacob. If you don't know who she is you know nothing about urban planning.
        I know very well who she is. I missed a minor in urban planning by one class. Care to throw your credentials on the table?
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

That Zappa plays Zappa at the hummingbird back in the fall was a good show. So TO is good for some things. Not much but if you have a brain you will find merit in that that town somewhere....

As for the boring topic of streetcars. One can run over a calgarian for all i care.

Comment

he's played sim city many times?
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
              A reserved bus-lane does the same for less money.
              Yeah, but then you have cyclists, taxis and delivery drivers squatting it.

There are many bus-specific lanes in Paris, which have that exact problem.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Have the brilliant French thought of ticketing the people who do such things?

Here's to ingenuity.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Montreal has a bus/taxi lane on Rene Levesque. I never see regular cars in it.

Paris must suck.
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

It does. Parisians have no sense of respect for anyone but themselves. They rape children, support Iran with nukes, ship chemical weapons to Hussein, and drive in bus/taxi lanes.

Comment

You're forgetting about their bakery laws
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

France is ridiculously stupid. It follows then, when Toronto does things like they do in France (or vice versa), that Toronto is also ridiculously stupid.

Actually, this is an interesting point. Who is more stupid -- the city with the original dumb idea or the city who copied it?

Paris copycats.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Have the brilliant French thought of ticketing the people who do such things?
                          Nope, because they're allowed to.

Back when the bus lanes were installed (5 years ago or so), the delivery drivers simply couldn't work anymore. Paris' streets are too tight for modern traffic.

As to the taxis and cyclists, if you give them comfort, you encourage people using this kind of transportation instead of cars. So it makes sense to let them use the bus lane.

The tram is different however: it is on a line where there'll be many more travels than an ordinary bus (circling Paris, for which there is no subway line). The busses were very numerous, but the tram should be able to transport more people, and to act as a subway-equivalent.

Or at least, so goes the teory. In any case, most people think it necessary to build an actual circular subway line, not too far in the suburbs (suburbs are densely populated in France).
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            Nope, because they're allowed to.
                            So how the hell is it a reserved bus lane...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              So how the hell is it a reserved bus lane...
                              Cuz ordinary cars are forbidden from them.

Comment

Still not a reserved bus lane if non-busses can use them, yo...

Parisians.

Comment

Working...
                                X