Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    rail tracks which are hazards to cyclists and pedestrians
    Only Asher would trip over a streetcar track.

And only a complete idiot would consider the tracks to be hazards to cyclists. The tracks are flush to street level so just walk or ride over them.

Fact is that these streetcars are highly efficient.

- They run on electricity, instead of diesel so < air pollution
    - Existing street cars were built about 25 years ago and will continue running for another 10-15 years;
    - The double length ones carry more passengers;
    - Overall, very cost effective.

While it is true that a delay on the line can cause the streetcars to back up, the same can be said for any rail transit line. So it's a non-starter.

Red rockets
    Clumsy Calgarians
    Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
      While it is true that a delay on the line can cause the streetcars to back up, the same can be said for any rail transit line. So it's a non-starter.
      Except that it's a great starter when arguing for buses over streetcars.
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

And only a complete idiot would consider the tracks to be hazards to cyclists. The tracks are flush to street level so just walk or ride over them.
        Erm, storm drain grates are flush to street level and yet still make victims of cyclists, inflicting nasty injuries to inattentive riders. The tires get caught in the slits, just like they could get caught between the rails and the paved surface.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
          Except that it's a great starter when arguing for buses over streetcars.
          Nope, it's a pointless argument. It's like saying let's get rid of subways because they can't go around obstacles like buses can.

While Asher *****es about the Spadina streetcars line, it's basically an LRT like the one in Calgary.

As for storm grates, yes, it is true that complete klutzes who don't know how to ride a bike can get their tires caught in the grates. So let's ban storm grates to protect the Ashers of the world!
          Golfing since 67

Comment

Nope, it's a pointless argument. It's like saying let's get rid of subways because they can't go around obstacles like buses can.
            No, it is the main argument wrt to buses vs streetcars!

- They run on electricity, instead of diesel so < air pollution
            Electric Buses, Hydrogen cell buses etc... Buses don't only run on diesel just to back up your flimsy argument you know...

- Existing street cars were built about 25 years ago and will continue running for another 10-15 years
            Oooh, how cool! London Routemaster buses are 50+ years old, so another Tingkai argument shot down in flames! Also at least with buses, you're not stuck with the same ones for 35-50 years, so if better, more efficient and cheaper to maintain ones are made - you can get those!

- The double length ones carry more passengers
            Oh my god, double length ones - whatever next!!? So I'm guessing in the Tingkai universe double decker and bendy buses just don't exist?

- Overall, very cost effective.
            Why? You have given no reasons whatsoever why trams should be more cost effective that buses, despite being given the opportunity to rebuff Asher's reasons for the reverse.

While Asher *****es about the Spadina streetcars line, it's basically an LRT like the one in Calgary.
            So? We're talking about Toronto.

As for storm grates, yes, it is true that complete klutzes who don't know how to ride a bike can get their tires caught in the grates. So let's ban storm grates to protect the Ashers of the world!
            It's another ****ing street hazard for cyclists along the entire street!

Maybe now you should actually address Asher's issues, instead of going off on such an unnecessary and pointless tangent...
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Except the one in Calgary is actually a train, which makes a bit more sense...it's not a bus-sized car without the benefits of a bus.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I guess another issue I should bring up is that the streetcars are not wheelchair accessible, and require other passengers to help women with strollers to lift them up the steep steps to get on the car.

Busses, at least the ones in Calgary, can be/are "kneeling" and have ramps to become wheelchair accessible.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                  I have absolutely no idea why Paris installed that streetcar line instead of opting for a subway.
                  - $$$
                  - punishing car traffic

They at least could have gone for an elevated rail that wouldn't clog up the crosspoints.
                  It's expansive as well, and takes plenty of room. There are some elevated railr in Paris, and you can't have a street below them (you ed up having parking space)
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

the ****ty think with the paris system, and they still havnt found a way to fix this after many years, is the fact that the drivers will be on strike about 1 month out of every year.

bad service on those days.

par contre, en suisse, on n'a pas de droit de faire la grève. donc les TPG roulent 365 sur 365
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Electric buses. Works great in Vancouver.

Toronto is notorious for poor/non-existant urban planning.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                        Electric buses. Works great in Vancouver.

Toronto is notorious for poor/non-existant urban planning.

Before you spout off with stupid comments about urban planning, you should read about Jane Jacob. If you don't know who she is you know nothing about urban planning.
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

She's not on Wiki. Did you make her up?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                            No, it is the main argument wrt to buses vs streetcars!
                            No, it is the only lame argument against streetcars.

It's the same as saying subways can't get around obstacles so we should replace subways with buses. It's a stupid argument.

Oooh, how cool! London Routemaster buses are 50+ years old. Also at least with buses, you're not stuck with the same ones for 35-50 years.
                            Okay, it should be obvious to anyone with a brain, but I guess I have to explain this to you: if London used the Routemaster buses for 50+ years then it is really stupid to say that the benefit of buses is you're not stuck with them for 50 years.

Yes, you can replace buses and streetcars as often as you want. Duh.

I'm guessing in the Tingkai universe double decker and bendy buses just don't exist?
                            If you didn't have your head stuck up your butt then you would know that doubledeckers are not feasible because in many cities are too tall. For example, and I'll try to explain this so you can undestand, the doubledeckers are too tall to get under things like bridges.

As for extension buses, the obvious problem is that the additional weight means more diesel is burnt which adds more air pollution.

It's another ****ing street hazard for cyclists along the entire street!
                            Okay, yes if you were really dumb enough, and clearly you are, to ride your bicycle, not just parallel to the tracks, but directly on top of the tracks, your bicycle tire might just get stuck in the track.

Ohmigod, you're right. This is clearly a friggen street hazard. We need to rip up all the tracks to protect the idiots like you who might try to ride their bikes right along the tracks. Because if your tire got stuck, you might fall and bruise themselves.

The really funny things is that you idiots are trying to defend Asher's troll, which I'll give a 8/10 for getting so many people to argue his troll.

Asher
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

Golfing since 67

Comment

It's the same as saying subways can't get around obstacles so we should replace subways with buses. It's a stupid argument.
                                In Montreal, there are several areas in which the subway trains can go around any obstacles on the track. The system has never been held up all that long.

Also, Subways > Buses > Streetcars

Comment

Working...
                                X